ZBrushCentral

Just looking for some advice

Hello everyone!

I’ve been practicing on my own for quite a while and now decided to share a head sculpt I’m working on.
Overall I like the shapes that I have but I’m not quite happy with the detail level in some areas; to be precise the eyelids.

The line in the eyelid looks bumpy and I would like to know what would be the best way to tackle that, in the images I have the head at 4 mil and 17 mil with 2 division levels respectively. I was wondering if I should use the trimdynamic brush to smooth those bumps or if I should go back and dynamesh a little bit more before increasing geometry levels.

I acknowledge that I can only get so far on my own so any tips or comments will be deeply appreciated.

Attachments

Head.png

Eyemeshlevel2.png

EyeMesh.png

The best way is to start with a quite low polygon basemesh and work on each sub-d level with a care, to avoid those uneven surfaces later on. You’d be surprised how much you can do in the first 1-2 sub-d levels without subdiving anything yet. Depending on how low your basemesh is.

You also need to focus on basic proportions, shapes, bony landmarks, structure and planes of the face first. This is how I work with each subdivison level. Besides, the lower your basemesh, the more artistic freedom and control you have.

http://i.imgur.com/M3Mw5Ae.jpg

Oh thanks for the reply!

Between the 5th and 6th sculpt have you applied any subdivision level? or is it all dynamesh?

For mine, between level 1 and 2 there are almost no differences so I was thinking of ditching that second level and working some more with dynamesh.

No, in the example of mine I had a low polygon basemesh I started sculpting with. I worked on each subdivision level as much as I could before moving to the next sub-d level. No dynamesh, I never use that. So everything you see is the same model with 6 sub-d levels.

If your model is having no difference from 1 to 2 sub-d levels, you’re working with a way too dense mesh, which is hard to control. I would recommend a low polygon basemesh with a good sculptable topology… but if you still wish to continue using dynamesh, you should lower its resolution and work gradually from there.

And no problem, it’s a pleasure to help artists who are starting to get a grasp of what they’re doing.

Here are also some good anatomy resources to learn from:

I hope this helps. Keep working! :wink: