ZBrushCentral

Trying sculp hands, can't get fingers right...

Hi all

I’m trying to learn ZBrush and I am pretty happy with it and I think I am doing some good progress, slow but improving.

I have a situation that I can’t figure out how to solve:

I am modeling a male chacter from a base sphere and using dynamesh on it and pretty much only the brushes (Move, Standard, Clay)

I am avoind to use zsphere cuz I wanned to learn sculping from primitives first.

I don’t know how to fix the fingers as show in the image below. It gets pointy and I can smooth it, if I use the smoth brush it messes up and gets smaller, I’ve trying dynamesh several times(using resolution 40(I incresed from 32 to see it solves but it doesnt))

Please tell me some tips how to fix the fingers, I appreciate the help

Attachments

zbrush.jpg

Try inflating and redynameshing , that usually:D works for me, to add geometry or to fill those strange holes that appear sometimes when remeshing.

I would use the trim curve brush and chop of the tips. Then append either a sphere or a cube. sculpt the primitive into the form you want, merge the subtools and re-dynamesh. This will weld the new geometry together with the rest of your hand. You could block out your entire hand this way by just using primitives. This will allow you to get your overall proportions right very quickly. Then just merge them all into one subtool, dynamesh them together and smooth every thing out.

In my opinion, your dynamesh resolution is too low for the size of the fingers you’re making. Bump it up to 64 or higher, and see if that improves it; higher Dynamesh resolution means more polygons, and that will prevent the fingertips from collapsing like that.

When working in Dynamesh, it helps to keep the resolution to powers of 2 like 32, 64, 128, etc. Nothing says you can’t use numbers like 300 or 899, just that the mesh divides more evenly in powers of two (I think I saw this explanation in the official ZBrush docs, or maybe a tutorial video. I can’t remember).

I’m a sucker for blocking everything out in Maya first to make sure the base is exactly as I want it. I find Zbrush a little difficult to control when I make a base in it with zspheres and dynamesh (although Zmodeller has changed that drastically). Perhaps blocking out with that rather than pulling from a sphere might help?

If not, inflating and dynamesh would do it, it’s just kind of finicky but perhaps that’s just me :slight_smile:

Matt Thorup has some nice Gumroad tutorials where he makes a character and he blocks out the hand with Zmodeller, it’s a really good tut. Totally check it out if you are able!