ZBrushCentral

sculpting demo reel

I’d be nice to know your opinions about my sculpting demo reel. Any thoughts and comments welcome, overly critical and brutally honest ones preferred. :wink:

[youtubehd]6lU350k_0Eo[/youtubehd]

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

priest.png

I think the sculpting looks great!

The thing that really stands out for me is that some or most of the renders aren’t at full 1920, I think by re-rendering those pieces and getting rid of the black bars will make your reel look more professional. It will also allow for you to have a turn around and potentially some zoomed stills at one side of the comp.

I noticed on one piece at 0.39 there seems to be a really harsh vignette/mask? Not sure what that’s about but again I don’t think it looks great.

At 3.52 onwards the render and concept art cut out looks poor, I would keep it in an original render comp size.

I would also have a small description or even a separate document explaining what your input to each piece has been rather than having the description as part of the reel.

Also just add the Zbrush logo at the end of the reel.

And the really picky bit would be keep in 2 minutes or less.

Hope that helps slightly, but remember this is only my personal opinion,

Cheers,

Chris.

I really love your character style, they look so nice! :slight_smile:

Hi Volker,

Really love your style!

But I really would speed it up maybe twice (people can look again incase they missed something) and maybe add some sound.

Post some more still pictures here please.

cheers Jake

Thanks for your answers guys. I really like your tips Tilley, I will definitely revise the reel based on that.

I will have to see if I can rerender all pieces, but you are right, the black bars do not look professional. The harsh vignette as you called it probably is due to the background plane I used, it is only partially illuminated by the area lights. What I probably should have done is render all turns with alpha channel and comp in the background in after effects.

I’m also aware that the reel is to long, it should be below 3 minutes,maybe even below 2 minutes. The reel actually was a lot faster originally, but I slowed it way down due to the opinion of several colleagues. They said that you couldn’t really focus on any details of the models this way. I will speed it up twice and see how this looks.

But you guys like the models in general? Any specific one I should kick out?

Thanks again for your time!

hey wilson!

i really like a lot of your models. they got a great sense of flow and nice appeal.
-but i have to agree with Tilley and Jake Rupert on all points.
keep the reel around 2 min. (-that’s what i hear the most). and generally speed up your turns. if you want to have some slow parts you could zoom in or pan over stills.
i’d might also consider the number of models you show. maybe take out a few of the “second bests”.
last thing. if you are going back to re-render, i think you should take a sencond look at some of the poses aswell. i really like the girl (at 1:55) and also the viking. giving them a more interesting pose would also help sell your characters.

hope the crit is of any use.
good luck with the reel. looking forward for more from you.

-r

preview1.jpgpreview2.jpgpreview3.jpgpreview4.jpg

WIP, been working on the character on and off for a couple of days now. Comments/ critique much appreciated. I’m planning to retopologize the model once its finished, and texture it in Substance Painter.

Model is not finished yet, planning to add detail, especially at the arm pads, the brooch at the neck of course which is only a place holder right now, and the belt buckles. Will add a large bag, and/or several bags in the belt area. I’m also aware that the character has a strong facial expression which I will remove/ make more neutral before retopologizing it.

preview5.jpg

Sleeves (sculpted Marvelous Designer geo).

WIP of retopologized + textured model (Modo/ Substance Painter):

wire.jpg

archer_c.jpg

Attachments

archer_b.jpg

Hey wilson,

your warrior looks pretty cool. Maybe make her hair a bit more of a metallic/reflective like shine with maybe a little bit of subsurface, at the moment it’s shiny enough but looks a bit like plastic.

Also i have the same tools as you :slight_smile:

Regards,

Simon.

amazing job . i really love the textures :+1: