Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Jon snow journey

Hi everyone. I wanted to create this thread to have people join me in this journey. I want to recreate Jon Snow as a game character. However, I want this character to be the coolest one I've ever made. Some game companies won't hire me because they believe I can't do the work, so I want to showcase to the world and see if I can or I can't. It's my challenge and I'll attempt to make daily posts to keep this thread updated. My mistakes or successes will be on display for everyone to see. Please join me in this journey and do not hesitate to post in this thread and give me some feedback. I thank everyone in advance who joins or who just takes a look at this thread.
    Here is my beginning. Everything will be made from scratch starting from a sphere. In this stage I blocked the main upper torso masses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Update #1

I've began adding the limbs to this model. Also I've sculpted my main landmarks that I'll use in the coming days. At this stage I'm just worried about main body proportions. I measured Kit Harrington body proportions and he is 7 1/3 heads high. However, I'll make my model 7 1/2 heads. I'll adjust accordingly as I go on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phase2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	546342  

Update #2
    Now that I have my main landmarks established, I began adding some muscles. I mainly focused on the upper body. For the lower body I only made sure the rhythm of the forms were established.

Update #3

Hey everyone. thanks to all who are following this thread. Now I worked on the lower body. I added some muscle definitions and tried to establish a better form for the knee and tibia. I'll attempt to make another update tomorrow. At the moment I'm switching computers so it might be a couple of days before I upload more updates. BTW I still can't figure out how to insert my images properly. It's a hit or miss between thumbnails and the actual image. Apologies for that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phase4.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	546800  

Update #4

I did some refinement of the lower body forms. I probably shouldn't because I still had other areas to block out, but I wanted to get a quick look and feel of a semi-finished leg. Nevertheless, the legs still need more sculpting. Thanks to all who are following this thread and please post any feedback if you feel compelled.Take care.

Update #4

Hi everyone. I've been decommissioned for some days while I was switching to my new PC. My old one had already over 10 years of service so it was long due for retirement. Nevertheless, here is a new update. I refined a bit more the upper torso and I also blocked more forms to the head. I believe on my next update I'll try to refine all forms of the body (excluding the head) and I'll try to add some fingers. Once i finish this, I'll move over to focus on the head and attempt to achieve good likeness. Thanks to all who are following the thread. Take care.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up Great Start

Great start Ruben, can't wait to see how this comes together.

Update #6

First of All, I want to say thanks so much Randall for your comment. I hope can make more regular posts instead of every 3 or 4 days. Alright, here is my latest update. I mainly added fingers to the hands and refined a couple of spots. After this I hope to finalize the body, which will be covered completely by clothing. Nevertheless, I want to have good shapes when I make the clothes. However, before doing the clothes I'll focus on achieving his likeness and my main posts will be updating progress on his face. Will see ho this goes. Thanks to all that are following the thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Update # 7,

Hi everyone. Another update. More refinement on the body and finishing the hands. Like I mentioned before, I'm not placing too much detail on this areas because it will be covered with clothes. Some people might say that what I've sculpted is already too much for something that will not show, but I want some good shapes so the clothes drape nice during simulation in Marvelous Designer. The body is almost done. I think one more update and I'll be done with it. then I'll be completely moving over to the head and attempting to achieve the daunting task of Kit Harrington likeness. thanks for all that are following the thread and please feel free with any questions you might have. Take care.

Update #8,

Hi everyone. I think I can call the body done for now. After this update I'll be mainly focusing on the face and attempting to achieve likeness. I already did some changes to the face, but they are not major. I hope you like it and as always thanks to all who are following the thread.

Update #9,

Okay, here is my first pass of the face. There is still lots to do. I feel Kit Harrington essence is there, but by no means the sculpt likes like him at this stage. The main masses of the face are close. The profile matches pretty good, but overall the features need more work. Hopefully by the next update I can get him closer to looking like jon snow. I believe this is the most important part of my character. If i fail to achieve likeness, it won't matter how nice clothing and props I can model for him. therefore, I' won't pass this phase until I feel I'm successful. Thanks to all who are following the thread.

Update #10,

Hi everyone. I've done more work to the head to get closer to Kit Harrington's likeness. Still not there yet. I'm not happy with how he looks at the moment. I still don't feel he captures his likeness. I'll keep working on it and hopefully in the next update I get closer.

Update #11,

Hi everyone. Here is my latest update. I took me a while to post this one. I've been quite busy with some other personal chores. With this update I think I got closer to his likeness. I still haven't broken symmetry yet, but I think I'll do that on the next update. Also, even though I said I wasn't going to tweak the body anymore, I did. I made some changes to the upper torso proportions and many changes to the legs. I Hope you like it and thanks to all who are following. Take care.

Update #12,

Hi everyone. alright, I think I'm getting closer to his likeness, but I'm still not there yet. I broke off a bit from symmetry, mainly in the eyes. I also adjusted a bit the body again. I know I said I wouldn't do it anymore, but other artist pointed out some problems and I agreed with them. There were changes to the torso, shoulders and still have to check the legs again. Nevertheless, I'll keep working on his likeness and like I said, I will not proceed with any other part of the model until I feel I've succeeded with his likeness. thanks to all who are following the thread.

I really like that you push your anatomy further before getting to clothes.

Two things I just noticed. His legs are a bit too small from the front view. They also could be spread apart a tad more, to give him a bit more grounded stance. Also, sculpting his feet with separate toes helps you to fit shoes better for him in future.

To be honest, I've never liked dynamesh, so I usually start with a basemesh with polygroups and with a proper mouthbag to fit gums/teeth inside the mouth. But you still have a chance to retopo and project all the sculpted details back, and have a proper basemesh to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast