ZBrushCentral

Alec's Sketchbook

Hello, ZBrush Central community! My name is Alec, and I am currently a senior in high school. I am an aspiring character/creature artist for video games, and I want to learn as much as I can about ZBrush before heading off to college. I will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design starting this fall to gain the necessary knowledge and skills needed to pursue my dream career. I am starting a sketchbook here that will track my progress as I continue to learn. I’ll start it off by posting some of my recent work. Critique is always welcome, of course!

Attachments

Cave Dweller.jpg

Four-arms.jpg

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

Cave Dweller Design.jpg

Here is a new sculpt I’ve been working on. I call him Rat Bat (T-13). He is the 13th test subject of a gene splicing experiment between a rat and a bat. The experiment went terribly wrong and resulted in this vicious, nimble, seven-foot tall creature! Anyway, here are some WIP renders of his musculature and a test pose that I did earlier in the sculpt’s development. I’ll be playing around with Fibermesh and some textures in a little bit. I hope you like it.

IMG_0791.JPGIMG_0776.JPG

Attachments

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

Nice! this guy has a lot of potential i think…scary too. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the ‘rat-bat’ :slight_smile:

Thanks skinnybonez!

I’m now done with the sculpt (still sculpting some tertiary details), the pose, and the base. I’ll have to experiment more with Fibermesh to get believable hair, and I’ll paint him soon as well.

I finished a grayscale comp for the Rat Bat last night.

Oh man, it’s been WAY too long since I last posted here! I can’t believe it’s been over a year since my last post. Anyway, I definitely feel like I’ve made a ton of progress since then.

I’ll get the ball rolling with this dude. This is Jerry Brown the Wasteland Mechanic. I had no idea that his license plate said JRRYBRN when I was creating the alpha for it :laughing:. I designed and sculpted him for a ZBrush course earlier this year. It was so much fun to work on this, and I learned a lot about ZBrush. I hope you like him! C&C is always welcome and appreciated.

Jerry.jpgJerry_2.jpgJerry_3.jpgBody.jpgWeapon_1.jpgWeapon_2.jpg

Really like the progress images. Great stuff.

@dopepope Thanks man!

Here’s a few of my favorite projects from the past year. I designed the goblin for a concept art challenge, and the imp was designed and sculpted for an English class :laughing:. The big bug guy is based primarily on a concept by the legendary Carlos Huante, but I designed his weapon and gave him an insect exterminator’s vest to add to his story. The vampire bust is based on an awesome clay maquette by Aris Kolokontes.

Bug.3.jpgBug.1.jpgBug.2.jpgalec-hunstx-chub-all.jpgalec-hunstx-img-2154.jpgalec-hunstx-goblinrogue-fullbody.jpgalec-hunstx-goblingrayscale.jpgalec-hunstx-img-1375.jpgalec-hunstx-imp3 (1).jpgalec-hunstx-imp1.jpg

Started a new character recently. Here’s a quick comp to see how the micro details of his face are coming along. Looks like I need another pass. And eyelashes.

IMG_1390.JPG

Working on a piece of Naughty Dog fan art. He’s a Firefly from The Last of Us. Still very much a WIP. First time using Marvelous Designer, so feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

FireflyWIP2.jpgFireflyWIP.jpg

Still plugging away at the Firefly but also started a new cloth study in Marvelous Designer. Both are still WIPs. The cloth study is based on Outlast 2 concept art by Faraz Shanyar. You can see his concept here (second to last image): https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YQee6

Firefly.jpg