ZBrushCentral

Fan Art: 3D Printed Doctor Who Cyberman Helmet

Hey All,

I wanted to post images of a personal project I have been working on for my son and me for Halloween. I have been a fan of Doctor Who for a while and finally got around to recreating a few Cyberman helmets. The helmets were created entirely inside of ZBrush and printed out on a MakerBot Replicator 2. For this thread I will be breaking down the process I used to create the helmets with simple image tutorials (some short tutorial videos may follow.)

Completing two sets of Cyberman armor is also on the list but it’s not looking like I will have completed before this year’s Halloween :slight_smile:

On to the Images:
ZBC_04.jpg

ZBC_01.jpg

ZBC_02.jpg

ZBC_03.jpg

Then had some fun at the ZBrush Summit with one of the Helmets :slight_smile:

(“Louie Tucci as the Doctor” - Joe Menna)
ZBC_06.jpg

Was honored by Rick Baker posing for a photo!
ZBC_05.jpg

-Joseph

3 Likes

Here are the first few breakdowns for the helmet. Hope it helps!

CybermanHelmet_BreakDown.jpg

CybermanHelmet_ZModeler.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Extract.jpg

CybermanHelmet_DynaMesh.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_BreakDown.jpg

CybermanHelmet_DynaMesh.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Extract.jpg

CybermanHelmet_ZModeler.jpg

1 Like

Some breakdowns/workflows for working with ScanData. This process was used to make the helmet wearable.

-Joseph

Attachments

1 Like

WOW, WOW AND WOW. amazing job and love how you show the workflow- TOP ROW!!!

wow. your work always embodies the soul of what zbrush is all about. thanks for sharing and the continued inspiration and technical expertise! you da man!!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

So cool! It came out neat!
Thanks for sharing the process! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I saw you at the summit with that helmet! Really cool retro vibe to it. :+1:
Useful breakdown.

This is great Joseph! I’m amazed that was printed on a Makerbot Replicator 2 though… How did you get them so smooth? Was there a lot of sanding down? Does the filament lend itself well to sanding? What did you use to do it? The surface looks flawless!

Appreciate you sharing this!
Cheers,
Seán

Thanks all for the kind words!

@seanforsyth: I tried to print the parts as vertical as possible; I then sprayed the print with car primer/filler and sanded that down to get the smooth finish. I am working on creating little image tutorials based on the entire process (including the finishing.)

Here is another set of images on how I created the inner helmet cavity. The ‘Create Shell’ function was used to establish an even starting thickness across the model. More to come!

CybermanHelmet_CreateShell1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_CreateShell2.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_CreateShell1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_CreateShell2.jpg

1 Like

Another quick one on creating the Printer Build Reference Volume. With the scene scale being set previously using ‘Step Size’ with the ZModeler brush will produce .5 inch steps. This is useful in quickly blocking out the Printer Build Volume to make sure that the helmet will be broken into printable size chunks. (Volume is purposely generated smaller to leave room for error. You really only want to slice up a model for print once :wink: )

CybermanHelmet_PrinterBed.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_PrinterBed.jpg

1 Like

Great piece Joseph!

:+1:Thanks for sharing such a superb in depth workflow presentation Joseph :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: Look forward to seeing how you proceeded with the actual printing proces and the clean-up/painting :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

1 Like

That’s awesome Joseph! As ever, your tutorials are clear and concise, the best on the web in my opinion - appreciate it a lot! Can’t wait to see the priming and finishing tutorial.
Cheers!
Seán

Thanks mutte696, Etcher, and seanforsyth; glad to see that these are useful =)

Here is another set of tutorial images. I try to model as much as possible with the ZModeler brush until I run into something that would be faster to create using the DynaMesh Subtraction process. At this point I convert the ZModeler geometries to DynaMesh and perform the DynaMesh Boolean Operations.

The processes show in these images is really fast to complete inside of ZBrush it just looks huge when broken out to small images steps.

Continuing onward with these image tutorials :slight_smile:

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate2.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate3.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate4.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate2.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate3.jpg

CybermanHelmet_FacePlate4.jpg

2 Likes

Here are two more Tutorials on slicing the model up. Lots of ZModeler and DynaMesh Subtraction usage. Basic premise is to build a volume, duplicate it, and then modify the volumes to create a positive and negative subtraction object. This allows for each part to be subtracted creating a clean break.

CybermanHelmet_Slicing1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Slicing2.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_Slicing1.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Slicing2.jpg

2 Likes

Here are two more image tutorials. One on using Decimation Master to reduce the polycount of the model for printing (I hope everyone already knows how to do this :wink: ) The second covering using the 3D Print Exporter to export out the SubTools as separate *.STL files that are all scaled correctly :slight_smile:

Hope these help!

CybermanHelmet_Decimation.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Exporting.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

CybermanHelmet_Decimation.jpg

CybermanHelmet_Exporting.jpg

1 Like

what kind of paint did you use to get the metallic effect?
thank you for all the awesome tutorial images too!

Cool stuff! :slight_smile:

This is awesome Joseph!! Thanks for sharing your pipeline to 3D print in Zbrush. Already learned some tips! :smiley:

Greetings from Spain :smiley:

I liked your technique. Excellent job.