ZBrushCentral

Laocoon

Hi everyone,

This is a personal project that i started some years ago and, finally, I decided to finish it.
It’s a model of a greek statue from Hellenistic period, Laocoon and Sons or Laocoon group…
There are several versions on different places. I tried to make the statue placed on Vatican Museum, which is supposed to be the original or, at least, the oldest version.

When I started the model I just wanted to make the main statue (father) so, when I completed the group, I realized
that I made some mistakes on the pose, also because I used references from different versions.
I tried to fix those problems, more or less…
Anyway, here it is the final result. Hope you like it.

Modeled in ZBrush, rendered in Keyshot and comps in Photoshop

Attachments

LAOCOONTE_Contrapicado.jpg

LAOCOONTE_Picado.jpg

LAOCOONTE_Comp.jpg

LAOCOON_PG.jpg

LAOCOONTE_PP.jpg

1 Like

This looks fantastic !

Congratulations on coming to the completion of this personal project ! I’m sure you learned much along the way while working on this piece. Truly, congratulations on sticking to it, or returning to it and finishing it!

Could you maybe post some clay renders and further details (?)

This piece reminds me so much of “Ugolino and his sons” by Jean Baptiste Carpeaux.

Thank you for sharing !

DougE

Excellent work :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thanks a lot, DougE

Here there are some more images.

LAOCOON_Clay_1.jpgLAOCOON_Clay_3.jpg

Attachments

LAOCOON_Clay_4.jpg

LAOCOON_Clay_6.jpg

Thank you Phil01

Great work :slight_smile:

Amazing work - saw this in person at Vatican, great job on likeness / how did you make the marble material in key shot?

d100763

Hi d100763,

Thank you for your comment.
I’m not sure the place on Vatican Museum where the statue is placed is exactly like this because I couldn’t get very good references, but I tried to make something similar.
About the marble material in Keyshot, I used a translucent material with opacity at 7. I also used a fractal noise texture for specularity.
I think that I made some changes on the fly because of the final result, depending on the different HDRI used for the renders.
I’m not an expert on Keyshot materials, but this is what I achieved.

LAOCOON_V.jpg
Material screenshot.png

Some renders of Laocoon statue in marmoset Toolbag 3 and a short video

Laocoon_MarmosetPG.jpgLaocoon_PP_Marmoset.jpgLaocoon_PM_Marmoset.jpg
[youtubehd]WmLbYFkctPs[/youtubehd]