ZBrushCentral

The Pangean

Hi my name is Alex Patel, and here’s my Sketchbook, where you will find many WIP’s of many different subjects and ideas.

Hope you enjoy these as much as i did making them.

Any questions please drop me a line or contact me via email here: thepangea00@gmail.com

For the First Entry, here is a Head Bust Sculpture of an elderly Asian Male, sculpted from imagination in zbrush. Many references of elderly Asians from both China and South Asia were used to sculpt this portrait. The idea was to sculpt someone who was really old (like 100+) and get all the fun wrinkles in there.

The Final renders were produced in Keyshot.

Full Shot:

Turn Around Views:

Close Ups:

Extreme Close Ups:

Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

Elderly_Chinese_Male_Renders_NEW_Q_01.jpg

Elderly_Chinese_Male_Renders_TALL_A_01.jpg

Elderly_Chinese_Male_Renders_NEW_O_01.jpg

Elderly_Chinese_Male_Renders_NEW_K_02.jpg

Elderly_Chinese_Male_Renders_NEW_L_02.jpg

Chinese_Elderly_Male_Head_Bust_Turnaround_A_01.jpg

Some Zbrush Screenshots of the Head Bust.

2016-04-10 16_11_01-ZBrush.jpg

2016-04-10 16_10_03-ZBrush.jpg

2016-04-10 16_09_16-ZBrush.jpg

A new WIP coming Soon.

Here is a blockout of the Amazon horned frog. :smiley:

You can find more information about the frog here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surinam_horned_frog

Now onto the detailing Stage. This will be fun.

The Surinam horned frog (Ceratophrys cornuta), also known as Amazonian horned frog, is a bulky frog measuring up to 20 centimetres (7.9 in) found in the northern part of South America.

It has an exceptionally wide mouth, and has horn-like projections above its eyes.

Females lay up to 1,000 eggs at a time, and wrap them around aquatic plants.

The frog eats other frogs, lizards, and mice.

Tadpoles of the Surinam horned frog attack each other (and tadpoles from other species) soon after being hatched.

This species was once considered the same species as Ceratophrys ornata. This dispute was later settled because the Surinam Horned frog inhabits a different habitat than its smaller cousin and does not interbreed with it in the wild (but will do so in captivity). This species has been known to prey upon the other species of horned frog, especially the northern race of Ceratophrys ornata.

A frog that eats its own kind… Mercy fearless frog leaders.

Now onto the detailing phase here are some shots. The details were created using alphas (the Original zbrush ones still the best :D) and hand sculpting.

This species geographic range exists from Amazonian Basin of Colombia, Ecuador, the Guianas, southern Venezuela (although there are no specimens to confirm as yet), Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil. It has an altitudinal range of 0-400m asl.

This species can be found in open environments in forested areas and on the ground in leaf-litter within old growth rainforest. At Santa Cecilia, one specimen was found sitting on the ground in secondary forest at the night (Duellman, 1978).

Rodríguez and Duellman (1994) observed that this terrestrial, nocturnal frog backs into leaf-litter so that only the head is visible, in this position it waits for passing prey. It breeds in pools.

Information found here: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/summary/56337/0

Now onto the retopology and UV phase. Then Finally the texturing phase which will be a challenge but fun. The aim is to create a production ready model. Im thinking this model will need around 40-50 4K UDIM maps.

The Edge Loops will have to be particularly robust in order to account for the amount of deformation that this model will go through.

see you soon.

Here are some 3D Scanned Rocks, scanned from a local park. They are around 1M in Height, and around 1-2M in Length. Scanned with Agisoft Photoscan, Cleaned up and repaired in Zbrush.

A:

B:

C:

More to come soon.

Some Texturing in Mari and Shader Network Setup is next.

see ya.

Here is a 3D scanned Pebble, i did a while back. Scanned with Agisoft Photoscan and cleaned up in Zbrush.

Roughly 30 Cm in Length.

More to come soon.

Here are some texture shots from the previous 3D scanned Limestone rocks.

EDIT: These were textured in Mari, using camera projection to map the photos from the photogrammetry to the Model.

L_Rock_C_Previews_C-01.jpg

L_Rock_C_Previews_B-01.jpg

L_Rock_C_Previews_A-01.jpg

See You soon.

Napoleon Head Bust by Antonio Canova.

Likeness Sculpt in the Neoclassical Style. This was a great experience to sculpt. The Hair was a learning experience. Neoclassical sculptures have really strongly defined planes which i think will leak into other head sculptures that i create.

EDIT: Here are some reference pictures.

See ya.

Here are some Keyshot renders of Napoleon.

Side_A-02.jpg

Front_A-02.jpg

3quart_A-02.jpg

see ya.

