ZBrushCentral

Old model revisited WIP...

Hello,

Gave Zbrush another try with a very old model.
I used to render in Modo but decided to try using Arnold with alshaders this time.
This is still wip and I’ll later post the list of things I’d like to improve.

Comments and critics are welcome. Thank you

Attachments

BK_WIP2017_01.jpg

I just checked your last work before this in here, and it was from around 2006, wow. This is definitely a huge overhaul from your previous attempt.

I also checked your portfolio site. Even though it’s outdated, you were already a pro since 2003 or something, phew! You’ve got a lot of experience under your belt. And I started 3D in the December 2012, lol…

Anyway, a little criticism. His eyes are looking great from a shading standpoint (a proper convexity and glossiness on the cornea and concavity on the iris, and good refraction), but the iris itself could be more defined. Here’s a good technique to give more definiton for the iris: http://jhill.xyz/eye-tutorial/

Two good examples I found of his eyes:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/a/a7/Ben_Kingsley.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130425205425
http://media.salon.com/2013/10/ben_kingsley.jpg

Notice how the color changes between the pupil and outer edge of the iris. Maybe you don’t need to get the exact look, but something similar to give him even more likeness. :wink:

shader reads really good man!
nice!!

FourtyNights:

Thanks a lot. You’re definitely right about the eyes… It’s on my long list of little things to do. As old mesh… Man, they are so bad, it’s embarrassing:confused: I wish I could delete them all.

marianosteiner:

Thanks man… I really plan to improve it though.

A very little update along with gray render and Zbrush snapshots. Thank you.

Jacques.

nice !!

Thank you saecong!

Not yet done but I tried to improve a few things here and there… Hope the next one will be better and definitely cleaner :wink:

BK_WIP2017_02.png

Thank you.

this is really cool , waiting for final , awesome :+1:

Excellent work, love it! Top row stuff

Nice to see you posting again Jaques.

Very nice work!

:small_orange_diamond: MIMDIAmond :small_orange_diamond:
Thanks a lot man. Looking forward to final too!

:small_orange_diamond: GothicGrin :small_orange_diamond:

Thank you. still have work to do to hope getting it top row.

:small_orange_diamond: brettSinclair :small_orange_diamond:

Hey man, it’s been a while… So much to catch up. Thank you Brett! PS: Keep on the great work!

:small_orange_diamond: Francis Bezooyen :small_orange_diamond:

Thank you very much!

Still have to tweak few things… Eyes (especially tear ducts blend), add peach fuzz, better skin details, beard and of course do his jacket… I wish I had more time. sight!

BK_WIP2017_03a.jpg

Getting closer to finish it… Clothing definitely needs more work and another few tweaking before calling this one done:)

Thank you.

Jacques

Jacques, I’ve been a long-time follower of your works since CGTalk back in the day (I’m talking 2004!). Your work has always raised the bar and in the year 2017, you’re still doing it. I haven’t logged into ZBrush Central for ages but I had to just to say that: this latest piece that you’ve revised/concocted is truly amazing stuff. It’s so close to a photo. Virtually everything has been perfected by you over the years: observation, model, lighting, texturing, shading, THE EYES, and finally - rendering.

I cannot wait to see the final piece. Please keep at it!

What MisterE said lol.

Really amazing job! Likeness is something i really struggle with, and watching your work makes me wanna keep pushing. Ill be sure to see it finished!!

Thank you MisterE. Time goes so fast man. I always try to improve and having to catch up with some of the amazing artists on this forum encourages me. I’m back with Zbrush not so long ago and I also switched to Arnold/Alshaders so that’s going to take a bit before I’m really comfortable with it.

Thanks a lot rokkuroxxas. I agree, likeness is not easy and requires quite some practice/observation but it’s fun.

I’ll probably post a few other renders when I have a bit of time but I called this one done… Even if I hate saying this :slight_smile:
I hope you like it. Thank you.

Jacques.

Tried slightly different lightings and a bit of color grading. Hope you like it.

Thank you.

Jacques.

Glad to see you continue this, Jacques! I much, much prefer the middle, warmer/orange render. To me, it stands out above and beyond as the most photo-real.
In other news, modeling-wise, from the side I can see now: I like how you’ve modeled his nose. Very well done.