New Member Follow User Gallery

Default A 2-in-1, or hybrid

Hi guys,

I would like to tell you sorry in advance for my bad English.

My question concerns the acquisition of a new hybrid tablet, who would allow me to draw and do some 3D work with zbrush and maya/3dsMax.
    What you think about the new Hybrid such as the Microsft Surface pro 4 and surface book, as well as of the wacom compagnion 2 or other good hybrid ? It's really a good investment ?

I am afraid that I can work only on concepts and not on projects rather heavy RAM . I don't need to do complicated modeling like millions of polygons. I would like to be free to not have permanently with me my big PC.

And you what you have for your work when you go on another country ?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

You can do complicated, high poly models in ZBrush on a Surface Pro 4. I recommend the i7.

ZBrush is CPU-based, so the processor and RAM are what's important. Same for KeyShot (although KeyShot will make the tablet hot, while ZBrush which runs pretty cool). It's also great for drawing and Photoshop.

For other 3d apps, a dedicated GPU might be necessary. For these, the Intel graphics of the Surface Pro might not be enough.

I use modo just fine for modeling and some rendering. Even making a game in Unity3d, all on Surface Pro: http://thorntonartstudio.com/pages/grand-finale-miami

Hope that helps

Thank you for your fast answer, it helped well me.

Can you said me if you have any probleme with the pressures and reactivity on the screen with surface pro 4 ?
    I saw many comments on test of pressures and reactivity of the stylus on the screen, which are at least rather negative.

You said me surface pro can't run other 3D soft , if i need hybrid can run maya or 3DsMax pretty well , what hybrid you think i can take ?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

The pen has a good pressure curve in my experience.

Surface Pro CAN run other 3d software, surprisingly well.

But it does not have a dedicated GPU. The integrated Intel GPU will be less powerful for some things (like gaming or GPU based rendering)

I mostly draw/paint with it, but Surface Pro 4 works well with ZBrush too imo. No problems with the pressure, just a slightly different "feeling" compared to cintiq's.