New Member Follow User Gallery

Default ZBrush Vehicle Design

Hey guys, my name is Sander Verhoeven. I am a visual art student and for the last 4-5 months I have been focusing on vehicle design within ZBrush. These are the final images. Would love to get feedback from you!

Default Really cool!

Really cool design and really inspiring! Keep up the cool work! Would love to see one in a Gulf or Martini livery. What was the inspiration behind this?

Thank you!
    I'm planning to make more of these vehicles, so those liverys are definitely an option for the ones to come. Biggest inspiration has been the ekranoplan, which is a cancelled Soviet cold-war aircraft project. This plane makes use of the ground effect, which is the aerodynamic lift created while flying low above the water. I wanted to design a vehicle that makes use of this force. So I came up with a little back story about a futuristic racing tournament, which looks a lot like a reincarnation of the famous Schneider Trophy. With this story set, I knew the requirements of the vehicle I was going to design. I have used alot of different reference images mainly from F1, Le Mans, super cars, powerboats, jets and raceplanes. Besides those, Daniel Simon is always a very big inspiration for me.

Sander, all really cool inspirations! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I always love to hear about the story and inspiration behind a project. I work at Local Motors as a designer and have been exposed to a lot of fascinating design over the years but the ones I love the most are the ones with stories like yours-- projects that draw and real inspiration and are really cool! Pixologic featured your design on Facebook and I had to comment. I'm relatively new to this forum and still very bad at ZBrush, but this was the thing that made me go "Oh, I have to start, I've gotta do something. So thank you for inspiring me. I hope one day to make a formidable "racer" that could "battle" with this very design. Time to get going!

P.s. did you do the flames in photoshop?

Member Follow User Gallery

Hey Sander, amazing and inspirational work! Do you have some wireframe and/or wip shots to show?

Thank you Emiel.
    I'm afraid the wires are not really interesting, since it's an unoptimized high poly model. However I do have some early concepts from before going into ZBrush, which might be worth looking at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchesWeek7_lowres_03.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	484.9 KB 
ID:	460000  

This helmet is made with the same technique as the vehicle.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Nice! Did you use KeyShot to apply sticker/labels?

Yes those are all simple projections.

Really impressive work! thanks for posting. I had a question about your step by step. What are you doing between steps 2-3 to keep your corners so sharp? thanks!

I select the polygroups I wish to modify and use the "polish by groups" deformer. Sometimes in combination with a border mask to maintain the inner shape of the polygroup.

ahhh! thanks for replying really appreciate it, I had tried a whole bunch of things but it always made the polygroups too round or created gaps.