ZBrushCentral

ZModler YouTube Chat Log

I watched the ZModeler overview with Paul G and Joseph D, a few weeks ago. The video is now located on the ZB YouTube Channel, here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUve2nTOuk … The chat log is from the audiance and was downloadable at the time of the demo. I saved it in the last few minutes of the demo. I have pasted it below for those that might be interested in it. Some of it is useful.

Questions/Chat Log C:\Users\Desktop\QuestionsAndChatLog 2016_03_24 15_44.rtf

Audience Question:
Q: So Awesome that you guys do these Webinars! Loved every min of the Last series of them. So happy!
A: :slight_smile:

Audience Question:
Q: the new zClassroom rocks!
A: Yes! :slight_smile:

Audience Question:
Q: Wow! Your tutorial site (my classroom) is the best I’ve seen.
A: Thanks!

Audience Question:
Q: Is the new ZClassroom totally free?
A: Yes of course!

Audience Question:
Q: ZBrush community is the BEST out there of ANY software!

Audience Question:
Q: Hello from France !
A: Hello

Audience Question:
Q: Hi there! All the best from Spain!
A: Welcome

Audience Question:
Q: Should we open zbrush and follow alogn?
A: You can if you want but I would recommend getting some popcorn sit back and enjoy

Audience Question:
Q: It’s Canada EH!
A: Hello from around the world.

Audience Question:
Q: This is so cool. Is everyone else excited?
A: we are…thank you for joining everyone.

Audience Question:
Q: Hello! Are we muted until the webinar begins?
A: you will stay muted for the whole webinar

Audience Question:
Q: only ZBrush user in Namibia
A: welcome

Audience Question:
Q: Hello from Belgium! Thanks for organising Pixologic … really looking forward to this :slight_smile:
A: Thank you for joining.

Audience Question:
Q: theres a non stop “ding” sound coming from webinar, how do you turn this off?
A: mute your speakers until we start

Audience Question:
Q: Are questions being moderated?
A: yes

Audience Question:
Q: Hi from the UK, Super excited to be a part of this. Thanks Pixologic!
A: Thank you.

Audience Question:
Q: How long will the webinar be?
A: a hour and half

Audience Question:
Q: My first ever Zbrush webinar! I am completely new to Zbrush and glad to be part of this!
A: welcome

Audience Question:
Q: ZBrush <3
A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOk2kCPK8Y

Audience Question:
Q: Is it possible to use Youtube for questions rather than Twitter?
A: We are only monitoring Twitter. Using Twitter and the #AskZBrush hastag makes the communication easier for everybody, including the one following us on Twitter.

Audience Question:
Q: When can we buy the “I Learned Zbrush from Joseph Drust” T-shirts? :slight_smile:
A: That’s a good idea… :slight_smile:

Audience Question:
Q: Is there textbooks available as well to be able to learn ZBrush?
A: Books are listed at the end of our 3rd party training section: http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/training/

Audience Question:
Q: how do you “bend” objects?
A: You have multiple ways: through Transpose (And ALT key), functions in the Deformations sub-palette, through brushes, etc… (and of course, combined or not with Masks)

Audience Question:
Q: Is he using the mouse or a pen for the Zmodeler Brush?
A: You can use both

Audience Question:
Q: what is the sculptris program for?
A: its a free sculpting application that is a great way to get into digital sculpting

Audience Question:
Q: Is there any way to choose pivit point for array mesh (rxcept default slider)?
A: yes if you turn on the Transpose option in the Array menu a yellow circle will appear in the first circle. You can use that yellow circle to move the pivot point around

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a way to make shortcut of the zmodeler features Ex: extrude, qmesh etc.
A: at this time there is no way to assign hotkeys to specific options of the ZModeler brush

Audience Question:
Q: Possibly dumb question, but is there a way to open a 4R7 file in 4R6?
A: You would have to export as OBJs and then import into ZBrush4R6.

Audience Question:
Q: Zmodeler blows my mind. I never did any decent box modeling before but I just pulled off something decent with Zmodeler last week and it was all on the fly. Thanks.

Audience Question:
Q: crease poligons not export to obj, why?
A: right but the FBX export and import will keep the creasing.

Audience Question:
Q: Is ZModeler actually usable for production?
A: yes many people in production have been using this brush in production

Audience Question:
Q: is there a method to change the default settings of the zmodeler so that things start with edgeloop instead of edge…
A: You can save the ZModeler as a new brush with your settings then always using this one.

Audience Question:
Q: Why can’t I create N-gons using ZModeler?
A: n-gons are not ideal for sculpting

Audience Question:
Q: Can you customise the zmodeler menu? that crazy long list of function is quite hard to get use to.
A: not at this time

Audience Question:
Q: If you have to start with a star in order to be allowed to initialize a QCube, why can’t you just start with a QCube?
A: you can start with any mesh. Joseph just likes to start with the star

Audience Question:
Q: do 3d printers read dynamic subdiv or do you need to apply it first?
A: You need to apply it.

