Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Thanks

Thanks to Zbrushcentral for the top row. It was a great pleasure to work on this project. A group of amazing artists put this together. I hope some day you guys will go to the SF Zoo see this in person.

I learned sculpting scales from Paul Liaw. He taught me scales floating on top of a wrinkle pattern. For the chameleon, I used spotlight as guide pattern to determine wrinkle direction and scale size. But each scale was hand sculpted. I was so lucky, the 4R7 released during I sculpted this. I was able to subdivide the model to 50 Million polys. It did take a long time, but I like the result very much.

The marine iguana's body has relativity uniform scale. I decided to finish the head and body in different ways.

For the Crocodile, I did study the scale pattern very hard. I had more than enough reference images around me all the time. Sometimes I had to draw guidelines in different color to figure out the wrinkle direction.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocodile_09.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	459657  

Wonderful, Thanks for sharing!

I can only imagine how fun that project (and hopefully future projects!) must be!

There is so much function and form to nature, and your attention to detail and realism is masterful.
    I would be so cool to decorate a home or yard with these exotic animal sculptures!

This thread and your works are as amazing as nature itself.

Quick question if you have the moment: How important do you think a background in traditional sculpture is to creating works such as these?

This is so worthy of a tv show to record the whole process and development to final product. The results are just so stunning!

fantastic and great to see a practical application of Zbrush

Member Follow User Gallery

incredible art!!

thanks for sharing your technique to sculpt the scales - the results are fantastic!

Hi Takai,
    Having a background in traditional sculpture and fabrication was extremely helpful for creating these.
    The traditional background comes into play not only in the digital sculpting but also in
    designing the animals in a way that can be molded, cast, and built strong enough to survive the public touching and climbing them.
    The most important thing Digital or Clay is "Practice Hours" and learning to "See".
    An excellent 3D modeler does not need clay experience to create beautiful sculptures. However it does help.

• Takai

• Quick question if you have the moment: How important do you think a background in traditional sculpture is to creating works such as these?

New Member Follow User Gallery

one of the best threads . results are awesome . thanks for sharing .

Stunning work. I have the same background, hand sculpting, foam carving, molding, casting, and now Zbrush and printing. As far as having traditional skills? It certainly can't hurt. I do have one question in this regard. Have you found that going digital has increased your skill as a traditional sculptor? It has enhanced mine greatly. Again, fabulous results. Congrats on the top row. It is well deserved.

Carver,
    Yes! Digital sculpting has increased my skill as a traditional sculptor. And Vice Versa.
    It all comes back to practice hours.
    In addition for me life drawing has always been a great exercise to improve my skills.

Rey

These are really all fine pieces and theaccompanying photos make for a lot of inspiration. I love all the texture details. How one goes from making a model in ZBrush (small?) to huge real life size outdoor models
    would make a wonderful documentary. Thank you for sharing.

Wow! Incredible job! Must have been a lot of fun to see all those zbrush sculpt being immortalized in bronze or concrete!

BEYOND INSPIRING! Must, must, must go there.

And you forgot to mention that each sculpture was beautifully painted, as well.

But I'm not getting anywhere near that crocodile. I don't care what anyone says, that thing is REAL.

Also, I checked out the Scientific Art Studio website... WOW you guys have done some amazing work.

Did you personally work on the Atlantis Dubai project? Those "artifacts" from Atlantis are very fun.

-E

Wooow!!! Outstanding work!!! Superb stuff !!! Fantastic details!!! Congrats!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast