Default Does Sculptris come with Human Models?

hi all

i am an illustrator, and want to study light and shade on the human head. my question is, can i do this with sculptris, i am not interestet in modeling 3-d myself. shading should be in black and white, no grey tones, just like comicbookart. does sculptris come with human models?

here is an example of what i am looking for:

if not, maybe some of you know of some other free posing software.

thanks an cheers, robozo

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Sculptris does not come with any built in models aside from a sphere and a flat plane. Also it is looking less and less like Pixologic is going to support it anymore, but that's up in the air. I would try something else entirely lest you discover a beautiful tool that you won't likely be able to use for much longer, Im having severe trouble with it due to windows 10 and a total lack of bugfixing over the last six or seven years..

Sculptris is pretty much a pure creation tool but you could use it for what you are describing by using the right shaders. If you can keep it running that is.
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

New Member Follow User Gallery

ok,i understand, thank you very much for your kind answer!

thanks and cheers, robozo

Robozo, you might try MakeHuman, I haven't seen it in years but it might be what you are after.
    I think its at makehuman.org but dont hold me to that, my internet connection is bareely working so I cant check.
    nope...

A friend of mine suggested this:
    http://www.manuelbastioni.com/
    nope...

hey, thanks a lot for asking around, very kind of you! this looks very promising, ill sure check it out sooner or later. right now i am using DAZ 3D, and i have ordered POSER!

thanks for the hint and cheers, robozo

As an illustrator, Sculptris would be the ideal tool to use for sculpting your own head which would bring a more full understanding of all of the forms. All of the same basic principles apply from illustration.

As had already been answered, Sculptris doesn't come with too many models. You could check in the model sharing sticky just above. I haven't been there in quite a long time so I couldn't say what's in there. The other suggestions would work just as well.

For the material inside of Sculptris, that part is simple as well. It's just an image that Sculptris maps onto the model based on the angle. You will just need to create your own image that represents the edge lines. If you have Photoshop or GIMP, just create a basic file with square dimensions. While size doesn't really matter all that much, 512x512 should be more than sufficient here. Create a large black circle that reaches the edges of the canvas. Then create a white circle inside that will form the basis for the shadow and line weights. Just add the created file to the Materials folder.

I made a quick example of one as well as the results.

thanks for your reply, its tue, modelling would help me understand these shapes better. i did not understand the following:

"For the material inside of Sculptris, that part is simple as well. It's just an image that Sculptris maps onto the model based on the angle. You will just need to create your own image that represents the edge lines. If you have Photoshop or GIMP, just create a basic file with square dimensions. While size doesn't really matter all that much, 512x512 should be more than sufficient here. Create a large black circle that reaches the edges of the canvas. Then create a white circle inside that will form the basis for the shadow and line weights. Just add the created file to the Materials folder."

what does it mean?

I'll try to explain a little.

If you were to open up Sculptris, click on the small sphere image underneath where it says "MATERIAL" at the top of the screen. Each of those materials will change how the model is displayed. Here's an example of what that last image with a few different materials applied would look like.

Now, if you were to go into the file folders under Sculptris, you would see that each of those materials are just images (.jpg or .png). That means that you can add in your own to the folder (just as an FYI, you can only add so many before Sculptris starts having a problem, but I doubt that most will add enough to run into that issue). That's where Photoshop, GIMP, MaCrea, or your favorite image manipulation program comes in. As long as it can output a jpg or png, you can create almost anything that you want as a material. The only thing that you need to think about are keeping the dimensions square. Other than that, you can pretty much do what you want.

The image that I created with the black circle was just a quick example with a mostly upper right hand light source for lines. Here's a quick step by step:
    Just do a quick copy of the image
    save it into the Materials folder
    open up Sculptris
    import the .obj from whichever program that you created (if you aren't making your own head)
    click on the MATERIAL sphere
    find the image that you just saved to the Materials folder
    Click on it and move the model around.

Now you can start creating your own images that suit the lines that you're looking for. Just save them to the same Sculptris Materials folder and you can test them out.

ok, nice! sculpting sure is a fascinating thing, and it really helps to draw better. maybe someday ill take a closer look.

thanks a lot for your help, and a happy end of the year to you, robozo