Audience Question:
Q: Is there any way to allight subtools (similar to allight tool in maya)?
A: not at this time

Audience Question:
Q: Can you export these Dynamic levels to 3ds max/ Maya?
A: You would have to turn the Dynamic Subdiv into Regular Subdivisions…however dynamic subdiv will be sent to Keyshot with the bridge

Audience Question:
Q: The Zmoddler lacks the option of curt surfaces at will. This funtion can be fund in the zsphere retopology tools. Is there a way to combine both workflows ?
A: yes I often use ZSphere topo to edit any model and then use the ZModeler brush to complete other options

Audience Question:
Q: I’ve noticed with Dynamic Subd mode, it can be very difficult to find and interact with some lines. Is there any display option to show the “cage” a little more without needing to cycle between Dynamic Subd enabled or disabled?
A: there are no options to change the rendering of the lines when in dynamic mode.

Audience Question:
Q: is he makeing anything other then the ear rings?
A: yes he will be showing how he did some pieces to his drone

Audience Question:
Q: Maybe mention that if not real subdivisions the hotkey D will show the dynamic subdiv?
A: Yes, it is using the same hotkey.

Audience Question:
Q: Can I replace default set of 3d meshses in tool menu?
A: no you can not change the default Tools in the menu

Audience Question:
Q: What would the most efficient way be to grab and move around multiple edges at once? I’ve not found an easy way to do it within zmodeller so far.
A: masking and transpose line is a great way to move several points or faces

Audience Question:
Q: will the webinar be available to watch on youtube later ?
A: Unfortunately, as of right now we will not be putting the webinar up anywhere for later viewing.

Audience Question:
Q: Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Tag with Temporary Polygroup actually asigns a new polygroup if you back out without doing a polygon action, right?
A: once you tap ALT again a new polygroup will be applied to the temp white polygroup. NOTE: if you keep tapping ALT you can keep adjusting the polygroup.

Audience Question:
Q: Zmodeler changed my way of modeling, i am using it right now at work :slight_smile: thks a lot for this no need to go to maya anymore
A: .

Audience Question:
Q: didn’t see where he got q grid from
A: it’s in the Dynamic Subdiv options

Audience Question:
Q: Will you have a recap or summary of all these functions?
A: there are videos on every option of this brush in ZClassroom here, http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/tag/ZModeler

Thomas Roussel (to All - Entire Audience): 2:42 PM: Unfortunately, as of right now we will not be putting the webinar up anywhere for later viewing.
Audience Question:
Q: Whats the easiest way to Move an edge or a selection of verts?
A: There is a Slide Edge or Edgeloop that can help with this or you can mask everything but what you want to move and use the transpose line to move

Audience Question:
Q: Is it possible to bake the effect of QGrid into the model for export?
A: yes. click on the Applu button in the Dynamic Subdiv menu

Audience Question:
Q: You guys ROCK! Thank you SO much for puting this webinar together!!! :smiley:
A: thank you for coming.

Audience Question:
Q: can you change the crease amount so you get a smoother transition?
A: yes you can use the CreaseLvl slider in the Crease menu. This is a global setting

Audience Question:
Q: for zmodeler, does each piece you make has to be centered or can you place a mesh anywhere and it will respect that?
A: no it can be anywhere in space

Audience Question:
Q: How did Joseph get smaller buttons in his ZBrush UI?
A: It is a preference in ZBrush Preferences >> Interface >> UI >> Button Size slider

Audience Question:
Q: what dynamesh resolution do I need to use to keep edges clean when dynameshing zmodeled model?
A: It depends of your model and its size. DynaMesh is resolution based, then the bounding box size will impact the density of polygons.

Audience Question:
Q: from dynamesh to a zmodler?
A: your mesh will mostly contant too many polygons. ZModeler is for lower polygon meshes. you could use he ZRemesher to get a dynamesh to a lower polygon count

Audience Question:
Q: is there any way to measure things in zbrush I want to print something but I wanna measure it to see how many inches it is in zbrush is it possible to do that
A: Look for TransPose Units in the documentation (http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/transpose/transpose-units/)

Audience Question:
Q: http://puu.sh/nSxGl/074754b72b.png
how to minimize this stretches (after qmesh-in and crease)?
A: use the CreaseLvl slider to help and I would add another edge loop on the bottom and top of that crease

Audience Question:
Q: So if I wanted to 3d print something like this drone, would it be possible to do it without turning subtools into the real geometry? Or I have to for example dynamesh it to get a normal mesh?
A: You can convert to SubD or DynaMesh. It depends of the size of your 3D prints, etc.

