ZBrushCentral

ZBrush Summit 2018 Lando's Millennium Falcon

This is version 2.0 of Lando’s Millennium Falcon that I designed and printed for the ZBrush Summit. Pixologic was so gracious as to include the Falcon, in their exhibit: The Art of ZBrush IV (at the Gnomon Gallery until December 2018).

I modeled it using ZBrush Zmodeler and another software, gathering a ton of reference. Thank you, Youtube’s Star Wars Show, and my buddy Jay Machado, Masa Narita, Greg Grusby, and James Clyne from ILMVFX for their inputs and suggestions after seeing the 1.0 version.
This Falcon was prepped for print fully in ZBrush 2018! This print would not have been possible without ZModeler and Live Booleans, OMG like really guys, you slay me with how Awesome ZModeler and Live Booleans make Hard Surface modeling a joyful and efficient experience!!!

This Falcon consists of over a hundred subtools and 56 separate Formlabs Form 2 prints.

Most of the prints were done with Formlabs Tough V5 resin, as Tough Resin simulates the feel and many of the important mechanical properties of ABS plastic.

Some of the inserts shown in the raw (un-primed) printed parts photos, were completed in Formlabs Clear V4 resin.
Finally, the landing gear and landing gear bay doors were printed using Formlabs Durable V2 material, as it is Formlabs most impact resistant material, Durable Resin is also highly wear resistant, and capable of extreme deformation before breaking. Durable V2 resin also has low friction compared to Standard and Tough Resin. Thus, this material is great for carrying the weight of this prototype, as well as handling the open/close swiveling of the landing bay doors.

My goal was to showcase how precise and how well the Formlabs Form 2 printer, is capable of handling such large-scale prints. Even though this Falcon with the Escape pod attached is approximately 30” x 18” x 8”, you may print models much larger than the Form 2 printers build volume and keep every ZBrush modeled stroke and detail.

Thanks again Pixologic for providing such an amazing tool!

Falcon_full_01_comp.jpgThumbnail.jpgThumbnail_02.jpgThumbnail_03.jpgThumbnail_08.jpgZMod_Escape_Pod_comp.jpgThumbnail_04.jpgThumbnail_05.jpgThumbnail_06.jpgThumbnail_07.jpgFalcon_full_03_comp.jpgThumbnail_09.jpgThumbnail_011.jpgThumbnail_012.jpgThumbnail_LAST.jpg
https://youtu.be/uGL3Vby9Id0

My Instagram
My Artstation
My LinkedIn

Attachments

ZMod_Escape_Pod_comp.jpg

Falcon_full_01_comp.jpg

Falcon_full_03_comp.jpg

Thumbnail.jpg

Thumbnail_02.jpg

Thumbnail_03.jpg

Thumbnail_05.jpg

Thumbnail_06.jpg

Thumbnail_07.jpg

Thumbnail_08.jpg

Thumbnail_09.jpg

Thumbnail_04.jpg

Thumbnail_011.jpg

Thumbnail_012.jpg

Thumbnail_LAST.jpg

Fantastic job! It’s even better when looking at it with your own eyes :slight_smile:

Great work : )