ZBrushCentral

Orc

Hey guys
I was heavily inspired to attempt doing my version of an Orc after I saw the ILM Cinematic shots, but I wanted to try it under all the next gen limitations for a realtime model.

So my render engine of choice was Marmoset Toolbag 2. These guys are amazing and they keep updating it with new features and it only gets better.

I started using Substance Painter this year and it has been one of my favorite tools ever. I love all the updates and the constantly search for improvement this guys have been doing.

Im writing a complete breakdown of this project and Ill include some Substance Painter tips on it as well. But, if you wanna dig deep into it, I`d recommend watching the Christophe Desse Tutorial about it. Tks for all the help my friend!

All the sculpting was done in Zbrush and final model/hair cards in Maya.

If you wanna see higher res images - http://glaucolonghi.com/portfolio/orc/

Attachments

012low.jpg

005low.jpg

006low.jpg

008low.jpg

004closeup-low.jpg

004-low.jpg

1 Like

Iiiiiii like it, also can’t wait for your substance painter tips’n’**** :cool:. I’ve had that software since the alpha release, but haven’t really taken time with it :>.

galuco, this is amazing! keep uploading images, we won’t get tired of seeing them ; )

Inspiring as always, awesome work!

Eae Glauco!
An Amazing work, I really like the way you did the textures, gave him a very poor and “weak” look on that metal stuffs.

wow! Looking forward to the breakdown :slight_smile:

awesome job ! textures are so nice. congrats

daaaaaamn, just look at THAT!
awesome as always Glauco! XD
looking forward to the breakdown; keep it up! o/

Well Glauco what can I say buddy, that is another amazing and super inspiring piece man. Thanks for sharing this work mate.:slight_smile:
The overall execeution of sculpting, texturing is insance man, love it so much. Cant wait seeing a small breadown of your texturing workflow.
Always a pleasure seeing new works of you man, they just kick you in the butt and you just want to work :smiley: so thanks for that man.

Cheers and happy sculpting,
Kenny :slight_smile:

Great one! :slight_smile: Looking forward for new art from you :slight_smile: Hope you will keep energy for this, after hard work day at ND :wink:
Cheers!

great work again man, top row or the world doesn’t make sense. :slight_smile:

awesome!!

Thank you a lot guys :wink:

Here we have some zbrush screenshots.

zb001.jpgzb1.jpgzb002.jpgzb4.jpgzb5.jpg

Nice!!! :+1:

Awesome work, love those nails

Nice one, Glauco. Digging the subtle details like hairs on the face and wear and tear on the belt.

Amazing Work glauco!! fantastic!!

Outstanding work, Glauco.

Thanks for all the kind words guys :wink:

Well, this project started when I saw the renders of the ILM orc months ago. Im a huge fan of all the Blizzard Cinematics work too and I really love this “realistic fantasy” style they are able to achieve. I play a little bit with rendering but its not definitely my forte. Maybe Im too anxious to wait or maybe I haven`t done as much as I should to understand it to a certain degree that I can get some cool results right away. My home computer was not built to render either which makes everything takes longer too.

Anyways, I like making realtime models. I like spending my time sculpting, texturing and playing with shader settings. I love the challenge to try achieving a “skin look” with limited resources.

To be honest, the new update of Marmoset Toolbag 2 is amazing. Great features, great lighting and shadow control, and shader features. I dont feel that much of limitation and now with Substance Painter, its an amazing combination to achieve good materials and textures. Ill be discussing it better later on. Im a huge fan of all Allegorithmic products!

Allright. I started this project like I always do. Gathering references. I`ve been using Pinterest a lot recently. One of the biggest inspirations for this project was a sketch done by JP Monge. I like the feeling of how “dumb” and stupid this kind of “orc/troll” look like. Big mouth, small eyes, helmet with horns. But I wanted to mix a bit of “Blizzard” and some more grounded/realistic stuff into this project. After creating a reference board, I jumped straight into Zbrush and started sketching with dynamesh and simple tools. I like taking screenshots and doing some paintovers myself to explore and design ideas.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
After the design was “defined” ( I ended up changing a lot), I started doing some retopo for better flow and easier sculpt/detailing later on. Ive mainly used Topogun and 3dsmax for that (Ive been constantly trying to do as much as I can on Maya but the modelling I still find it easier and faster on 3dsmax…BUT everything else Im fond of Maya pipeline). [FONT=arial] My main concern was a better edge flow for sculpting, uving and display at the realtime rendering. I was NOT concerned about best edge flow for animation or limited polycount. I deal with that on a daily basis at work and its time consuming, so for this project I wanted to have more “freedom” and not spend time with these stuff :wink: In the end, I had 2 small objects that were zremeshed. It does a pretty good damn job, and it`s faster!
4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
[FONT=arial]

After that, it was time to get back to Zbrush and start sculpting. I had all my main base meshes ready to go.

Nothing fancy or different than usual. Clay brush for main forms, standard and damn standard, move and some inflat. For detailing Ive used a few custom alphas and a lot of hand work. The accessories were not detailed that much. They look even too simple for my taste. I only did the main forms and breakdown because all the fine texture work and small damaged/wear and tear will be done in Substance Painter as I paint the colors/materials and so on. Its a little bit weird to get used to seeing this “unfinished look” but it`s worth it in the end :wink:
7.jpg8.jpg

Now its time to bake. I used to “hate” this process because it was so disconnected from the material creation. It used to be all separated process. Bake maps, paint diffuse, create shaders/materials and so on. Now with Substance Painter, its easier, fun and the process became merged into only one. I dont have to deconstruct the process anymore. So I grabbed my low poly meshes “subd 1” from zbrush, brought into Maya and started refining some topology and doing uvs. ![9.jpg|300x209](upload://RPCBUhx5UTsZs2rhx6GVaDh4mv.jpeg)![10.jpg|300x209](upload://rERwKd7ApPlD12cnT1bGxBXEsM2.jpeg) [FONT=arial] Lets use the “helmet” as an example of the power of Substance Painter. I can bake different sub objects using different high poly meshes, separated, but at the same time, in the same project. In the end, I have very clean normal map, of all my objects combined, with no interpolation but a really good AO of the completed piece. No more composing photoshop normal maps or exploding meshes and then baking AO aftwards, and so on.

All you have to do is to name your low poly meshes with _low in the end.

[FONT=arial]
Make sure your renaming the actual transform in Maya and not the shape or namespace. After that, you can select all your low poly meshes named and export as just one obj (this name doesnt matter. You can make it Helmet.obj) [FONT=arial]Do the same with the high poly objects, using the suffix _high (you can change these suffixes in substance painter if you want to). If you are exporting them out of Zbrush, make sure you turn GRP off in the export menu. If you have polygroups or other crazy groups, zbrush will name it and it wont work anymore.

11.jpg12.jpg