ZBrushCentral

My First Mech concept

This is my first mech type thing and would like to get some feed back before I get too far into the process.
The idea is that it’s a scout robot so I wanted to keep it fairly simple and light weight.

Attachments

Scout mech 1 front0.jpg

ScoutMech1Pos1.jpg

ScoutMech1Pos2.png

ZBrush ScreenGrab01 Scoutbot1veiws.jpg

First thing I noted: you’re getting into the details before you’ve finalized the form.
Second, the form itself needs some thought about how it actually works (the AT-ST from Star Wars is a good example. No doubt you wanted to avoid similarities, but it’s still an excellent starting point.).
Finally: giving some thought to the mech’s background might help with the two steps above. You say you want it to be a scout robot, but was it built by humans, aliens, or other robots? How big is it? Is it meant to fight? Is it unarmed? How extensive are its sensors (can it see through walls, or detect gravitational and temporal anomalies)? How advanced is it, and how advanced are its creators? Answering these questions can help you focus on the main forms, and suggest details as well. For instance, if it’s a self-aware scout robot built on the cheap and at a small scale (the size of a chihuahua or similar), it might be really simple in construction because it’s meant to be cheap and ubiquitous. Likewise, if biomechanical tech is common maybe it doesn’t need joints, and moves on snakelike tentacles.
Good luck.

Thanks for the feed back, I had a few ideas on the mechs origins and construction and functionality and have been brainstorming some basic design tweaks.SM1.10.jpgSM1.11.jpgSM1.jpgSMFatCockpit1.12.jpgSMFatCockpit1.13.jpgSMLegExtend1.15.jpgSMLegExtend1.16.jpg I think I’m going to go with the thinner cockpit design because it’s meant to be a single pilot scout mech, I kept the idea for the leg design close to the original basing it off the mechanics of the mantis shrimps arm movement in the way that more energy can be generated from storing and releasing energy in quick bursts. This concept would give the mech the ability to move quicker but more aggressively. It would be capable of long distance radio transmissions and satellite communications but would not have any weapons to compensate for the weight gain from the sensors and communication devices. The foot portion is meant to absorb and transfer energy similar to that of a prosthetic blade leg. I appreciate the push to think more about the specifics of the mech instead of making just some robot

Attachments

SMFatCockpit1.14.jpg

SM1.18.jpgSM1.19.jpgA little progress on the design, doing a hollow shell to help refine the design. I want to keep most of the geometry simple, any suggestions on how to make model more interesting without being too noisy?