ZBrushCentral

Marmoset and Substance Painter 2.0

I’ve seen a lot of activity in my twitter feed about the new Substance Painter 2.0 and Marmoset but I’ve never used these programs before and was wondering what they offer that you can’t do in Zbrush. I read that Substance Painter is essentially for texturing, what options does it offer that Zbrush doesn’t? Same goes for rendering with Marmoset vs using Zbrush’s BPR with filters and lightcaps.

Thanks!

Marmoset is like Keyshot, a really simple and good renderer. The difference being KeyShot is cpu based and marmoset is gpu based. Which suits you best depends on your system and needs.

For ex: I use a Surface Pro, which has a nice mobile cpu, but no dedicated gpu. So KeyShot is better for my system.

If you have a kickass gpu, Marmoset will be faster than KeyShot (near real time)

Although not sure if Marmoset can handle high poly count like KeyShot

Plus the ZBrush integration of KeyShot is glorious, and it’s no slouch

Not sure about substance painter but I think it just has advanced features for creating super realistic materials. Something you export models to for creating multiple maps that together create a convincing look.

Thanks for explaining!

although I never used marmorset. I think it’s main purpose is to pre-visualize game ready character and assets.
It has a PBR (physically based rendering) workflow integrated.
This workflow helps to have a consistent result between marmorset and all kind of real-time game engines.

The same goes for substance painter. Also relying on PBR.
I’m currently using the trial of substance painter and it’s main focus is also on games. Though they adding features which makes it handy for all kind of artists.

It is much, much more powerful than what zbrushs painting can do.
zBrushs polypainting is very limiting. You can’t paint multiple layers and use blending modes. You are limited to your polycount unless you use projection master. You can’t paint different channels like “diffuse”, “specular”, “glossiness” etc. at the same time an see how they go together.
Those are all things you can do in substance painter. Substance painer has a completely non destructive workflow.
You can always go back and change things you did in the beginning.
Those are just some of its features