ZBrushCentral

Ring Master! unofficial - Information, Installation

Ring Master!
[CLICK HERE TO GET CURRENT VERSION]
(Current Version is 1.3 Updated 03/25/2016)
by: Joseph Drust

Ring Master allows you to quickly create Ring Band Basemeshes at a precise size for Jewelry creation

This plugin is unofficial.

thumbnail.jpg

Main features

• Creates a Ring Band Basemesh at a precise mm size, thickness, and width
  • Exports out to scale via *.obj
  • Great for using with the ZModeler Brush and Dynamesh to create rings
  • No need for an external application to create a precise ring band for use in ZBrush.

Usage

RingMaster.jpg
Video Tutorial:

//youtu.be/qL2Q-pez-9A

Installation
**** Make sure you have updated to ‘ZBrush 4R7 P3’ or later! *****

ZBrush 4R7 32bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.0_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.
Ring Master will be located under the Zplugin tab.

ZBrush 4R7 64bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.0_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs64\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.

*The plugin will create a new tool that contains a 1in(25.4mm) cube, a precise mandrel, and the ring band.
*Use *.ZTL when saving any created ring files (The creation process uses multiple tools to generate the band that can cause *.ZPR bloating.)

*As always, remember to save before using!

Change Log

v1.0: Initial GumRoad Public Release

Notes

Over the holidays I started messing with some 3D Printed ring designs and needed ring bands to be a precise scale. I grew tired of leaving ZBrush to generate a certain sized band, so I wrote this little script so I never have to again :slight_smile:

This will be the first plugin I will be releasing with a cost associated with it (price is set at $1.) The link to the plugin is below and will take you to my GumRoad site: https://gumroad.com/piggyson#

I have created quite a few ring basemeshes using this plugin then modified inside of ZBrush with the ZModeler Brush, Nanomesh, and Dynamesh. So far they all have held the correct size and printed well on a FormLabs Form2 but I am far from an experienced coder so if you run into any bugs please post them in this thread and I will try to get them resolved. :slight_smile:

Hopefully this plugin will be useful! I had a flux capacitor moment when I got it to work and have been making rings non stop.

-Joseph

1 Like

Thank you so much for this plug-in!
Thank you also for all others you have been working on, although this last one is - for me personally - going to be a big help :slight_smile:

Kind regards and a most healthy, creative and enjoyable 2016!

Eldero

1 Like

Thank you very much Joseph very very useful.

1 Like

I didn’t know Joseph Drust was a ring guy. Well well. I’m just waiting for a real measuring tool, and real life units into Zbrush :slight_smile:
(though it’s possible to check on Print Exporter plugin for that)

Thank you Joseph! you’re the ZPlugin Master, Zbrush and Jewelry is a big reality, all improvements focused on this application will be more than welcomed!

@Tetsuo

I didn’t know Joseph Drust was a ring guy. Well well. I’m just waiting for a real measuring tool, and real life units into Zbrush :slight_smile:
(though it’s possible to check on Print Exporter plugin for that)

The units shown on the Action Line are millimeters (divided to tenths of millimeters).
You can create a cube that corresponds to say 3 big units on the action line. If you then go to 3D Print Exporter and click millimeters and Update Size Ratios you’ll see that the values there are in line with what you created. (provided that you don’t have any other subtools outside of the cube - the values there show the size of the entire scene, but I guess you’re aware of that)

EDIT: Why other units in ZBrush do not correspond to this is rather curious :slight_smile:
EDIT2: nevermind

Great job Joseph :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Great plugin!

1 Like

Great job on the Plug-in! Thanks!:+1:

1 Like

Many thanks!
It’ll be huge help :slight_smile:
I wish to support with more $, didn’t allow me to do so…
d.

Joseph - first off I would like to say thanks for creating this little piece of magic. I also use ZB for making jewellery and this really simplifies my process for iterating base meshes. Nice job!

I also wanted to let you know that when I downloaded the files yesterday I noticed that the files in the 32 bit folder are named the same as the files in the 64 bit folder. Not sure if the files are different as I only loaded the 64 bit versions.

Thanks again for this plugin and all the other awesome work you do for the community.

Stephen

Just purchased this… Awesome plugin!

Ring Master!

Ring Master allows you to quickly create Ring Band Basemeshes at a precise size for Jewelry creation

thumbnail.jpg

Main features

• No need for an external application to create a precise ring band for use in ZBrush.

UsageRingMaster_v11.jpg

Video Tutorial:

//youtu.be/nn9ZXTp84GE

Installation

ZBrush 4R7 32bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.1_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.

ZBrush 4R7 64bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.1_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs64\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.

