ZBrushCentral

Lizard marauders _full

Hi folks,

Here is my new pic, completely done (modeling, posing, texturing, rendering) in ZB2. It was made of zspheres and futher modeled in preview mode (I reached 800 000 polys, but I can’t go more because of insufficient RAM :cry:)
However even in this resolution - it is fully posable (I post more shots of this creature later this week). I also want to animate it in zbrush.

What I’ve learned during this session (hope it helps somebody):
:small_orange_diamond: Use smart resymetry often ! (mandatory for sculpting in preview mode)
:small_orange_diamond: Add as much details in lower resolutions as you can
:small_orange_diamond: Start with muscles (if you want some) in at least 100k polys
:small_orange_diamond: Start with tiny details in at least 500k polys
:small_orange_diamond: Save your tool a lot

These principles works for me. I dont say it works for everything, it is still on your own creativity!
Feedback much welcomed!

final_snakemen.jpg

Attachments

concept_posed.jpg

Very beautiful creature :+1:

Will they be integrated with a background ?

Great work and useful tips. I’ve been working towards the same approach here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=21407

Can you post the Zsphere model as well?

great work, i really like your lizzard/fish creature! sort of remind me of the water creatures in onimusha. check those out if you haven’t already, they’re really sweet. if i remember the name i’ll post it up…
do you know which one of your tips led you to have a fully posable model in the end? i’m guessing the smart resymetry, since it’s the only one i don’t utilize frequently of the ones you mentioned, but i could be wrong. every single model that i’ve built so far gets the mesh all messed up when i try and do more than a slight movement with it.

dado

…creatures :cool:
But why there is no more shadows on the second picture ? :confused:
Pilou

Great work with all the detailing and keeping it posable, or should that be zspherable:):+1: Would love to see some extreme poses or how far you can take the model without breaking the detailing too much.

Good job and nice render.

Thanks for the tips.

update2:

here is how it all was done (slightly tutorial form) :wink:

I started with zspheres as usual (with x symetry on). IRES was 30, MBR 50. MC was ON, MP Off (Set it up in Tool:Adaptive skin)
While posing zspheres, check preview often to get you polygons on proper place. Even in this stage I tried to pose it to control twists and prevent futher damages.
Note: Do not try detailize your model shape too much in zsphere stage. Consider it as a bones not a skin. You will be able to control future posing better.
liz_spheres1.jpg

thank you for reading this. hope it helps.

Attachments

liz_process2.jpg

liz_final3.jpg

liz_poses4.jpg

cool works,thanks for your explain:lol:

Very creative work! I like this character!
:+1:

Thnks a lot. Nice character. Time to launch ZBrus en give it a go.

Peace,
RichArt. :wink:

This character is great and your explanation is super informative.

Exactly what are you doing with the morph target to get the various versions?

If you could explain that in more detail, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jaime

MrJamela: well it is not kind of science. The common technique for positioning is:

1. go to zsphere stage (with full symetry - do not pose yet)
  2. store morph target (Tool:Morph target) - this saves your zsphere model position and proportions
  3. now you can set up rotations, move, scale whatever.
  4. after repositioning your model, you can go back by hitting (Tool:Morph Target:Switch) and if you want to, you can delete previous version from store buffer (Tool:Morph Target:Del)

In fact, you can pose your model without stored morph target. But with it, you have more freedom and even extreme positions dont ruin the mesh. The reason lies in way how zbrush calculates polygon position. When you store MT, polygons are derived from stored model and “flow” around the surface, while without it, polygons are displaced relatively with each other. And that can posibly cause defects in mesh.

I’m not developer of zbrush, so this is just my theory. Maybe aurick can explain it better. Conclusion is: stored morph target is better than nothing :slight_smile: