ZBrushCentral

Alternative User-Interface configuration/s: AlphabeticUI

ZBrush 1.55b has several features which enable you to customize the user-interface (UI) to better fit your workflow. One of these features is the capability to automatically close an opened palette when a different one is accessed. This results in having only one palette open in a palette-tray (left-tray, right-tray, or both). When this feature is activated, the palette-trays behave similarly to the familiar pull-down menu, which allows access to one single menu at a time.

One possible use of this feature is creating an Alphabetic-UI in which all ZBrush palettes (except the Tool palette) are placed in the left-side tray in alphabetic order, while the Tool palette is placed in the right-side tray. Since the palettes on the left remain in constant order and are alphabetically listed; locating a palette is fast and consistent. New ZBrush users, as well as seasoned ZBrushers, may benefit from the simplicity of this configuration.

As seen above, this configuration was further enhanced by placing the most frequently-used drawing & editing buttons in a horizontal, easily accessible, floating palette.

Usage Tip: When frequently accessing one of the palettes on the left-tray (such as the COLOR palette within a texturing-session), you may click on top-right corner of the palette and drag it to the right tray. This will allow the palette to remain open and easily accessible during the session. At any time, clicking on the Custom button (at the top-right of the ZBrush window) will restore the palette to its original place within the left tray.

:large_orange_diamond:Click here to download the UI configuration file :large_orange_diamond:

Installation instructions…

1. Click on the above link and download the AlphabeticUI zip file.
  2. Extract the zipped file and place the UICustom.cfg file in your ZBrush folder. (If you already have a UICustom.cfg, simply rename it to avoid conflict with the new file. If needed, you will be able to restore your current configuration by restoring the file-name to UICustom.cfg)
  3. Launch ZBrush and test-drive this configuration :slight_smile:

Feel free to add your favorite UI-configuration and UI-related tips to this thread :slight_smile:
-Pixolator

Thank you Pixolator.
This is my interface:

Download UIConfig:
UICustom.zip
With this configuration i use often the following shortcut:

‘H’ key: to display/hide the ZScript Area

Alt+Click on Float Menu Item: open the palette relative to that item

cameyo

p.s. i wish to merge your (Pix) configuration with my floating palette…is it possible ?

cameyo: Thanks for posting your configuration :slight_smile: It is quite informative to see which ZBrush controls are being utilized in floating palettes.

As for your question…
Yes, it is possible to transfer floating palettes from one UI configuration to another :slight_smile:

By default, all floating palettes placed within the main document area, will be removed and replaced by floating palettes from another loaded configuration (if available). In order to allow your floating palettes to ‘survive’ the switch to another configuration; you need to temporarily place the palettes in a ‘safe’ location. There are two such locations in the ZBrush Z1.55b interface: these are the bottom areas of the left and right trays.

In your configuration/image, one such area is just below the LIGHT palette in the left-side tray. Click and drag each of your palettes into this area (when you move your palettes over this area, the area will be framed, indicating that it is ready to accept your floating palettes).

After you have dragged the floating palettes into this area, you are ready to load another UI configuration. Press ‘ctrl+i’ (the shortcut for PREFERENCES :small_orange_diamond:CONFIG :small_orange_diamond:Load Ui) and load a different UI configuration. When the configuration is loaded, you’ll notice that even though the ZBrush interface has changed, your floating palettes are still available in the ‘safe’ area. All that’s left is to click+drag these floating palettes back to the main document area, then press ctrl+shift+i to save your new configuration.

A recap of the steps…

I recommend that you first make a copy of your current UICustom.cfg file to allow you to revert to it when needed.

1. Launch ZBrush. Press “Custom” (top-right of the ZBrush window) to make sure your current custom configuration is active.
2. Drag the floating palettes to the safe area (to the left or the right side)
3. Press ctrl+i and load the next configuration file.
4. Drag your floating palettes back to the main document area.
5. Press ctrl+shift+i to store your new UI configuration.
6. Have fun ZBrushing with your new UI :slight_smile:

NOTE: You may also utilize this method to merge floating palettes from different UI configurations into one master-configuration.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
-Pixolator

Thanks, Pixolator :slight_smile: – that’s a handy tip to have the Tool palette by itself in the right tray, because of how much it expands and how frequently it is used

My setup is close, except I only use the left tray (with auto-collapse on) and don’t have ALL of the palettes in it (which of course means they get out of order) – will change that today :slight_smile:

By coincidence, the Starters config in v1.55b looks almost exactly like my one Custom Palette (I have selectors for color, tool, stroke, alpha, texture and material)

And I like that row of Drawing and Transform items along the top in the second figure – not only easy to access, but also easy to see at a glance what state your current tool is in

In fact, I think I will just download that UIConfig and add some Layer and Picker items as Cameyo has done :smiley:

Very useful idea for a thread :+1:

UPDATE: here is my new float menu with borrowings from Pixolator and Cameyo:

Ah, I was waiting for this thread! :))

Most suited to my brain whacked style and relatively arranged to each other (in mind for a modelling, painting style), since I use only one tray. I spent a little time designing this and now I scroll through the window with no trouble at all finding what I want! :slight_smile:

My interface won’t fit on one screen. :wink:
Light
Render
Layer (open)
Tool (open)
Transform (open)
Draw (open)
Stroke (open)
Alpha (open)
Material (open)
Picker
Color (open)
Texture (open)
Document (open)
Zscript (open)
Stencil
Marker
Preferences
Zoom
Edit (open)
Starters Toolbox
Movie

It makes sense to me, others beware. :smiley:

Here is my own default configuration. My philosophy was to put the things that I access most frequently on the right, less frequently on the left, and rarely used palettes were closed. This way, I can usually work with the left Tray collapsed, which gives more room for the canvas – since the Quick Menu can be used to switch to a different Alpha, Texture or Material, I only need to open it when I want to modify something.

The real power is in the Float Menu/Custom Palette. I have configuration controls, and also the Utilities slider which shows the internal numbers for interface items (since I plan to write a few more ZScripts in the future). All of my marker controls are on the left. The most commonly used Layer controls in the middle, along with 8 layers. I use the Picker palette a LOT, so that’s at the right, and immediately below it are the three Transform>Info sliders. I deliberately kept the Float Menu very thin so that it steals as little space from the document as possible (even though it can be turned on or off with the Tab key). It only extends down the left side of the canvas since collapsing the left tray would put anything extending down the right side in the middle of my document. :slight_smile:

Anyway, if anyone would like to use this layout for yourself, here it is

humble begginings hehe. god i love zbrush. its not often you get programs that just go from strength to strength.

If someone knew at that time, that this software will change VFX industry…
Ahhhh how time goes Zbrush is stronger and stronger.

Well the year is now 2011 and yes things have moved on quite a bit:lol: