Member Follow User Gallery

Default WIPS since starting school! Snake-man!

Hello everyone! I haven't posted anything here in quite a while but I figured since this semester has been dominated by my Advanced Modeling course (Character modeling, yay!) I thought I'd post some of my WIPS thus far and see what the community thinks Any and all criticisms welcome, I've only been doing this for a little under 2 years total and I'm looking forward to growing as an artist Please note: The leg and arm length are intentional per the assignment, so I tried to do the best I could so far with that and make the muscles exaggerated but believable. I also included a picture showing my topology and low-poly count Cheers!

Playing with polypaint, not great but considering this is my first time really using it I think it's a suitable wip to post for critique. Luckily, Zbrush crashed and i hadn't saved so i get to redo it (more practice).

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

that's really good for a first try. All I got from my first try of ZBrush was a headache.

There's something in polypainting you can do to shade in all the little cracks between the scales. Go to masking and mask by cavity. Reverse the mask and you can paint in all the crevices. It's really good. Don't forget, each time you start with a new colour, make a new layers, so you can adjust it afterwards without having the destroy what you're already done.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try, I'm curious to see how it'll look I haven't done anything with painting and layers though, care to elaborate?

I did what you recommended! Here's an updated picture

Here's an updated close up with a different material and some eyes, and a little bit of his tank top. Sculpting clothes is harder for me than anything else on this model so it definitely looks a little rough for now

Layers are a must! Go to the layers tab, then press new layer for each time you're doing something new, like a new colour or something. So by the end you should have each different paint colour on a new layer. This means, if there's one colour you've put on but it's too strong or too weak, you can adjust that colour alone with the slider without ruining the other painting you're done. You can also simply turn off layers if you decide you don't like them. Give it a try.

Default New Project, WIPS aplenty: The start of a lady

Continuing in class we now have to model a wrestler. I chose Stacy Kiebler so I could work on my female form sculpting, specifically choosing her because she was never super muscle-y but toned. We haven't started on the face/hair yet, and i need to thicken the digits on her hands a bit, but this is where I'm at so far. Proportionally she measures out and the base i started as was box modeled in 3DS, then imported to brush for remitting and refining. All critiques welcome

Default New Project, WIPS aplenty: The start of a lady

Continuing in class we now have to model a wrestler. I chose Stacy Kiebler so I could work on my female form sculpting, specifically choosing her because she was never super muscle-y but toned. We haven't started on the face/hair yet, and i need to thicken the digits on her hands a bit, but this is where I'm at so far. Proportionally she measures out and the base i started as was box modeled in 3DS, then imported to brush for remitting and refining. All critiques welcome

I would say as an advice, lower your subdivision level, subdivision 5 (or 4) is not justified yet at this stage, work on proportions and volumes, silhouette,
    then only when you get something you consider ok, move up a subdivision level and add details etc...

I can see from your lizard man, you try to add too much details too early IMHO
    keep your reference always up, other than that, Stacy Keibler, you can't go wrong what a fine lady.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the advice! I am working in sub 1 and 2 currently, added a 3rd and 4th subdivision for finer detail when I'm ready for it, but definitely working on form and shape first. My lizard man was due in class so i tried to do what i could in the time I had, I didn't vary the texture more than different sizing on the scales in some areas, but I definitely understand what you're saying and appreciate the critique. And yes, miss Stacy is indeed a fine lady I can only hope to do her legs justice. Regarding what I have here as far as proper anatomy and such, do you see any problem areas other than the hands?

well the figure is a bit too small I think, the forearm seems at touch too long compared to the rest of the arm, feet are too small

I did a quick observation using this picture, I marked the whole volum of the quadriceps (roughly) the line of the tibia (the interior line) and landmarks of the arm relative the the body (elbow, wrist) that should give you an idea
    I didn'ty measured the figure in term of head coz i'm lazy, but go ahead and you should be in the ballpark after some adjustment, so far as I said, yours seems a bit short overall.

hope it help, have fun.

Thank you! Actually, I box modeled her against this very same picture (exact proportion when i started -.-) and have been making changes since per my professor's comments on the scale, pose, etc. I had thought the quads looked a little thin, I'll definitely adjust those a bit . I knew my forearms were better off longer, I shortened them after one of our TA's critiqued them saying they were too long. I'll scale and readjust the wrist while I'm at it, got a weird bendy shape going on currently

Yeah your proportion probably went wrong once you smoothed or changed the pose, because I did a quick check and it seems you are about half a head shorter, maybe up to .75 head shorter,
    which isn't anything enormous, but enough to give a whole different feel

I also did quick measurement (nothing very precise, but just to give an idea) from Anterior superior iliac spine to the tibia, about 2.8 heads, from tibia to about bottom of the ankle (well roughly tibia lenght) about 1.5 head
    forearm seems about 1.2 head lenght (elbow - wrist) the rest of the arm measured from the acromion to the elbow, is about 1.4 head, the hand excluded
    By the way, I didn't say your forearm was too short, but that it seemed too long compared to the rest (on my previous post) just to be clear, but best if you measure it yourself and compare it, it was just an observation eyeballing it.

As you can see from my comparison, it seems you got the proportion about right for the upper body, and it goes short for the lower body, and yes, I know the pose are not identical, but even with that in mind, it seems obvious to me.

Default Continuing work on Stacy Keebler project/character sculpt

Thank you so so so much for the input!! Since you last saw my sculpt I've done quite a bit of work on it. Still a lot of adjustments to be made, have since started clothing as well, and added hair. Lost some detail when i remeshed, still have to deal with that, and i haven't been doing a great job of watching my poly's since the project has had me changing things around. I know i can get the face down a lot better still, I've done so before with my Bruce Lee face sculpt, but I'm ok with this slowly turning into someone different for the sake of the project (personally I'll keep working until the face looks exact lol). Here is progress thus far, as always more critiques are definitely encouraged I was charged with clothing her however i like, and i still have to give her a top and a helmet. Haven't decided on the top yet. My wrinkles need a lot of work, but all in all i figure that if i put the work in I can someday become a character modeler somewhere awesome so here are the current WIPS, enjoy! (ignore her lack of eyeballs, and the missing feet. She's wearing heels and the pictures clipped them without my noticing)