ZBrushCentral

3D printing convert slt file to gcode

Hi everyone
I am thinking about buying a 3D-printer and I already have one in mind but there’s a little problem ,the printer can only read gcode files while zbrush exports slt files

Does anybody know a software to convert slt into gcode?

Thanks for your help.

regards,
Scipio

For FDM type (fused deposition, AKA extruder nozzle) 3D printers, you’ll want to seek out a slicing utility. A freeware one like Slicrindicates on their main page that it’ll convert an STL to GCode. There might be other variants & it’s smartest to find a community of others using that same 3D printer brand to see if there’s a specific utility that offers a better slicing workflow.

For higher resolution SLA type (stereolithography, AKA resin) 3D printers, the slicing process takes the mesh and generates a 2D picture sequence representing the sliced layers.

Since this stuff sounds new to you, you’ll likely also need a utility to generate supports. These are scaffold-like structures that enable overhanging and downhanging features on a model to be successfully printed. Without supports, a 3D printer might attempt to lay down material in mid-air relative to the build table. The better 3D printers will come with their own support & slicing utility where most everything is dialed-in. Others will require you to cobble together programs, settings, and a workflow. This is why it’s important to pick a printer that has a good community base to refer to.

Thank you very much,

that was very Helpfull:)

Hi,

I’ve been using Zbrush for a month already and I’m really confused on why I save my design so I can 3D print and its not save on my files.

I’m using solidworks and my 3D printer is a Fusion 3. What I’m doing wrong? I hope someone can give me tips on how to do this.

FYI I design the skull of Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas and that is what I’m trying to print out.

Thank you

What format are you saving your files out? to save an .obj or .stl you have to use the export button in the tool pallette

Are you trying to reopen the file with zbrush? in that case you have to use the import button in the tool pallette

you have suggested him the best option :slight_smile:

I believe i save it has a tool like the video said. Then after that i use the import button and save it has a stl but when I save it on my memory card into my gcodes file I don’t see it there.

I really want to have this printed by halloween :D:D

any help or steps that you would recommend would be helpful.

thanks

also i’m using solidworks which that is the program that is not recognizing the file

Hi,
I also use the solidworks zbrush workflow. I can’t quite understand what your problem is. I usually do the base geometry in solidworks, export it to .stl file format and in zbrush I import the file using the 3dprint exporter. Zplugins>3dprint exporter>stl import. Then I retopologize and sculpt.

If you have a multi body part in solidworks remember to select the solid body (in the feature manager design tree) you want to export, under the solid bodies folder, and save as>file type .stl>save.

A prompt will ask you if you want to save all bodies or just the selected bodies. If you did not select the body in the design tree the saved .stl file won’t have any geometry.
export.PNG

Thank you for the reply!

I will follow the steps that you mention and hopefully I can go ahead the 3D print this skull.

I will let you know what happens.

I re read your last post and see that you also talk aout gcode. Now gcode is what is going to be exported by your slicer application not by Zbrush or solidworks. Since you are using a fusion 3 I’m going to assume you are using Simplify3D which is the slicer that comes with all the fusion3design printers, and also the slicer I use in my pipeline. So, I’m going to give you a brief overview of how I finish my workflow for the actual print.

After I export the model from solidworks, import it into zbrush (which I explained in my last post) and finish all the sculpting I need, I procced to export the stl file to import into simplify3D. In zbrush:
Zplugin >3dprint exporter

It’s important to hit the button to update the size ratios. First you must choose in what units you would like to export your model either inch or mm. Since stl format is a dimensionless format this will come into play when you import into simplify 3d. By default, everything imported into simplify 3d is in mm so I would suggest you export in mm.

Once you hit update size ratios you can see the values of X,Y and Z axis. These values correspond to the biggest dimensions on the corresponding axis on your model. Scaling in zbrush is a whole other topic so I’m just gona say; you can change the scale with the sliders if you’d like to tweak it or you can look into the caliper masters plugin which is what I use and has helped me in my pipeline.

After you’ve updated your size ratios you got to tell zbrush what subtools you want to export. All subtools, visible subtools or selected subtool. Just remember if you select visible subtool the little eye at the far right of your subtool under the subtool palette must be visible (at least I think it must :p).

Finally, you can choose in what format you would like to export by choosing the corresponding button, STL, VRLM or OBJ. Just remember that simplify3D accepts STL and OBJ. I normally use STL.

Ok so now you’ve successfully exported your model from zbrush now for the simplify 3d side of things.
In simplify 3d:

Import your stl model chossing the import button, then add a process to print that model by choosing the add button under the processes section. In the process settings make sure you have your printer selected under the select profile tab. Which in your case if you are using a Fusion3 is either the Fusion3 F306 single (for single extruder), Fusion3 F306 double (for double extruder), or the new Fusion3 F400 3d printer.

Once the process in in place just hit the prepare to print button. After this a preview of how your model will be printed is shown. Verify everything is ok and choose the save toolpath to disc button and save the gcode file to your sd card. THIS is the gcode file your printer is going to read. Plug it in to your printer y terminamos! You should be good to go to print it.

garita.jpg

So I went to the export button on the tool pallet and it save the file. When I went to solid works and told me that it didnt not recognize the file and also that the file was to big. What i’m doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

Just read what you posted. I’m going to to that. Thank you so much

I see what you mean. See the thing is, SolidWorks is really good at exporting stl files not so good at importing them. Now they kinda made it better in the 2016 version which:

You can import .STL files with up to 500,000 facets (~ 24 MB for binary format .STL files and ~ 138 MB for ASCII format .STL files).
This increase in size is approximately:
Twenty-five times larger than what was previously allowed for solid .STL files.
Five times larger than what was previously allowed for surface .STL files.
For surface and solid .STL file imports, you are warned that conversion may take a long time and you are given an opportunity to cancel the import.
However, import performance has increased significantly. For example, the import time for a solid .STL file with 20,000 triangles is now as much as three times faster than it was with SOLIDWORKS 2015.
For surface .STL files, a stringent check gives more meaningful results.

But in reality, working with stl in solidworks is a pain. If the file size is bigger than the 500,000 facets it will simply not import into solidworks. You are better off working with your base model in SW export to zbrush, export to 3d print. Because if you go from zbrush to solidworks via export your going to run into a frustration wall. Trust me I’ve been there.
Or try to do everything in zbrush with the zmodeler brush which is what I’m trying to learn :smiley:

Yeah i agree with you about the frustrating part. About 3 weeks ago I was able to print out a figure E.T style and it did it but after that I haven’t had another print. That is the reason I got here because I thought I was doing something wrong
but so far i’m following your steps and I get nothing.

I’m going to keep trying until I get another print going. I attach some pictures on what my file says maybe you have seen the message before and also I’m attaching what I’m trying to print.

Another thing I notice after I printed the alien E.T figure, when I follow the step on saving it like you mention every time I go to my memory card which is were I save all my files, I click on the file and it says the type of file is “Certificate Trust Lsi” on the
type of file it is. Again maybe I chance some settings on my laptop I don’t know. The rest of my files are reading correctly which say GCODE file. :frowning:

Some Certificate Trust List files can also have an .stl extension. All that’s happened is your operating system (Windows, I assume) thinks by default that it is a CTL file. It will still print and behave as a Stereolithography file.

If you change the default application that opens the .stl extension, it will stop appearing as a Certificate Trust List file. In later versions of Windows this should be as easy as right-clicking the file and choosing “Open With”, “Choose Another App”

Thanks for information.

The owner of the company appreciates the help that you are doing for us.

Has a thank you we can send you some light up el wire you can use. Here is our website you can visit www.ThatsCoolWire.com.

My name is Brenda ask for me. if you see something that you like here is our # 281-444-0400.

Again thanks for helping

Thank you very much, but its ok I’m happy to help. Post some pictures of the finished print. I’ve always wanted to see some user prints of the Fusion3 printers.

We figured it out and its good to go on our end.

We are going to printed out tomorrow and when is done I will post pictures. Hopefully I can do it here. I was trying to import a picture of our Alien guy and it didn’t let me.

I will try it again when this is done.

Thanks

Hello charliedrums,

I had a quick question for you…

We are trying to make a cup on zbrush… we have it done I think lol :lol:
can you let me know how to make a hole on the cup with out going all the way thru.

Hopefully I explain it right… I tried uploading a picture but it didnt load so I can show you what I got .