ZBrushCentral

Andy Chin's Art

Hey ZBC! It’s been a long while.

STELLA is a piece I’ve worked on over the past few months in my spare time during high school, and loosely based off of a previous sculpt I did. It was an amazing learning experience! I had a ton of fun working on this despite all the frustrations that came along the way. There are definitely many things to fix/improve but I’ll save it for future projects! I’d really like to hear your thoughts!

The sculpt was made entirely using Zbrush and Zbrush only!

Hope you guys enjoy!

Concept by: Andy Chin :smiley:

MARMOSET VIEWER: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Jb34D

Attachments

Nice model and good job :+1:
How did you handle your UV’s and polycounts if you dont mind me asking?

It is particularly hard for me trying to figure out the sweet spot of a low polycount that works well with the high poly for normal map in substance painter, especially for hard surface stuff.

@KorayAtes thanks! Glad you like it!

Since this is the first project in which I actually had to do the “technical” stuff rather than just a BPR render, there are tons of flaws and imperfections on the topo. I basically UV unwrapped and painted a polypaint base in zbrush. I know that there are much better alternatives but at the moment i just wanted to get the job done lol. Also, I exported the meshes out as .FBX with SNormals turned on, and maybe that ought to be able to fix your issue :slight_smile: hope that helped and if you have any more questions just feel free to ask ^^

EDIT: Also I think, especially for hard surface models, it would be an especially good idea to retopo with good edge flow, I learned that the hard way on this one… :slight_smile:

thanks for the reply :slight_smile:
now that the substance painter 2 has a built in iray renderer I’m trying to figure out a solid hard surface workflow from zbrush to substance before I attempt model something as nice as yours :slight_smile:
things get complicated trying to get the edges match, ids and seams and details and all you know…Cheers :slight_smile:

Nice work! I really need to try out substance painter…

@KorayAtes haha yup! a lot of technical things to learn/remember, can get frustrating, but you can do it! :slight_smile:

@Sam Leheny Thanks! and good luck!

Hey, just thought I’d share some snapshots from the zbrush viewport with you guys! :smiley: Sitting snugly at approx. 41 milliion polys or so at high-res. with a polypaint base!

zbrush snapshot.jpg

Attachments

zbrush snapshot.jpg

Cool! Did you retopo it in neutral pose and then posed it in zbrush before taking it to texturing in substance painter? Or did you rig the lowpoly and pose afterwards? I find it difficult to do a complex pose after retopo because of possible ugly deformations in the model, but on the other hand retopoing posed mesh is a pain, at least manual one… glad there’s zremesher…

@nikol hey thanks man! well a lot of the topology was just tweaking around in zremesher. On this project I messed up big time in the beginning, and I had ended up posing her before I got my UVs ready. So for the body I kept it in dynamesh up to the end POSED, and then from there I just use zremesher :smiley: the amor pieces were all individually zremeshed before merging them together. hope that kind of answers your question and if you have any more feel free to ask!

Splendid work. Beautiful modeling, texturing and renders. Love the additional info on your process. :+1:

@SoDakZbrusher Thanks dude! Glad you like it! :smiley:

Thought I’d throw in just a few more angles for fun ;D
screenshot027.jpgscreenshot027.jpg

Attachments

screenshot027.jpg

screenshot027.jpg

Congrats on getting to Top Row, Andy! And thanks for sharing your experiences.

I love the weathering effects on her armor parts.

Yup! The answer was precise enough for my needs :)!

Who do I have to call to get this to happen???

@SKYWAYS128 Thanks man! :smiley: I will probably make a quick ZB breakdown soon!

@nikol alright, great!

@muchlove106 haha thanks dude!

HERE IS A QUICK ZB BREAKDOWN:

This is just how I did it, it is in no way the best or most efficient way of doing it :smiley: If you have any questions feel free to ask! Hope this helps some of you!

breakdown low res.jpg

Attachments

breakdown low res.jpg

…model! :sunglasses:

Great Work Andy!!! :smiley:

@kend Thanks a lot dude! :slight_smile: