Default Hoko's Sketchbook

Hey guys,

So I've been lurking on here for a little while, and I'm very new to Zbrush, but here's a little bit about myself. I'm a tattooer from New Zealand who specializes in black and grey Realism, and for awhile now, I've grown disenfranchised with tattooing realism (which mostly consists of photoshopping images together, then tracing them), and the subject matter that comes with the territory (which is mainly Bernini statue sleeves/portraits). So, to shake things up a little, and in an effort to get more creative with my art, I've decided to get amongst the CG and start learning Zbrush. I'm a couple of months in, and I've been fortunate to have had a really good response from people in regards to getting my sculpts tattooed. However, I've only really just started to get the hang of it, and, with the help of Keyshot, create images that are good reference for tattooing. I've got a lot to learn.

The images that I've been making are rendered perhaps somewhat nontraditional (judging from feedback on other peoples renders). My aim is to make them extremely readable in monochrome, meaning they need to have a strong light source, with specular highlights, it's all about contrast.

Here are a couple of renders I've made in the past few days, both to be tattooed next week. The client has asked for my interpretation of the Seven Deadly Sins, so I've started with Gluttony, and Lust. Any critique/pointers are much appreciated!

Here is Gluttony.... Pretty straight forward, I wanted him to look clammy, like a piece of meat.

Here is Lust... And I think you can use your imagination for this one. The themes aren't exactly subtle haha. Definitely some of the most fun I've had with a sculpt, I learned a lot making this.

Cheers!

Yesterday I created another piece for this series... Sloth. I rendered with Keyshot, using three different render passes, overlayed in Photoshop. I'd really like to learn more about rendering with Keyshot, however I felt like I learned a lot yesterday.

And for anyone who is interested, here are the three busts tattooed. We still have an extremely long way to go on this, it generally takes quite a while for a side panel to start shaping up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12779220_10207015917888991_7051523470791140501_o.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	538.9 KB 
ID:	490840  

So it's been quite a while since I've updated this, but here goes. Here's another two busts for the Sins rib piece, Envy and Greed. I learned a lot making these, and I've come leaps and bounds since then, but as always, critique is welcomed. I've also added each piece tattooed.

Here's another piece I made for a tattoo. This was quite some time ago, and there are parts that could really have used more time/experience (cough cough hands), but I was happy with the overall aesthetic of it.

Another piece made for a tattoo. I was extremely pushed for time when making this, so I put very little effort in creating an image that looked good by itself, instead focusing on what would tattoo well.

This piece here was a personal project that I made for fun. It's still one of my favourite things I've made in Zbrush. Rendered in Keyshot

This is another piece made for a tattoo. My client asked for satanic Odin. This has been my only attempt thus far to make hair, and it's far from perfect so I could really use some pointers there. I just got it to a stage where I could use it very loosely for reference, and freehand it for the tattoo, which is still in progress. CNC welcome!

This was my most recent sculpt. While on a tattoo trip to the UK over the past few weeks, a client seen the previous Odin piece and wanted something similar, but with Chronos. However, I made the mistake of showing him an in progress quick BPR render with standard materials and settings, and for some reason he preferred that over the final Keyshot render. He had his heart set on that, so I made do with A LOT of freehand, which I enjoy. As always, constructive critique and criticism is more than welcome.