Audience Question:
Q: can u show centering the trnaspose line one more time?
A: Click on the small white circle at the end of the TransPose line

Audience Question:
Q: So if I wanted to 3d print something like this drone, would it be possible to do it without turning subtools into the real geometry? Or I have to for example dynamesh it to get a normal mesh?
A: you don’t have to dynamesh if it’s already water tight. Some printers also require the mesh to be all one piece. For those type of printers Dynamesh will help you with that.

Audience Question:
Q: Does ZModler allow creation of MANDALA useing RADIAL modeling?
A: The ZModeler can be combined with multiple Zbrush features, including the ZModeler. Then yes :slight_smile:

Audience Question:
Q: When qmeshing/extruding, does that function always follow the surface normal?
A: yes but you could use the Transpose Line to extrude along any angle

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a function that allows you to mirror geometry right after you’re done zmodelling it?
A: yes you can use Mirror and Weld in the Tool>Geometry>Modify Topology sub-palette

Audience Question:
Q: I may have missed this question if it’s been already asked, but will this webinar be available later to watch again? It’s so much good information!
A: Unfortunately, as of right now we will not be putting the webinar up anywhere for later viewing.

Audience Question:
Q: After zremesher, I would like to punch holes in my modle, I thought that would be easier to do in zremodler.
A: yes it’s a great technique. Joseph is also going to share another way

Audience Question:
Q: Shoot, I missed how he was adding edge loops. Is that a special key or something?
A: he was using the ZModeler Brush to add edge loops

Audience Question:
Q: Is that in the drop out menu? I don’t see it.
A: yes, you have to hover over an edge and then hold the Spacebar…You will see an Insert option. This will add single edgeloop or you can even do mulitple edgeloops

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a way to add individual edges much like the interactive split tool in maya?
A: no ZBrush does not support N-Gons

Audience Question:
Q: So before you start uv mapping and texturing, would it be best to bake in the dynamic sub divs?
A: For UVs, no, no need to back since it’s your basemesh.

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a way to delete individual faces without having to use masking?
A: Yes, with the Polygon Delete Action

Audience Question:
Q: yeah, just copy an existing polygroup?
A: there is a Polygroup option in the ZModeler brush when hovering over a face that will allow you to copy a polygroup and then assign it anywhere else. Or if you hold the ALT key and click on a face then click the Shift key that will copy the polygroup of the face you just did the temp white polygroup

Audience Question:
Q: I missed if he mentioned anything about making subtools with polygroups.
A: you can uses Group Split in the Tool>SubTool>Split menu to create SubTools based on polygrouping

Audience Question:
Q: what the minimal system requirements for using zbrush
A: ZBrush can run on most computers. The more RAM and CPU you have, the better of course. You don’t need to have an overpriced video card for ZBrush since it’s only CPU based.

Audience Question:
Q: When activating dynamic subdivision after some modification and polygrouping, im getting a 128 UV out of bound error. Not sure if I’m missing something here?
A: do you have UVs on the Mesh? If so you don’t want to have UVs on the mesh when using the ZModeler because when you add edgeloops those are not automatically being UVd.

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a way to snap the deformation sliders or any sliders in Zbrush? They are hard to get a specific number without having to type it in.
A: yes, click on any slider so the red box shows up. Now type whatever you want and click enter

Audience Question:
Q: I run zbrush on a 2009 mac mini and it’s fine

Audience Question:
Q: How I can work with only one type of geomerty: polygons, vertex or edges in ZModeler like in Blender, 3DMax or Maya?
A: You can set for each selection mode the action to “Do Nothing”.

Audience Question:
Q: In the example a few minutes ago, when using the clip brush, it worked on the one section that was sticking out from top view. Can you make the clip brush only affect specific polygroups, or would you have to mask and hide any selection you dont want to be clipped?
A: yes mask the portion you don’t want to clip

Audience Question:
Q: I meant without having to type in the number.
A: there is another little slider icon above the main one that will allow you to move the slider 1 point at a time

Audience Question:
Q: After years of using zbrush, I’m still learning so many minute hotkey tip and the like in this webinar! Awesome!

Audience Question:
Q: Meshfusion = mind blown… SWEET!
A: It has been in ZBrush for years now! :slight_smile: (4R4)

Audience Question:
Q: can I assign few creases with different crease levels on a same subtool?
A: unfortunately we do not allow that at this time

Audience Question:
Q: mesh fusing is just ctrl drag? after you place the insert brush? Th;ank you
A: You can look at ZBrush 4R4 What’s new guide in the documentation folder of ZBrush, you will find all the information you are looking for!

Audience Question:
Q: mesh fusing is just ctrl drag? after you place the insert brush? Th;ank you
A: yes just click when you are redynameshing…Just remember the insert mesh has to have an opening

Audience Question:
Q: can you do the trick with fuse mesh on a cylinder surface? will it work the same as with flat surface?
A: yes it will work with any surface

Audience Question:
Q: I like using meshfusion for tricky things like hands and ears.
A: Yes, it’s working perfeclty also for this kind of shapes!

Audience Question:
Q: I have seen a lot of hard shapes, robots, machines made with Zmodel. my question is would the ZModeler be ok to use for more organic base shapes like humans or animals?
A: yes there are artists using it for this.

Audience Question:
Q: could you use the shadow box for this process?
A: sure that would work as well

Audience Question:
Q: Mind blown*
A: 0

Audience Question:
Q: used this foe creating topology for text

Audience Question:
Q: Will this video be availible later?

Audience Question:
Q: Zmodeler is almost like having new software within the program! so much too it love it!

Audience Question:
Q: I love all your efforts to make training available for users to learn this incredible tool!

Audience Question:
Q: I always get excited when I remember that you can still use all of ZBrush’s original tools when in ZModeler. There are so many ways to do the same thing!

Audience Question:
Q: Seriously, I’m super happy this webinar came along when it did. :smiley:

Audience Question:
Q: Some great ideas. I really like this last one
A:

Audience Question:
Q: Zbrush changed my life , I was lost as an artist , I found zbrush and I knew what I wanted to do with my life
A: We are happy to hear that!

Audience Question:
Q: yeah, thank you guys for making askzbrush and webinars, it’s really cool to learn from ZBrush developers!

Audience Question:
Q: Could you explain the different Keyshot/Bridge purchase options for Zbrush?
A: yes

Audience Question:
Q: I’m buying keyshot for zbrush and bridge in two weeks!!!
A: I will explain the options

Audience Question:
Q: Thank you so much for this webinar! Long time Maya user, beginning Zbrush user, this is really making me want to use nothing but Zbrush for personal work. Very, very cool!

Audience Question:
Q: Thank you all for the webinar and tut. also love that model too I would love to see that one fly!

Audience Question:
Q: is there a way to download the searchlight file without reinstalling as I accidently over saved it?

A: no but email webinars@pixologic.com and I’ll send it to you

Audience Question:
Q: This has been so incredibly helpful.
A:

Audience Question:
Q: Thank you for explaining the polygroup copy technique.
A: You are welcome!

Audience Question:
Q: Special edition = 550?
A: for pro

Audience Question:
Q: can i import textures into Keyshot outside of ZBrush?
A: What you see in ZBrush will be displayed in KeyShot. But you can load your own textures in KeyShot of course

Audience Question:
Q: Does the Zbrush Speciel Keyshot Pro version have the same features as the Original Keyshot Pro?
A: yes just can’t import

Audience Question:
Q: when keyshot gets updates, do the people who bought the zbrush keyshot version get updates as well?
A: no there will be an upgrade fee

Audience Question:
Q: can you email a link to the special edition of keyshot AND bridge for zBrush please?
A: http://store.pixologic.com/Single-User-License/

Audience Question:
Q: dynamic subd is on when you turn on the keyshot bridge, right ?
A: that will send to Keyshot yes with out applying

Audience Question:
Q: what is the name of the youtube channel?
A: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZBRUSHatPIXOLOGIC/

Audience Question:
Q: fibermesh to keyshot?
A: Of course!

Audience Question:
Q: Is there a comparison list of functionality or lost functionality between the KeyShot special editions and the full HD or pro versions?
A: You can find the information on KeyShot website.

Audience Question:
Q: The youtube channel is awesome, each function of the Zmodeler is explained in videos. That’s an awesome job, thanks a lot :slight_smile:
A:

Audience Question:
Q: Do you have to be a student for the educational version?
A: Yes, we have an academic version. Please contact your ZBrush reseller: http://store.pixologic.com/ZBrush-4R7-Academic-and-Educational-License/

Audience Question:
Q: thanks so much guys!
A: any other questions can be sent to webinars@pixologic.com

Audience Question:
Q: where are we giving feedback? sorry missed that
A: Soon!

Audience Question:
Q: I got upgraded since 1.23 Eternaly grateful :smiley:

Audience Question:
Q: THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME !! Picked up alot as a student - Singapore

Audience Question:
Q: Is there an upgrade path from education/adademic to pro after graduation?
A: Yes of course

Audience Question:
Q: Awesome webinar! Thanks
A:

Audience Question:
Q: thank you 4 this ZModeler not so overwhelming now :slight_smile:
A: No it is not:! :wink:

Audience Question:
Q: Thanks a lot from Reunion island ! Really nice webinar :slight_smile:
A: De rien !

Q: Minnesota!