ZBrushCentral

The Mask WIP

The wooden mask from the Jim Carrey movie made using Zbrush and Maya, it’s still in wip stage till tomorrow since i plan on 3d printing it, comments and critiques are very welcomed.

The Mask WIP 03.jpg

Attachments

Preparing the model for 3d printing, each piece will be printed separately for faster print time.
The Mask WIP 04.jpg

Printed the first 2 pieces.
The Mask Wip 05.JPG
The Mask Wip 06.JPG
The Mask Wip 08.JPG
The Mask Wip 07.JPG

Attachments

The Mask Wip 05.JPG

The Mask Wip 06.JPG

The Mask Wip 08.JPG

The Mask Wip 07.JPG

22 hours later … Split Personality anyone?
The Mask Wip 09.JPG
The Mask Wip 10.JPG

It looks great! Will you do some post process on it like sanding, using some putty to fill the gaps between parts, painting and such?

I will definitely be finishing it, already have something similar to spot putty, will have to order some XTC3D to fill the layer lines and overall imperfections and need to find a 2in1 grey filler primer near my area( probably at automotive shops).
For the paint there are 2 version of the mask, the movie ( uses different green colors and a metallic color for the center piece) and the animated version ( just a brown wood like color). If you have any suggestions for finishing please let me know as i am relatively new to this and only finished one 3d printed model before.

If I’m not wrong, Joseph Drust is using some Wood filler/putty as it will fill easily the layers gap and it’s easy to sand. For the XTC3D, I saw a lot of positive and negative feedback about it, it never gave the will to try it.

I’ll start very soon large prints, then I’ll have to do some experiments as well, but the first thing to do is to apply some primer as it will show you all the imperfections and will help you know where you need to fix things.

Right, will do that thanks for the advice, i’m using this tutorial for finishing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFoQzc08xA4
The annoying thing about PLA is that it doesn’t sand that good, tried wet sanding and it works better but on this particular mask one piece has a deeper layer line( i think the filament caught on the spool) and that will be tricky to fix.

Update time

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG

Attachments

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Video printing this piece

All the parts have been glued except for the center piece, will be keeping that separate for painting purposes, the brighter areas are from wet sanding and that’s the reason i chose a colored filament to give visual difference where i sanded.
The Mask Wip 11.JPG

Attachments

The Mask Wip 11.JPG

With the center “Loki” piece on.
The Mask Wip 12.JPG

Attachments

The Mask Wip 12.JPG

looks like the same as the movie!
So cool!

Right, glad you like it :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:, i tried my best to get it looking like the movie, i even tried after eyeballing the shapes to match it to the reference images but since photos have perspective on them, and there isn’t information on what camera was used it’s never going to be 100% accurate.

And just because i like to finish my 3d models i decided to create a game rez version and texture it, only baked normal and ao in painter for now.
The Mask Wip 13.JPG
The Mask Wip 15.JPG
The Mask Wip 14.JPG

Attachments

The Mask Wip 13.JPG

Finished texturing the mask game model, next will work more on the 3d printed mask and finish it once i have the materials and tools i ordered.
TheMask_IrayPainterRender_W07B.jpg
TheMask_IrayPainterRender_W08B.jpg
TheMask_IrayPainterRender_W09B.jpg
TheMask_IrayPainterRender_W11B.jpg
TheMask_IrayPainterRender_W12B.jpg

Posted the 3d game model on artstation

Well finally got some free time and been playing a bit with XTC on some models to test it out before applying it to the Mask.
On the models bellow they turned out pretty great, really liking XTC, one thing i should mention however is that the substance is pretty thick and it covered up all the layer lines but also some of the details and did a bit of sanding on them. After searching online i found out that you can thin it with acetone or alcohol so will be trying that next.
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

use denatured alcohol to thin it out.

Is it better than acetone? I already bought acetone so will test it with this first on a test piece.