ZBrushCentral

World War II Airman Character

Hi Everyone

This is a character I did as a personal project. It started off just as a doodle while I was teaching myself how to use ZBrush and then got forgotten about for a few months until I was clearing my hard drive out. Initially he was wearing big goggle type things over his eyes, a bit like a ski mask and had a cloth cap on and a big mustache. I thought he’d end up being some sort of Steam Punk welder character but when I rediscovered him, it occurred to me to make him an airman instead.

So the initial bust was sculpted in ZBrush and then retopologised using Maya and MODO. The goggles were modeled on WWII Spitfire pilot’s goggles. After retpology, I brought him back into ZBrush for texturing…I used ZBrush poly paint and Alpha brushes to get the colours and textures I was after.

Finally when all that was done, I brought him into Maya and rigged up a simple head and jaw rig so that I could pose him. The eyelashes are just planes extruded from the eye geometry with eyelash alphas attached but the eyebrows, mustache and collar fur are generated with Ornatrix which I love using for hair. He was rendered using Redshift.

The eyes are deliberately bloodshot to reflect how tired these chaps got during the height of the Battle of Britain…Constantly on edge and needing to be ready to take to the skies at a moment’s notice. I’m sure it was the same for all pilots during that time.

Anyway, hope you all like the work, I really enjoyed working on him and the processes involved.

Attachments

AirmanGalleryPGallery.jpg