Super Moderator Follow User Gallery

Default The ZBrush Michelangelo Challenge

“Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.”
    -Michelangelo

As if you needed another reason to attend the ZBrush Summit this year, we have added a fun new challenge that ANYONE on-site can participate in! This year we are introducing The Michelangelo Challenge where artists are presented with a digital block of stone and tasked with creating a sculpt, paying homage to sculptors of the past.

Four workstations will be available and each artist will be given 15 minutes in which to sculpt.

Take advantage of the new Sculptris Pro feature in ZBrush 2018 to carve and chisel your way through digital clay in a quick, fun and artistic way. The winner will receive Ultimaker’s 3 Extended printer valued at $4,295! The challenge will run all three days of the ZBrush Summit at our Hollywood headquarters so come one, come all and show off your sculpting chops!

Michelangelo was limited to a block of stone but in the digital world the only limit is your imagination!

Watch the video above for an example sculpt so that you can understand exactly what the contest is looking for. The idea is not so much to add to the block but more to cut into it to reveal your creation. Then start practicing now by downloading the file that will be used at the 2018 ZBrush Summit during the challenge.

The following rules* apply to this challenge:

1. Winner will be chosen by a panel of judges.
    2. Sculpt must be completed at the 2018 ZBrush Summit to qualify for the winning prize.
    3. Sculpting can only to take place during the times below at the 2018 ZBrush Summit:
      • Friday: 12:00 pm - 6:20 pm
      • Saturday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
      • Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:25 pm

4. There is a time limit of 15 minutes per entry.
    5. You must start from the ZBrush Michelangelo Challenge Project. Download Here.
    6. During the contest in order to harness the power of Sculptris Pro you are only able to use brushes that have Sculptris Pro enabled**.
    7. You are limited to only sculpting on the SubTool provided in the ZBrush Michelangelo Challenge Project file.
    8. Models should not be PolyPainted or textured. Model should retain the same color and surface noise provided in the ZBrush Challenge Project.
    9. You may sculpt anywhere on the Digital Stone but you must keep the base of the sculpt to show that the model was created out of a cube.
    10. You may enter the contest more than once (restrictions apply based on availability).
    11. Four sculpting machines will be available for entering. They are open once every 15 mins. First come, first served.
    12. Absolutely no files can be installed on the machines.
    13. Machines will not have internet access.
    14. Pixologic Inc, Lenovo, Wacom and Ultimaker reserve the right to use all entries for promotional purposes.

Please feel free to experiment and post your very own sculpts in this thread.
    (only those attending the Summit are eligible to win the prize)

*Pixologic reserves the right to change these rules at any time without prior notice.

** Blob, Clay, ClayBuildup, ClayTubes, ClayTubesConstant, Crumple, CurveBridge, DamStandard, Deco1, Displace, Elastic, Flakes, Flatten, Fold, FormSoft, Fracture, hPolish, Inflat, MaskLasso, MaskPen, Move Elastic, Move, Nudge, Pinch, Planar, Polish, Rake, SelectLasso, SelectRect, Slash3, Slide, Smooth, SmoothPeaks, SmoothValleys, SnakeCactus, SnakeHook, SnakeHook2, SnakeSphere, SoftClay, SoftConcrete, Spiral, sPolish, Standard, Transpose, TrimAdaptive, TrimDynamic, Weave1

Sponsored by Ultimaker, Lenovo and Wacom

Default ZBrush Michaelangelo Challenge Test - Noely ryan (@noelyfeen)

Hi All, decided to give this a try. Wont be making it to the summit unfortunately. Ill get there someday!
    15 minutes! Phew!
    Hopefully you like it! Much love!
    Best,
    Noely in Dublin.

BPR render

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

@NoeleoN: Nice one!

Here are a few quick test ones just playing around done in a more additive fashion (only a few minutes for each of these.) :)

-Joseph

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Re: Michelangelo Challenge

@piggyson Thanks Joseph!

Video Modern Sculpture

I gave a try to this challenge.

Last edited by aurick; 08-24-18 at 08:08 AM. Reason: cant get bbcode to work

Video Bi Tan's test

Thanks, Jaime to encourage me to post it. This is an amazing idea! I'm very excited to do things like this~

It has been a very long time since my last post, but I'm glad to be back!

Cheers,

Tan

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LS8_e7UZ8qs" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="1024" height="576" frameborder="0"></iframe>

@bitans beautifully done.

Default Nero's First Challenge sketch

Tried out the project file for a first sketch - really fun to play around with! :-D

Member Follow User Gallery

Default ZBrush Michelangelo Challenge only at the ZBrush Summit 2018

There is my entry, is very fun this challengue 15 minuts sculpt xd, i hope like it,

Portafolio - https://www.artstation.com/juliocesarbenavidesmacias

The exercice is really intresting! I'm not going to lie, it's my 3rd try but here it is 15 minutes... fiouuu it's haard!!!

Cheers!

Hi,

It is cool to see these experiments, I am looking forward to seeing what artists can do during the Summit in real time!

Here is one of my tests. NoeleoN (above) had an interesting concept to start sculpting in one of the corners so I have used the same idea in here. In order to be able to sculpt in symmetry, I first rotate the cube 45 degrees and then started the sculpting...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fJHt4jETtL0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Video Thats my Doodle

Here is a doodle from me sculpted with symmetry off.
    I Lost of initial history the base was a block ( I dunno how i lost it)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sXCQ5py-ev4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Default my test

my first try on this, coupled the passion that cats have for boxes and the fact they become invisibile to others when they have no eye contact

Zbrush Certified Instructor
    #39-DA-10-09

my sketchbook
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=80283

Default Nero's Challenge sketches

This is really fun, so another one:

Check out the video here:

Default Test

Testing
    Im super excited for this live contest