Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Caught in the act

Long time no write in the forum.

I wish to share my latest personal work. It started as a photogrammetric head reconstruction based on frames extracted by a video self shooted to myself "just to see if it works". The raw model has been cleaned up in ZBrush, then retopoed in 3DCoat. Used again ZBrush for detail sculpting of head, suit and normal map production. The remaining objects were modeled in modo. Rendering in modo, post in PhotoShop.

Hope you like it!

Adding some work in progress screenshots, showing the process of refining the initial raw mesh into the final one.

This is the original photogrammetric mesh. The mesh has been built from mainly front shots extracted from a "selfie movie" i shot with a Panasonic LX100 in 4K (decided to use a 4K movie so i could extract many frames with nearly the same facial expression as it's easier than shooting photos). So the back of the mesh was "void" and needed to be manually rebuilt.
    For the photogrammetric reconstruction i used PhotoScan Standard. This is the easiest tool i found that i could afford.

The mesh after the initial cleaning and rebuild of the missing cranium back in ZBrush...

...and after applying the original photos projected on the mesh texture UV space. To achieve this, i first retopoed the raw mesh in 3DCoat and UVved it, then reimported it into PhotoScan and used the initial 3D solution to project the original photos on the new retopoed mesh. As the raw mesh was slightly different from the retopoed one, there were some minor reprojection issues which were easily fixed in PhotoShop.

The suit has been built on top of a MakeHuman base mesh (mainly through mesh extraction) and sculpted to get the desired result. Only the mesh useful for the illustration has been modeled (i left over the legs)

Then imported everything in modo and worked on the fur layers, trying to mimick the fur projected on the texture. The original texture was used as a subsurface color texture, the diffuse skin color and reflection channel were hand painted.

The tentacle monster is built from clones of the same initial tentacle, rigged in modo. Tentacles were the simplest part of the entire process. The head is a separate piece too, placed accordingly the desired final image. No much work on the monster as i was focused mainly on the space pirate character.

Ambient occlusion of the final composition.

The image has been rendered as separate layers (diffuse, shadows, specular, reflections, lights and so on...) then assembled in PhotoShop with final touches like the fog and some shading tweaks.

Hope you like it!
    Last edited by uuderzo; 01-03-17 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Better explanation of the process
    Umberto

Adding a closeup of the final "self portrait".

Cheers!
    Umberto

Adding some "before" and "after" wip screenshots of Agisoft Photoscan.

This is the high density colored point cloud that produced the very first raw mesh i then sculpted in ZBrush. 96 shots were used for the 3D photogrammetric solution.

After cleaning up the mesh, re-topologyze and UV, i re-imported the new mesh in the original 3D photogrammetric solution and used to project all the photos on the mesh texture.
    You can notice the back is lacking of texture information, that was reconstructed by hand in Photoshop.

Adding another close-up of the final portrait, as i noticed the previous one contained lots of JPeg artifacts.

Cheers!
    Umberto