Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Displacement work

This is an inbetween release of my new character work, where I used along with traditional handsculpt the new displacement textures from Texturing.xyz to add live to the character.
    Rendering was done with Arnold in C4D (C4DtoA).

Rasta's -Tutorials can be found hereD

Link-thread to all tutorials:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?p=673344

S K I N N Y B O N E Z

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!" ~ The Dude.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Very good detailing!

Default c4ftoA problems

Cool! very nice job. How do you make the workflow between Zbrush and c4dtoA?? I have very big problems applying one Zbrush displacment texture to 4dtoA :S And I don't know what I'm doing wrong... Can you help me please?
    Thanks!
    -
    Motion and design
    www.marcurtasun.com

Hi Marc, sure.
    What exactly is your issue, i.e., where do your attempts finally fail ?
    You can send me a simple scene via dropbox or else and I can correct the settings for you if you like.

Lightbulb

Hello!!
    Thank you very much for your fast response!! I've been working for solve the problem and I think that maybe I have the solution...!
    I'm working with one Zbrush modeler who use GoZ directly to Cinema4d for import the mesh. This workflow works perfect for the Standard render but when I apply the displacment with c4dtoA it's impossible to get the same quality even though I try to modify Displacement tag parametres like "Height, Subdivision, Bounds padding... " I discover that the big problem is the way to export the map from Zbrush and now after try with different export with MME works well!

So my question is if you use any perfect workflow like GoZ for know the exact parametres for the Height value for example, and if you also use the MME process like this tutorial... Because your result it's really awesome!
    -
    Motion and design
    www.marcurtasun.com

Akin's tutorial is a good starting point, but unfortunately, it doesn't work quite the same way for C4DtoA as Akin describes.
    I personally don't use GoZ for exporting my disp-maps to C4D, I use the usual export functions.
    GoZ always uses Subd-Level 1 what is not suitable in all cases.

ZBrush:
    1) Do your final sculpting work in the highest Sub-D-Level
    2) Store a Morph target
    3) Go to your desired Sub-D-Level for the export (the one you will use for the obj-Export of the mesh)
    4) In Displacement settings, do a Mid-Value of 0.5 , SubPix 4, Flip V, and ACTIVATE the checkboxes 'Adaptive' and 'Smooth', and DEactivate 32 bit.
    You need a 16 bit grey map, 32 bit will not currently work. These settings are totally different to Akin's advice, but will work well with C4DtoA.

For bringing out my results in any renderer, I do now an own developed inbetween procedure to tune the ZBrush-dispmap, my 'secret sauce'.

In C4D/Arnold, you import your OBJ-mesh, give it an Arnold-Object tag, go to tab 'subdivision' and use CatClark, 3 Iterations, Auto, Error 0, raster, pin corners (or linear), no tangent smoothing
    Tab Displacement: I use Autobump. You do it without Autobump with higher CatClark iterations for really real Displacements (closeups) , but Autobump does the job in most cases quicker with almost no visible differences to the 'real' disp.

Create an Arnold material, open the Shadertree-network, create a image texture and a displacement node, connect all to the disp-channel-point on the very right side of the material area , adjust the disp-height and render.

Voila, that's all.

That should work.

Thank for all the info man! that's very usefull!! I'm gonna try this and I will tell you something!

Thank you
    -
    Motion and design
    www.marcurtasun.com

Member Follow User Gallery

Can't wait the final result. Please hurry

Default same problem here

Hello i have the same problem here whit arnold render i lost all of my détail. If i am your instructions it does not work. I do not understand .
    Can you help me, I think we are several in this case

Thank you