Default Positioner

Positioner has 2 parts; Alignment and Nudge. These features allow the user to Align different subtools to one another and Nudge them proportionally along the XYZ axis.

I wrote this plugin to give me more control over aligning geometric shapes, it is pretty simple compared to some of the things I've seen here and may duplicate someone Else's efforts or existing Zbrush functionality that I don't know about.

I don't know how useful it will be to anyone, but I made it and thought I would share.

Just drop the .txt file into the Zplugs folder (C:\Program Files\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\Zplugs) and start up Zbrush, the plugin should appear at the bottom of your Tools window.

Here is a link to a youtube video demonstration of Positioner.

https://youtu.be/hSUyWjN76LQ

Thanks,

Paul Alix
    www.October-Arts.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

Member Follow User Gallery

Is the plugin for windows only ?

Not working on mac zB 4R7 64bit It donĀ“t appear in the tool-tab.

Any solutions ?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

The file posted is *.txt file. It can be installed copying it to \ZBrush 4R7\ZStartup\Macros\

Then reload macros if Zbrush was already running or restart Zbrush. It will generate autmatically a *.zsc file in the macro forlder and will appear in the tools bottom.

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for the hint, Altea.

The developer should correct the info message ---> to "macro" instead of plugin.

Moderator Follow User Gallery

It's not a macro, although doing as Altea suggests will work. It's a plugin in zscript text format and needs to be compiled to a ZSC file before ZBrush will automatically load it. (Macro text files - also zscript - are automatically loaded and compiled which is why that works.)

The best way is to put the TXT file in the ZStartup\ZPlugs64 folder. Start ZBrush and then load the text file by pressing the Load button in the ZScript palette and select the file from the ZPlugs64 folder. You only need to do this once. ZBrush will create a ZSC file at the same location and the plugin will load every time ZBrush starts.

If you want the plugin to work with the 32bit versiion of ZBrush, copy the ZSC file to the ZStartup\ZPlugs folder.

Thanks Marcus,

Sorry, I should have clarified for those running 64bit.

Paul

Does it makes any difference from functionality point of view to leave it in the macro folder or is better to delete it and do what you say?

Hey Altea,

Sorry for the trouble, I don't know if it makes a difference to ZBrush's functionality or not, but in the ZScript documentation online it said to put it in the Zplugs64 folder. I found while testing it, you can load it as a Zscript and it shows up where it is supposed to and performs as intended, it just disappears after shut down.

Again, sorry for the trouble, I hope it's worth it when all is said and done.

Take care,

Paul

No problem, the functionality seems great in my quick test.

Initially I was confused thinking that I only needed to point the needed subtools after pressing the select target button. Instead as the video says is needed to switch to the desired subtool before use the button select target.

Moderator Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Altea
    Does it makes any difference from functionality point of view to leave it in the macro folder or is better to delete it and do what you say?
    Altea,

Short answer: I don't know. But I think I'd delete the TXT file from the macro folder and move the ZSC to the ZPlugs64 folder to make sure that it doesn't cause any problems.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Great tool, but it would be greater if it had a match scale option for target subtool also, unfortunately Zbrush sometimes messes the scale and position of imported obj's during work, and it is imortand to have a specific scale for baking a displacements maps , so this is helping me a lot if scale is wrong I just postion sculpted subtools with UV to a imported meshes with a "right" scale, but size I had to change manually...
    So if you would think about this new addition that would be very cool

Default Thanks tr3buh

Hey tr3buh,

Thanks, i am glad you like the pluggin. I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do, and I never work with displacement maps or "baking" so i am not entirely sure what would be needed.

I currently have no plans to make any changes to Positioner, but I certainly invite you to try to make whatever additions to it you would like. I didn't know anything about writing the Z script code, when i wrote positioner, but there are alot of useful resources to help guide you through it. it has been a while since i wrote Positioner and have since forgotten how I did it, but I think it records the sizes (x,y, and z) of the target subtool and then does some math to position other subtools to it. i imagine it would be easy to scale other subtools by taking that recorded info and applying it to the subtool that you want to alter, i am not sure if that would do what it is you're looking for, or just what the code would look like, but i bet you could sort it out.

looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Take care,

Paul

I just came across this plugin that you created because I was searching the internet for a way to do exactly what this accomplishes in ZBrush. Absolutely awesome plugin! My main work is for CNC milling and aligning subtools is one of the hardest things for me to do in ZBrush so this is freaking perfect. You rock and thank you for creating it.

travisbarker3d,

Thank you for your message, it's always nice to hear that the plugin is working for someone. I'm always curious if there is another way to align things in Z-Brush other than by eye, but I haven't come across it in the little searching that I've done.

I've done a bit of CNC work in the past for Film and TV, mostly Pocketing and Profiles, but every now and again a little "carving". I use Aspire to generate the G-code and the 2 machine I've run are controlled with Mach. I tried uploading a pic of something I ran off a few years ago, the center face was sculpted in Z-brush, the surrounding pattern was done in vectorworks and created through a series of pocket tool paths.

Good luck with Positioner and thanks again for your feedback.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P-Alix-Sculpture-01.JPG 
Views:	499 
Size:	736.0 KB 
ID:	633669  

Thanks Paul and that piece you milled is awesome looking. Love the details on it. I use Fusion 360 to create tool paths, etc. for things like lettering and more geometric type shapes. Eventually I want to move completely to ZBrush for my CNC stuff so things like your plugin definitely help with that. Lining things up can definitely be a pain sometimes, and things have to be so exact when it comes to CNC milling large pieces. Eventually I plan on trying Aspire for some things, but I just love the control and editability for each separate subtool that I have using ZBrush for this stuff. The high poly count capabilities are definitely helpful.