Here are some Z-brush WIP Screens and Texturing Shots in Mari. This was an experiment, and i kept all the geometry unique, ( Unique UV’s for the individual legs and wings etc) which looking back made more work, without comparable gains. However these things have to be done :smiley:

The UV’s were setup in UDIM format, utilizing a 32bit Displacement map that follows a non smoothed UV workflow.
The textures are 32bit HDR in the EXR format. They take up a LOT of space.

Now that the Retopology, UV & Texturing Stages are finished. It is time to set up the shader networks in maya and also add the fur that you can see on the beetles at close range.
For the eyes I decided that they didnt need a texture, just a sss shader in maya because they are very small in real life, but there is a subtle sss effect that you can see on examination of the references.

The Goliath beetles (named after the biblical giant Goliath) are any of the six species in the genus Goliathus. Goliath beetles are among the largest insects on Earth, if measured in terms of size, bulk and weight.

Dark_Top_A_01.jpg

Goliath beetles measure from 60–110 millimeters (2.4–4.3 in) for males and 50–80 millimeters (2.0–3.1 in) for females, as adults, and can reach weights of up to 80–100 grams (2.8–3.5 oz) in the larval stage, though the adults are only about half this weight.

Dark_3q_A_01.jpg

Goliath beetles, like almost all other beetles, possess a reinforced first pair of wings (called elytra) which act as protective covers for their secondary pair of wings and abdomen. Only the second pair of wings (which are large and membranous) are actually used for flying. When not in use, they are kept completely folded beneath the elytra. Each of the beetle’s legs ends in a pair of sharp claws, which provide a strong grip useful for climbing on tree trunks and branches.

Light_Top_A_02.jpg

Light_Top_A_03.jpg

Males have a Y-shaped horn on the head which is used as a pry bar in battles with other males over feeding sites or mates. Females are without a horn, and instead have a wedge-shaped head which assists in burrowing when they lay eggs

In addition to their massive size, Goliath beetles are strikingly patterned as well. Prominent markings common to all of the Goliathus species are the sharply contrasting black vertical stripes on the pronotum (thoracic shield.)

You can find more info about the Goliath Beetle Family here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliathus

see ya.

Here is some WIP shots of a creature concept im creating for a personal IP. A Giant Herbivorous Creature. Next up is to do the retopology, Uv’s, Texturing, Hair & fur and The Eyes and Mouth Geo.

The creature is roughly 2-4 times the size of an elephant.

It can Charge at high speeds, to scare off or attack predators.

But mainly it is docile, herbivorous creature that partakes in gentle browsing.

it is known for its unwavering appetite.

see ya.

Here’s a Head Bust done in the classical Greek style of sculpting. Sculpted in Zbrush, Rendered in Keyshot.

see ya

Here is a Shot of a Gorilla Iris, Sculpted using Zbrush and alphas.

See ya soon.

The Gorilla begins to take form.

Skeleton Basemesh was created quickly in maya (like really quickly :D) and then started sculpting in Zbrush with dynamesh.

see ya.

Here are some more shots of the gorilla WIP. Creating a quick basemeshed skeleton is a really good way to block creatures out, Helps when it comes to laying down the anatomy, you dont need to make it fancy just get all the landmarks in there.

The Face Anatomy.

The Entire Gorilla. The arms seem long in the shots but they really are this long in real life. This is probably because you dont see many gorillas with their arms outstretched. (like this)

Now we are onto the Detailing phase which should be fun, especially for the face, and the hands and feet.

Ok long time no post :D, so i have to make up for it now. I wish I had more, but there is many things already finished and in the works so will post more soon.

Recently finished working with the legendary R.Moggach (http://moggach.com/) on a soon to be released project. Cant wait for that to come out should be great.

So recently Ive been working on photogrammetry for 3D textures. Cant wait to show more of the finished results. Here is a pic of some paving stones inside Agisoft Photoscan… The Detail is INSANE. (like at the speck of dust type detail…)

PS_Paving_Stones_A_ZBC_preview_E_01.jpg

PS_Paving_Stones_A_ZBC_preview_C_01.jpg

PS_Paving_Stones_A_ZBC_preview_B_01.jpg

PS_Paving_Stones_A_ZBC_preview_A_01.jpg

PS_Paving_Stones_A_ZBC_preview_D_01.jpg

Will post the final result as soon as its ready.

Impressive work!
I particularly like that goliath beetle.

Erik Heyninck: Thanks dude!

Here are some previews of a 3D scanned Woodland Floor Texture I’m developing.

PS_Leafy_Floor_Preview_C_01.jpg

PS_Leafy_Floor_Preview_B_01.jpg

PS_Leafy_Floor_Preview_A_01.jpg

More soon :smiley:

another forest floor type texture.

PS_Pine_Woodland_floor_preview_A_01.jpg

And here is some beach 3D Scanned Texture WIP.

Beach_PS_preview_B_01.jpg

Beach_PS_preview_A_01.jpg

Different things coming soon i promise :D.