Member Follow User Gallery

Default Dynamesh Shell Thickness Calculator [External]

This seemed like the most appropriate section to post this, despite not being a ZScript... I plan to make it one in the future though, once I've studied up on that more.

As someone who does a lot of 3D print work, it became very tedious to keep measuring to see if I got the right shell thickness after blindly selecting a thickness value.

What 'Thickness' your shell will end up is relative to the Dynamesh 'Density', 'Thickness' and your scene's 'Output Scale' value, so to know the true thickness a given 'Thickness' value will give you isn't very simple. This tool makes it very straight forward.

http://invertex.xyz/DynameshThicknessCalculator/

All the instructions are on the webpage.

(*Output Scale is a feature not many people know about, but often when you import an object it will have a custom 'Output Scale' applied, and this has an effect on your shell thickness generation, as well as what value shows in the "3D Print Exporter". It's also a handy way to scale everything in your scene for export and shell generation, without having to use the manipulator, nor will it affect how the 'Dynamesh Density' calculates your poly density, so you can scale as much as you want without needing to adjust the Density.)

(*Shell Creation tip: If you want to create a hollow mesh with no openings, you can simply use the 'Insert Sphere; brush, draw out a very tiny sphere on the mesh while holding 'ALT', clear the mask and then do your 'Create Shell' operation. The sphere will be meshed away since it was much smaller than your shell thickness, and you end up with a water-tight hollow mesh.)

(The math behind this is: (Thickness / Output Scale) *
    0.5 * Dynamesh Resolution.
    Hopefully in the future, Pixologic can integrate this math into the 'Create Shell' function so that actual scene units can be input instead of the current arbitrary value.)

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Nicely done figuring out the math behind the shell thickness

I don't do any 3D prints but I am sure those that do will find this very useful.
    Mark

Thanks , that's very good to know...

My GumRoad

ZTree
    Terrain Tools (OS X)
    Terrain Tools (Win x64)

Thanks for the tip Invertex.
    Adding to Calipers soon

I was going crazy trying every time a different value of thickness ...

Just tried and bookmarked your calculator.
    It is very handy and useful: thank you very much!