ZBrushCentral

Realistic skin porosity with Z-Brush Tutorial

Realistic skin porosity with Z-Brush Tutorial
s.jpg

The system that I present is part of my current pipeline with ZBrush, streamlines the porosity detailing process and accentuates the organic aspect of the skin, being also adaptable to “non-human” skins.

Get realistic skin porosity with ZBrush, step by step
In this example I will start from a sphere, it is applicable to any model.

d.jpg

In the first step we will add a general noise that will give irregularity to the skin. Many people forget that the skin, being organic, will never be regular. If we skip this step our porosity will be too uniform, losing realism.
We enter the Surface panel, inside this we click on Noise. Once the panel opens we will see that the noise is hardly visible, we increase the Scale value, and we reduce the Strength value to leave an irregular noise of a large size, but with little intensity (in this case Scale 51.0000 / Strenght 0.0001) . Once edited, click on Apply to Mesh, and we will use the brush with a low intensity to leave the surface more uniform.

f.jpg

In the second step we will use the Standard brush in DragRect mode with an Alpha of porosity (a low intensity, around 10-15 and in Zsub mode). Once we have the surface of the skin full of this porosity in negative, we will use the Smooth Peaks Brush to soften and give irregularity. * Note: Human skin, depending on the area, will require the use of the brush in Zsub or in Zadd, given the variety of areas.

g.jpg

In the second step we will use the Standard brush in DragRect mode with an Alpha of porosity (a low intensity, around 10-15 and in Zsub mode). Once we have the surface of the skin full of this porosity in negative, we will use the Smooth Peaks Brush to soften and give irregularity. * Note: Human skin, depending on the area, will require the use of the brush in Zsub or in Zadd, given the variety of areas.

h.jpg

With these simple steps, we approach with certain guarantees to the desired aspect in a human skin.

just a note to say that the type for second step has been dupilcated under the third…

Standard brush in DragRect mode with an Alpha of porosity”

you have some special alpha map in mind? I really doubt it could by any map.

what about third step that is missing ?