ZBrushCentral

Écorché Study

First time here! Im really excited to share my Écorché study.
This is a challenging piece to a beginner in zbrush but it´s a nice way to study the human body, I did all the pieces from scratch trying to really understand the origin and insertion of each muscle. For this project my references were mainly Paul Richer´s book (Artistic Anatomy) and Acland´s videos (Atlas of Human Body).

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/mendybm

Hope you like it!

Attachments

Mendybm Ecorche.jpg

mendy-bm-mendybm-ecorche-01.jpg

mendy-bm-mendybm-ecorche-02.jpg

mendy-bm-mendybm-ecorche-03.jpg

… I was wondering if you could provide a breakdown on the model? Such as, workflow, brushes used, polycount, and subtools etc…
The muscle detailing is very smooth and precise. How was this achieved?
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Great sculpt, very beautiful…

Awesome, I love the presentation as well : )

Really lovely sculpt overall; I hope you won’t mind a few anatomy crits…

The rectus abdominus (“the abs”) show muscle striations that are horizontal; they should be vertical. And there should be a difference in texture (absence of striation) in the tendinous intersections (the connective tissue areas between the muscle compartments of the rectus), and linea alba (the tendinous line down the middle of the rectus). If what you are meaning to show here is the rectus sheath (a connective tissue envelope surrounding the rectus), then its texture is actually diagonally cross striated at about a 45° angle.

The diagonal “strap” of muscle above the knee is something that is unfortunately common in these kinds of ecorché images. It doesn’t exist. It is an anatomical error that has been perpetuated by people copying some well-known examples. At best, there is a thin, diffuse band of connective tissue in that area, but no strap-like muscle, and it is best to remove it. It is not shown in any reputable anatomy book (and hasn’t existed on the cadavers I’ve dissected).

In the facial muscles, procerus (between the eyes, above the nose) is massive; in reality it is a thin sheet like muscle that blends into the surrounding occipitofrontalis. Occipitofrontalis is shown with two distinct muscle bellies on either side; it is usually continuous across the forehead (though some cadavers do show it distinct on either side, but not as extreme as you have shown it).

You show orbicularis oris (the concentric muscle around the mouth) as superficial to all the other muscles around it. In reality many of the muscles (e.g. zygomaticus major, depressor anguli oris) actually insert superficial to the orbicularis oris, or along its edge.

Hope this helps; it really is a beautiful sculpt otherwise!

Shellac, hi, thank you! It’s a nice idea to make a breakdown, I´ll do it soon.
I separated each muscle in a different subtool, to establish the origin and insertion of each muscle. Also to make the individual fibers (there are 7 types of fiber orientation) it was easier that way. About the fibers, I did manually with a lot of patience. Tried many times, failed others and always using the lazy mouse! I used basically 3 brushes to do it: Claytubes, Inflate and DamStandart… in the breakdown, I´ll show the workflow and parameters I used for each brush. :wink:

NWoolridge, I don´t mind the feedback! In fact, when it has a good foundation, I love to recieved it, so I can grow and learn more! About the belly, I tried to show the external oblique and its aponeurosis, but you are right, the fibers should be in 45 angle…Also, doing it in two diferent subtools generates confusion. I saw this mistake too late.
About the others observations I´ll check them. Thanks man, its helps a lot!

Thanks! I really do mean it to be constructive, and we are all still learning!

There is another issue, I think: the front-to-back skull proportion looks off. In other words, the skull is not deep enough.

Here is a typical skull dimension superimposed on the lateral view…

Once again though, overall it is a beautiful sculpt.

skull_proportion.jpg

it was a dificult decision for me about the cranium size and shape, it varies a lot…but i agree with you, the posterior part feels a little short in the profile view. Btw, i liked the cranium correction you did, its like a hand drawn note! :smiley:
Ty again!