ZBrushCentral

De Vries Arts Sketchbook

phonecall2_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts

Cleaning up this thread to make it about the spiderman set and npr tutorial. Will put future works in their own threads. Cheers!

Attachments

01.Lions_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.com.jpg

02.LionsPainted_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.com.jpg

03.LionsDrawn_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.com.jpg

2 Likes

Using noisemaker to figure out what to do with the fabrics of the outfit.
Probably something more ‘tradional’ spidey, like a sort of woven fabric with a stronger red fabric (with the hexagon pattern, not very original, I know >_<
spideySuit_ThijsDeVries.jpg
Or maybe I should go with something entirely different?
2019-04-17 21_02_42-Window.png

And a bit more look development.
The pants get their gloss from a modified skinShade material: metallic all the way to 1 (to give it the full blue look) and I’ve basicly ‘reversed’ the dif and spec curves, so you get this velvet like quality. The aim is obviously to get that comic book look happening.
spideySuitMat_ThijsDeVries.jpg
A BPR filter is used to get the outlines, but no other NPR effects are applied at this moment. Naturally I will have to try a few brush stroke render techniques when this piece is done :wink:

It’s coming along nicely! It’s gonna look great when you’ve added back in all of the detail, looking forward to seeing it.

Due to limits in resolution for fine detail, I’ve thrown the fabric detail into a displacement map. Unfortunately that requires a color texture which overrides materials applied to the mesh. So I cannot combine them with the different shaders used for pants and outfit. Anyway, things are getting there.
Here some render tryouts with a slight touch of NPR filters applied (although the cellshading variations are set in the materials themselves; filters are there for outlines and a bit of crosshatch in the shadows)
2019-04-18 23_41_45-ZBrush.png
2019-04-18 23_43_39-ZBrush.png
Right now the workflow is: low poly in default pose to Maya, bind to rig there, pose, export posed back to zbrush and apply as layer. I’ve been going back and forth that way a lot as I tweaked the default posed model itself a lot, so the posed version has no polish on itself. Fortunately my rig handles most issues, as I’ve built a lightweight muscle system in there which helps a lot with preventing areas from collapsing when doing such extreme poses, but there are still a few areas that might need a bit of correction once I am satisfied with model and pose.

Here some quick screengrabs of the mesh in default pose with displacement map applied for the fabrics.
2019-04-18 23_47_36-ZBrush.jpg2019-04-18 23_57_15-ZBrush.jpg2019-04-18 23_57_44-ZBrush.jpg
The web pattern has been projected back onto the suit, and quite thick as you can see in the close-ups. That doesn’t look too nice up close like that, but I want the lines to really seem to be on top of the fabric even when seeing spidey from a bit further. Still, perhaps I should tone it down a bit around the fingers. I should have the version without web pattern stored as a morph target though, so that should be fine.

A last quick render for today. Hopefully I get to wrap this one up tomorrow!

Originally I tried to not have this spiderman turn into a bodybuilder superhero, but I felt detail wasn’t holding up in renders, especially the NPR ones, so I did a pass on his entire body beefing him up a bit… a lot. So an update on that:

Also tried out a whole bunch of poses. Here my favorite three:
Crouch

Webslinging (updated version of the one posted before)

Calling Aunt May that Peter will be coming home a bit later… Probably my favorite…-est.
phone1_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.jpgphone2_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.jpg

crawlblack2_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.jpgspideyPhone2_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.jpg

And tonight I’ll have my pc render some fancy raytrace renders such as this. Hopefully then I can move on to other projects >_<
gloss_spiderman_ThijsDeVries_deVriesArts.jpg

Last set of renders I’ll be uploading for spiderman. Working on a small tutorial on the BPR render setup I’ve used to put up after this.

1 Like

Alright, now I am not sure if there is any interest for this, since although this thread has over 1800 views, I’ve only had one comment so far, but I’m putting it up here anyway: a small tutorial on how I did these renders.
Also I saw that videos had been posted on how to do NPR rendering recently, so it could very well be I’m providing redundant information here, I don’t know. But for me this was an interesting exploration in what materials and filters are capable of, so I’m sharing them anyway!

As writing this took longer than I thought, I’m splitting it in two sections, starting with cell shading!
[Edit: I’ve put all the infos in this image right here! Makes it easier to grab it and keep it somewhere, rather than a bunch of texts here in this post.]

I’ve been following your progress and it’s turned out brilliantly. I really appreciate the NPR workflow tips too, for a novice like me it’s always helpful to see how more experienced people work. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Bosh :slight_smile:
I’ve updated the cell-shade tutorial by putting the information into image format, so you can grab a copy and take it home with you :smiley:
BPR filter tutorial will follow later today I hope.

Nice one, I’ll definitely be sticking that one in my pocket for a later date, it’s already cleared up a lot of the questions I had about the NPR filters.

1 Like

Alright, part two of these comic book rendering techniques: BPR filters! Let me start off by apologizing for any typos. I wrote the whole thing in photoshop and that doesn’t have spellchecking as far as I know… Should have written it in notepad first -.-
Anyway, this took me quite some time to put together, so I hope it’s appreciated! Enjoy!
1/3

2/3

3/3

And the final result of this process (with a few tweaks, like putting that highlight on blue instead of red)

Happy rendering!

6 Likes

These turned out amazing. Thank you for taking the time to put all of the image tutorials together. I know how much work goes into that. The community really appreciates you sharing your process

Keep up the work and looking forward to your next post.

1 Like

This is fantastic! Great piece and thank you for the detailed breakdown!

1 Like

wonderful! thanks for posting a breakdown :+1:

1 Like

That’s an awesome tutorial. I think it will really help a lot of people!

1 Like