ZBrushCentral

A Way Out - Character Art Dump

A WAY OUT - Character Art Dump

Hey ZBrushCentral!

I would like to show you some of the work I did for the indie game A Way Out. I started out as an intern just when production of the game got started and by the end of it I had become the Lead Character Artist at Hazelight. During the years of production I learned a lot and as always ZBrush was my main tool when it came to creating the characters for A Way Out. Big thanks to everyone at Hazelight! Credit goes to the whole studio. The entire team worked really hard to make this game happen.

Leo & Vincent

Throughout production of A Way Out I was tasked with creating many of the main characters. It was an honor to be a part of this project and to be entrusted with creating Leo and Vincent as they are some of the most important characters in the game. My role as a character artist mainly focused on sculpting, modeling and texturing their heads, bodies, arms/hands and hairstyles (plus some wrinkle maps etc). During the project I always kept an eye on their overall look based on the directions from our Creative Director, Josef Fares, and Art Director, Claes Engdal. Many of Leo and Vincent’s different outfits were created by the other talented character artists at Hazelight; including Moa Alfredsson, Hvile Öhrnell and Carl-Emil Andreasson. Shaders were done by Jon Micheelsen.

leo1.jpg
leo2.jpg
leo3.jpg
leo4.jpg
leo5.jpg
leo6.jpg
leo7.jpg
leo8.jpg

Attachments

leo8.jpg

leo7.jpg

leo6.jpg

leo5.jpg

leo4.jpg

leo1.jpg

leo3.jpg

vincent1.jpg
vincent2.jpg
vincent3.jpg
vincent4.jpg
vincent5.jpg
vincent6.jpg
vincent7.jpg
vincent9.jpg

Attachments

vincent9.jpg

vincent7.jpg

vincent5.jpg

vincent4.jpg

vincent3.jpg

vincent2.jpg

vincent1.jpg

Dragomir

My role mainly focused on sculpting, modeling and texturing the head, arms and beard. Dragomir’s clothes were sculpted by Carl-Emil Andreasson. I created the final in-game mesh/textures of the body with some additional tweaks in the end.

dragomir1.jpg
dragomir2.jpg
dragomir4.jpg
dragomir7.jpg
dragomir8.jpg
dragomir9.jpg
dragomir11.jpg

Attachments

dragomir2.jpg

dragomir4.jpg

dragomir1.jpg

dragomir8.jpg

dragomir9.jpg

dragomir11.jpg

Sean & Jasmine

On Sean my role focused on the entire character. On Jasmine my role mainly focused on sculpting, modeling and texturing the head and hair. Jasmine’s clothes were created by Carl-Emil Andreasson and textured by Moa Alfredsson.

jasmineandsean1.jpg
jasmineandsean2.jpg
jasmineandsean3.jpg
jasmineandsean4.jpg
jasmineandsean5.jpg
jasmineandsean7.jpg
jasmineandsean8.jpg
jasmineandsean9.jpg

Attachments

jasmineandsean1.jpg

jasmineandsean2.jpg

jasmineandsean3.jpg

jasmineandsean4.jpg

jasmineandsean5.jpg

jasmineandsean7.jpg

jasmineandsean8.jpg

jasmineandsean9.jpg

Linda

I worked on the head and hair for Linda. Linda’s different outfits were created by Moa Alfredsson, Hvile Öhrnell and Carl-Emil Andreasson.

Harvey

I was tasked with creating the head and hair for the main villain, Harvey. All of the great looking outfits that can be seen on Harvey throughout the game were created by Moa Alfredsson.

Harvey1.jpg
Harvey2.jpg

James

I worked on the head and hair model for James. Carl-Emil Andreasson and Moa Alfredsson created the different outfits for him.

Attachments

The Hitman

On the hitman model my role mainly focused on sculpting, modeling and texturing the head and hair. The hitman’s clothes were sculpted and modeled by Carl-Emil Andreasson. I created the final in-game textures of the body with some additional tweaks in the end.
Unfortunately the mustache did not make it into the final game (but I did some renders with it anyway ^^.)

Hitman1.jpg
Hitman2.jpg
Hitman3.jpg
Hitman4.jpg

Ray

Head and hair models for Ray created by me. Clothes were done by Carl-Emil Andreasson.

Ray1.jpg
Ray3.jpg
Ray5.jpg
Ray6.jpg

Attachments

Hitman2.jpg

Hitman3.jpg

Hitman1.jpg

Hitman4.jpg

Ray1.jpg

Ray3.jpg

Ray5.jpg

Ray6.jpg

MISC

Below is a selection of various NPC work I did for A Way Out.

MISC1.jpg
MISC3.jpg
MISC4.jpg
MISC6.jpg
MISC7.jpg
MISC8.jpg
MISC9.jpg
MISC10.jpg
MISC11.jpg

Attachments

MISC1.jpg

MISC3.jpg