ZBrushCentral

Windows 10 tale

I always am the first to brag when I do something great, but to counterbalance
I also confess to the mistakes.
After spending most of the day with Window 10 felt I must share.
Last Thursday I upgraded my two computers to Windows 10.
1.One had Windows 7 regular.
2. The other had Window 7 Ultimate.
The decision to do this was not done lightly
Did some research and felt that with the assurances that I could revert, I proceeded.
All went well except for a minor glich with Zbrush KeyShot License. Happened on both, support team
were great.
All went well for two days.
Late yesterday I saw one of the Windows programs was “Store”, basically you sign on and they (Microsoft)
either give you or sell you small programs.
During the sign in I was asked for a Password.
At certain sites I somewhat cavalier about passwords, but because I felt I might come back I was
a little more careful. I then downloaded a free program called "Wikipedia"and shut down the computer.
A side note here, in over the course of all the years of working with computers I have never typed
one to use the computer, nor do I use sign in’s.
Now.
This morning Windows 10 starts up and asked me for the password…I don’t have one.
Then I remembered yesterday and took a chance and entered the password I had given “Store”
It worked.
Now.
I get to the operating system and none of the Windows 10 features work.
a.You cannot access apps.
b.You cannot access edge.
c. You cannot access any tools and setting that are for Window 10 (which means you cannot rollback)
d. THe only way I could get online was to use a link I had created previously. it opened in Internet
Explorer and I went to Aol.
I am still under contract to HP and called them.
The technician created a second account for me on the computer that worked with the system.
HE then tried to copy all the file from the First User name to the Second user name, the copy
quit mainstream.
At this point I have:
A windows user account that does not operate window ( also holding a load of rollback information)
b. A second user that has the system but only half the files.
At this point I decided to go back to the original, The technician instruted my on the second user
to a set of menus that said rollback to Windows 7. Great…
I restart the computer and find I now have a third user name that has aol.com. This is the one that
puts me back to Windows 7.
I select it and…am asked for a password…There is not, never was, nor will there be a password
to start my computer…
If you have been following along: three user names and I have lost the abilty to rollback
Asked the technician to talk me through a total format.
Lucky for me I have Acronis and had done a backup.
The reason I post this is because I spent the morning looking for solutions and could find nothing
anywhere.
If you haven’t upgraded to windows 10, make sure you back up the system and do not rely on promise
from Microsoft that you can roll back
It does feel good to have old one back.
Long day

that’s a tale! epic!! thank you.
congrats on you successful DIY rollback using your backup - that’s the lesson to be learned here!
ALWAYS DO YOUR BACKUP!

cheers!
chem!

I upgraded to Win 10 but I backed up my Win 8.1 first with Easeus,they do a free version
so no excuse. :slight_smile:

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html

I hope this helps some one.