New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Painting: Workflow- Sculptris vs. LAMH

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I have several clay Sculptris models ready to go on to paint, but before I do that I'm wondering about workflow.
    Normally putting on a texture (in this case animal fur) follows painting a clay model. But is this the easiest way? It is actually easier to apply animal fur first using other software, and THEN worry about painting the model, or is that ass backwards?

I wanna purchase LAMH to apply the texture to the clay models. But is Sculptris painting better than LAMH painting, or is it the other way around? I dunno about Blender or Poser, so won't consider them.

Lemme know your opinion. I read all comments....... thanks, have a great day.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Sculptris Paint mode reminds me of MS Paint It's just there for amateurish joy.

Anyway, you can't apply fur with Sculptris unless it's a hand, alpha and/or normal painted, only in a 2d simulated effect. For actual 3d hairs you need ZBrush or any other proper software.

Also, once you enter Paint mode in Sculptris you can't go back to modeling.

What's LAMH?

LAMH = Look At My Hair, a texture (hair/fur) software application program. When you don't know Blender (like me) and won't put out the money for Maya. www.furrythings.com

Expending on Maya won't make it easier to learn. Blender can do fur and hair too and is as much a pain to learn as Maya but for free.

ZBrush here can be a much better option to create models and give them hair.

But, if you are a DAZ/Poser user and only want to add fur to some downloaded models, this may not be your place. My advice, don't expend more than $49.95 or pick Blender and see if you can get the grip of it; if it ends up being too hard for you then forget it because every other option is pretty much the same: complex, full packages to create 3d stuff from scratch, not only accessories for DAZ pre-generated models.

I'm not harsh, just trying to guide you because I suspect you may be somewhat confused about what you're looking for.

Default Serek's right ...

it really depends on what you're doing with your model .. How are you going to Render it ???? will it be in a game? an animation? are you happy with still art? I've been a Poser/Daz hobbiest for almost a decade now, and things have changed over time. But even with the new IRay Renderer, much is still the same ... for hair as well! The oldest and most reliable is Modeled Polygon Hair. These are modeled in a 3d program, usually for a certain character. Many will have color choices, and can be rendered quite nicely. Pigtails, Short Bob, Mohawk, many styles are available, mostly for sale, there are some freebies out there too. These can be low-poly and work in game engines quite nicely. They can have morphs and animations. Most use some form of transparency, which can have problems in some Render Engines.

Then there's Procedural. If your model is UV-mapped, a noise image can be places in the Displacement Channel of a material. The desired length can then be "dialed" in. This was a neat trick as well, but it too has problems. First, it takes quite a while to render, so Game Engines are out. Also, tearing will show if the material edges are in view if the Camera.

And finally, Instancing hair. This idea is quite old, the first I saw it was in the Poser Hair room in Poser 5, but it's the same concept used for Zbrush and Blender. Several Single hairs are modeled around the character. They can have bend-points and can be "combed". Then the rest of the hair is placed randomly around the model using Instancing and Tweening, as to build an array type pattern that follow the original hairs. It can be combed (morphed) and the hairs are models, giving true light bouncing and displacement, rather than flat polygons with bump maps and such. But this too is very Memory heavy, too much so for most Game Engines. It can be morphed for Animations, and will give the best renders .....

This is what I intend to do with my models...far from it that my models will EVER sit on a shelf to look at and gather dust!

Not interested in gaming at all. 1. They would take to long to render in that venue, 2. The models are way too abstract. I'm all about photorealism for my models, that's why I created them here, and it's free.

I'm going with 3D animation all the way, and this is how I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna take my animal models and rig their skeletons if possible; use Look At My Hair (a D/s plug-in) to add realistic fur to them; pose and animate them in D/s; write the screenplays/add original music scores/ and add the voiceovers to 3D animations to transform the models into realistic talking characters; and lastly put the animations in photorealistic scenery generators such as Vue to tell the characters' stories.

I don't care how long it takes to render a 5 minute 3D animation. If it takes a month, so be it. I'm retired, I don't have an 8 hour job anymore, so I have all the time in the world to figure it all out, if it's possible to do so with the help of others. I'm the only one working on this project, and I'm gonna prove to the world that indies like me can and will make 3D animations without the help of an animation studio. And I'm not interested in making a dime from any of it.

BTW I don't do Human models at all, LAMH is best suited for animal models for its realism, IMHO, but not having used others, I am biased, I admit it. But I have seen the results of others.

What I need is someone to show me the ropes for D/s 4.9, so I can get the models in there and get them rigged, so if anyone wants to be my D/s "mentor of sorts" I'm all ears. Or even if you know D/s just a little as I'm just starting with it.

Thanks for looking, always found this site to be quite helpful. I read ALL comments.