ZBrushCentral

Fantastic Modelling Tutorial

I stopped by Glen Southerns site the other day and he had a thread recommendation. I checked it out and it has to be one of the best creature modelling tutorials around!!! It’s written by Petey Konig who has worked for Phil Tippett. Although it describes modelling with clay, it is still valuable to all Zbrushers and documents the whole process including skin painting.

So go check it out!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&page=1&pp=60

Wow. Best. Tutorial. Evar.

For Zbrushers learning, that would be a great help (and for anyone else too) :slight_smile:

I second that.
I fact…this is what I did after reading the tread and playing around for a little bit. Really help me out a bit. I think I will make a tutorial on how I made this. Not that I think I am a master or anything. I just want to make something tangable for other Z users to look at. That thread was sculpting and some might find it hard to translate that into Z.

[skin-tutorial-large-sample.jpg]

A tutorial would be great MTB… Thats a great skin texture!

I got a few ideas from Petey’s tutorial. It struck me how much like clay modelling ZB is in comparison to other 3D software. The method of adding muscles individually and smoothing the final surface etc. I might try and make some custom alphas to replicate some of the clay tools.

cool tut , iam waiting for MTB tutor.

Thank you 3DP for posting that link…it took me awhile to get thru the thread cuz of dial-up but it was worth it. Learned alot and it gave me some definite ideas for 3d comp techniques that could be translated from that…as I see MTB was also affected or infected :smiley: :wink: !

Thanks it was a privilege to watch a master at work.

saw that a while back, that guy is amazing!

glad that tutorial helped some people. doing a lot of zbrush lately for virtual maquette type work…this skin looks crazy good. Can/t wait to see how it’s done.

Pete Konig…

Amazing… And very nice to see how its done more traditionally. The painting part is definitely very useful for for texture painting.

I love it, and the character/creature is cool…

actually, one thing the tutorial makes me want in zbrush is a NEXT GEN kinda METABLOB functionality.

when the guy talks about thumbing in clay as a representation of muscles and stuff, this sounds like base level modeling that would really jive well with most zb user workflows.

kinda like zspheres i guess but without the necessity to maintain connectivity to one another and the goal being purely to rough out TOPOLOGY.

right now, zspheres have a focus on STRUCTURE rather than TOPOLOGY and i think that is a mistake in terms of modeling (great for rigging though).

i know there is the other kind of skinning (not adaptive, the other one) but it generally starts off the mesh at a pretty high subdivision and does not have a really great REGULARITY to the generated mesh.

what i mean by NEXT GEN metablob is that it generates extremely regular (evenly distributed), QUAD GEOMETRY with good control in how dense the mesh is.

essentially, i see a LOT OF REALLY GREAT FORMS being approximated with just ZSPHERES (!!!) but something definitely gets lost in the translation to polys with adaptive skinning…

wouldn’t it be great to get a mesh that approximates what the zspheres look like and get a good base cage?

i think this would be a great addition (or heck, just a tweak) to zb’s zspheres!

jin

oh, and the stuff on airbrushing in that tutorial is awesome… very very remniscent of how we would go about it in zbrush with polypainting.

jin

oh! does anyone remember ORGANICA? this was around the time when AMORPHIUM was out… loooooong time ago.

both technologies were WAAAAY PREMATURE for their time. there was not the attendant technologies (like encoding detail into texture, regular quad tesselation, etc) that was required for the tech to be a useful product.

but i was thinking that if we can make zspheres more like organica like metablobs, it would really approximate clay modeling well.

with the ability to turn the blobs into a super-regular quad mesh, it would be a great paradigm for roughing out forms quickly in zb3.

jin

p.s. carls-corner.com/PDF_files/orgdino.pdf