ZBrushCentral

Lionel Cornelius Jr - Sketchbook

Starting a general sketchbook this time to drop my sketch things, projects, wips and stuff in.

First one for 2016 is the Grand Inquisitor for the Star Wars Reimagined contest over on CG+

inquisitor_concept_comp2.jpg

Found some time to mess with this over the weekend. Mainly playing around with design and shapes at the moment. Hope I can get more time refine this coming week so I can move on to posing and building that light saber.

grand-inquisitor-2.jpg

grand-inquisitor-3.jpg

forgot to post these. More progress on Grand Inquisitor. Added some detail, still exploring shapes, etc. I need to finalize this so I can get it in by the deadline.

grandInquisitor_01.jpg

grandInquisitor_02.jpg

Attachments

grandInquisitor_01.jpg

grandInquisitor_02.jpg

welp, this wraps up my first completed project for 2016. Had a lot of fun, made some mistakes, got aggravated, hated this piece and then loved it again. Really glad I stuck it out and finished. With that said, here’s my final entry for the Star Wars Reimagined contest.

lionel-cornelius-jr-grand-inquisitor-final.jpg

Quickie Deadpool sketch after watching the movie.

lionel-cornelius-jr-deadpool-final.jpg

Attachments

lionel-cornelius-jr-deadpool-final.jpg

I love the simplicity of your dead pool. Your overall composition is great.

owlhowelll - thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

couple of things I’m working on now:

John Henry:
I wanted to dig into this concept or idea of John Henry and who he was as a folk hero.
I was pretty unaware of his story until watching the short by Disney with my son. Since then, John has been on my mind.
I’ve also been wanting to get into doing sculptures with the potential of printing them. So I married the two ideas here.
So I’m still very much into the blocking phase at this point, with a rough-ish pose. I like where it’s at so far but would love to
get some feedback from the community if anything stands out as odd at the moment.

john_henry-030616-2.jpg

Cable:
This one started as bust, or it was supposed to be just that. I like the way it was going so I continued working on it. During the creation of this one, I started
a new workflow process for myself using insert mesh brushes. I created the brushes from other models that I’ve made in the past, using those as base. The goal was to see how quickly I could
get a character put together, thus worrying less about anatomy and construction techniques and more on design and shape language. Not so sure I’m successful
yet but it’s a start :). Again, crits are welcome…I’m here to learn like everyone else.

Cable bust I worked up first
cable-022816-2.jpg

Then went back to refine the body a bit using insert mesh. I wanted to retain the sculpting process a bit so the pieces I used are
not final at all. Just a decent base to work from instead of starting completely from scratch with ZSpheres, like I usually do.
cable-030616-1.jpg

Attachments

cable-030616-1.jpg

john_henry-030616-2.jpg

Found a little more time to work on Cable yesterday. Still in blocking phase and figuring things out, which I’m starting to believe is my favorite part of the creation process. May try to block out the gun today…we’ll see.

cable-031216-3.jpg

Attachments

cable-031216-3.jpg

Bison fan art. Love playing with this dude on SFV.

lionel-cornelius-jr-bison-final.jpg

little more work on Mr henry. Changed the pose slightly and now experimenting with a base.

also, some other random stuff i did last week:

frankenstein
frankenstein_032616.jpg

and random girl from a concept I found on pinterest
randomGirl_pose.jpg

Attachments

something I started working on right after Alien day. Been wanting to do a Giger piece for awhile and finally took a step to doing so.

alien-050316.jpg

Attachments

alien-050316.jpg

calling this one done

alien-final.jpg

Did this one a week ago or so. forgot to post here :). Just started watching GoT about a month ago and instantly loved it. I’m all the way caught up now…but I’m still waiting for winter to come.

whiteWalker-final_800.jpg

back to working on personal pieces a bit. John henry is almost done and Cable is blocked in for the most part.
john_henry-sheet-1.jpg

john_henry-sheet-1.jpg

cable-070516-3.jpg

cable-070516-4.jpg

Attachments

cable-070516-3.jpg

cable-070516-4.jpg

john_henry-sheet-1.jpg

john_henry-sheet-1.jpg

final shots of John Henry
john_henry-shot7.jpg

john_henry-shot8.jpg

john_henry-shot3.jpg

john_henry-shot2.jpg

john_henry-shot6.jpg

Attachments

john_henry-shot2.jpg

john_henry-shot3.jpg

john_henry-shot6.jpg

john_henry-shot7.jpg

john_henry-shot8.jpg

Stranger Things fan art I made a few nights ago. I really dug the show.

demogorgon-creature-shot1.jpg

demogorgon-creature-shot2.jpg

Attachments

demogorgon-creature-shot1.jpg

demogorgon-creature-shot2.jpg

trying something different and out of my comfort zone tonight. Some kind of cross between an orca and a lizard man.

orca_creature-072616.jpg

Attachments

orca_creature-072616.jpg

So I tried challenging myself to do a monster sculpt every day this month. It’s day 5 and I know I bit off way more than I could chew.
The first 3 sculpts are pretty bad. I’ve spent anywhere between 2-4 hours on them and learned that and my concept skills need a lot of
improvement for quick sculpts…and in general.

For the worm sculpt, I used a concept I found on Pinterest and spent a lot more time on it. It was a lot easier for me this way as I
didn’t have to rely on design while sculpting at the same time. I will probably bounce back and forth between found concepts and
my own designs for the remainder of the month.

Also decided I’m just going to do monsters, mostly :), for the month regardless of the day. For now though, I’m almost caught up with
the days and will continue to try and sculpt one monster per day. If anyone has some tips or suggestions on how I can get better and improve I’m all ears.

Here’s a couple of sculpts from what I’ve done so far.

creature-0802-comp.jpg

Clay.jpg

2016-08-04.png

clayShot.jpg

clayShot2.jpg

Attachments

clayShot.jpg

clayShot2.jpg

little fan art of Carnage. I always have fun creating symbiotes.

lionel-cornelius-jr-carnage-final.jpg