ZBrushCentral

The Sacred Altar (UE4)

Hi everyone,

I made this personal project for my wife in UE4, starting from this zbrush sculpt.

You can see the full project and UE4 video here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z8b2m

Thanks for watching.

-Saga

Attachments

Beautiful work. Were all of the pieces done in ZBrush? Would love to see more ZBRush images as well.

Thanks so much Gabo!

My workflow was essentially as follows:

1. Modeled low poly base roof vault, structural ribs and columns in 3ds max, then imported to zbrush.

2. Modeled several low poly decorative baroque and floral shapes with good topology in 3ds max (max 2000s polys each at lowest subdivision level, usually less than that).

3. Brought these decorative objects into zbrush and made several IMM brushes categorized by type (side wing curvy objects brush, central emblem shapes brush, leaves and flowers brush, etc).

4. Studying several late baroque-era references (especially the Opera Garnier in Paris), I started drawing the IMM brushes along the base vault geometry, iterating on the design. I used curve snap brush to draw out sweeping lines along the surfaces from which leaves/flowers would grow.

5. I subdivided the base roof vault geometry underneath the IMM layer so that I could sculpt transitional blending curved surfaces in between the IMM brush shapes.

6. Lots of back and forth between zbrush and Unreal engine to see how much geo the engine could handle in real time, and how best to split up the subtools for optimum texture resolution.

7. After several rounds of iteration, landed on what I felt was the right amount of geo for UE, and split up the subtools accordingly (see screenshot below).

8. UV mapped everything in UV Master based on polygroups (which worked a charm), and exported high and low poly of each subtool for baking and texturing in substance painter.

9. Set up level in UE, using rocks and set dressing I made for previous projects (except for the grass and flowers on the ground, which came from Unreal asset store).

Thanks for the kind words, your amazing tutorials have helped me immensely over the past few years!
-Saga

SagaVaultedCeiling_Screenshot3b.jpg

SagaVaultedCeiling_Screenshot4b.jpg

Attachments

SagaVaultedCeiling_Screenshot3b.jpg

SagaVaultedCeiling_Screenshot4b.jpg

A very ethereal and tenderly atmospheric piece.:+1:

This is work I really, really like.

thanks for sharing, and hop0e to see more.
Mow over to Artstation…

very nice work

Thanks so much guys :slight_smile:

The model is very nice, :))

A lovely piece, atmospheric & nicely executed.

Fabulous.