*The plugin will create a new tool that contains a 1in(25.4mm) cube, a precise mandrel, and the ring band.
*Use *.ZTL when saving any created ring files (The creation process uses multiple tools to generate the band that can cause *.ZPR bloating.)

Change Log

v1.1: Added US Half Sizes, Increased MM values for creating Bracelets, Added Config options, Added Gem Stones

Notes

Thank you all for the support; I am glad to hear that the plugin is of use! By request I have added some additional options to the plugin. The addition of US Half Sizes has been added along with the ability to modify the default values for these (watch the above for how to do this.) The mm value has been increased to allow the creation of bracelets up to 80mm. Help text should now show up correctly and the storing of the default settings should now work in the x32 version.

Finally I have added the support for Gem Stones. This will allow you to create new subtools with the correctly sized stones. These stone files can be replaced with custom ones if needed (see video above.)

If you have already downloaded the plugin through my GumRoad site you should recieve an email with a link to the new version. If you do not let me know and I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile: Here is the link my GumRoad site: https://gumroad.com/piggyson#
If you run into any issues or potential bugs just post them here and I’ll attempt to fix them :slight_smile:

-Joseph

P.S. If you are looking for more information relating to creating Jewelry inside of ZBrush I recommend checking out Tomas Wittelsbach’s thread here on ZBC: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?61205-T-S-Wittelsbach-s-Jewelry-Sketchbook

Looks like just the perfect little plug-in for me! All my ring designs have to first be made in another 3D prog and then imported into ZB. No longer! Will definitely be buying.

Hi, Great plugin. I’m trying to make UK sizes but the pluggin doesn’t update some sizes when I use the mm tab. For example it doesn’t reconise a 19.8mm measurement. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Can i can the txt file within the plugin folder to make UK sizes instead of US?

Thanks for your help, cool plugins

@montana2008: On the mm slider make sure you type in 19.8 then hit enter (Sliders in ZBrush read as crazy numbers occasionally so this will show up as 19.79999 after hitting enter.) After creating the band and exporting it should read as 19.8mm inside of Netfab.

Yup! You can edit the text file to make the default sizes equal UK ones instead of the US ones :slight_smile:

-Joseph

Thanks for that!, ill give it ago :slight_smile:

Do you have any plans to write a plugin using q-mesh so when extruding polys it can extrude to a grid of meters/cm or mm? It doesn’t have to snap to a grid but extrude in set measurements? This would be cool i would pay for it for sure. Maybe other people would to?

all the best
Montana

@montana2008: unfortunately none of the ZModeler Brush options are exposed for ZScripting :frowning:

Ring Master!

(Version 1.2 Updated 02/01/2016)

thumbnail.jpg

Main features

Usage

RingMaster_v12.jpg

Video Tutorial:

//youtu.be/hjDljWEYJow

Installation

ZBrush 4R7 32bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.2_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.

ZBrush 4R7 64bit:
UnZip the RingMaster_v1.2_x32.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\ZPlugs64\ folder.
Restart ZBrush.

Change Log

v1.1: Added US Half Sizes, Increased MM values for creating Bracelets, Added Config options, Added Gem Stones
v1.2: Added the ability to align gemstones on the band. Added Array functionality, and Custom gem stones using InsertMesh Brushes. Thanks to @][-][4Z4R][)) for the recommendations and idea :slight_smile:

Notes

If you have already purchased Ring Master from GumRoad you should receive an email with a link to this updated version. Check your spam folders :slight_smile:

I added some additional functionality to the gem stones area. The gem stones can be placed on the band and repeated if desired. Also added the ability to use any InsertMesh object as a ‘Custom’ gem stone. Simply select an InsertMesh brush make sure ‘Custom’ is on and click “Add Gem Stone Subtool”

Link my GumRoad site to download if you haven’t already purchased: https://gumroad.com/piggyson#
If you run into any issues or potential bugs just post them here and I’ll attempt to fix them :slight_smile:

-Joseph

Thanks for the update Joseph, great work!

I noticed an odd issue in v1.2

1. Draw > Perspective is automatically turned on when "Create Ring Basemesh" is hit. Seems like a bug as not all users will want that on when working with this awesome plugin.
Suggestion/idea - I've noticed when creating rings that have fewer than 64 "sides" to them that they tend to shrink quite a bit when they are subdivided. Which is why I'm assuming you set the default to 64. But It would be great if there was an check box that would create a ring (no matter what the segments were) that when the ring was then subdivided it would then match the size set in your Size slider. This may be easier said than done. But, a lot of times I want fewer control points when creating these rings so that I can deform them easier/smoother. But then I have to re-size them to the right size since they shrink so much when subdividing.

Keep up the good work! :smiley:

Eric,

There’s a useful little macro here which may help with reducing shrinkage during sub-division:

Proportional Subdivision