The artistic spirit that created Detroit's Heidelberg Project is being carried to Australia next week when urban environmental painter and sculptor Tyree Guyton heads to Sydney. skateboarding tricks for beginners

Guyton plans to use his urban art approach of turning cast-off articles, and painted spots and stripes into exhibits by aboriginal youth in the troubled Redfern area of South Sydney. Four exhibit areas are to be completed by fall, in Sydney Park, at a school, community center and skateboard park, Guyton said.

Guyton has won numerous art awards, his work is shown in galleries and museums around the country and he has appeared on national television programs.

Heidelberg Project hosts its second annual fund-raiser at 6 p.m. July 18 at Fifth Avenue in Comerica Park. Entertainment includes vocalist Thornetta Davis, and one of Guyton's works will be auctioned.

Admission is $25 at the door or $20 in advance by contacting Jenenne Whitfield at (313) 537-8037.

Hawkins indictment posted on CDB Web site

It may not be lusty and crusty. More like musing and confusing.

Those with time on their hands can visit Breaking News on our Web site, and dig into the perjury charges filed last month against Detroit restaurateur La-Van Hawkins.

A Philadelphia grand jury alleges that Hawkins perjured himself during testimony concerning two $5,000 checks he wrote. The indictment alleges that Philadelphia attorney Ronald White used the money from Hawkins and others to gain influence in city business through former city Treasurer Corey Kemp.

The entire 155-page indictment can be found on our site. The section pertaining to Hawkins, which begins on Page 117 of the document (Page 122 of the PDF itself), includes these details:

* Hawkins testified that in March 2002, he wrote a $5,000 check to Kemp as a wedding gift, but the check didn't clear. The indictment alleges that the check did clear and that the funds were given to Kemp - who, in fact, had gotten married. Nearly two years earlier. what size of skateboard should i get

* In September 2002, Hawkins gave White another $5,000 check that was not made out to anyone. Hawkins said White was going to give the money to some unidentified African-American newspapers that "were helping me in my case against Burger King.'' According to the indictment, the check bounced twice.

* Two days before that second check, White gave Hawkins a $5,000 check that Hawkins said could have been to reimburse him for the first $5,000 check ... or it could have been partial payment of a $40,000 loan, which Hawkins thinks he made in cash.

Asked where he would get so much cash, Hawkins replied: "I think you already know I'm a multimillionaire. So $40,000, you know, I'm sorry, that $40,000 just came out of my money.'' Specifically, a drawer in his office.

Dauch's name part of new HQ address

The street address for American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc.'s Detroit headquarters contains a familiar name - that of its chairman and CEO.

You can find the new headquarters off I-75 and Holbrook Avenue at One Dauch Drive, named after Richard Dauch, the company's co-founder.

The idea came from employees, executives and friends. Dauch was kept in the dark about the street name for as long as possible, said Carrie Gray, director of corporate relations.

His reaction?

"I don't think he hated it, of course,'' she said. "We thought it would give some recognition for some of the things he's done for the auto industry and the city.''

In 1994, Dauch, along with Blackstone Capital, bought the former General Motors Corp. Gear and Axle plant in Detroit and created American Axle. The aging, money-losing operation was modernized and turned profits. how to set up a skateboard

Until last year, executive offices were in the plant. Employees began moving to the new headquarters, just west of the plant, last July. The last group, which included Dauch, moved in last December. The company is hosting a dedication and tour July 23.