ZBrushCentral

wood material

I searched the forum for a wood- or woodlike material but found none, only
bonecradle’s great picture : "neighbourhood watcher " , but the wood was
texture mapped !
There was nothing else to do but try to make one myself, this pic. shows
the result, its a kinda rough wood, barn,or garden shed like splintery stuff.

![wood material.jpg|794x1058](upload://73Wvjq4SLnCmPH8FQ84n4px4jmc.jpeg)

Lemog 3D Textures :sunglasses:
In fact a wood photography will be always good than a procedural texture :slight_smile:
Nature is always winner :wink:
Pilou
Ps At the end yours are photo texture or compute textures?

Is this a photo based or a computer generated texture?

Jantim…the Material Master!

100% Zbrush material ! No texturemapping !
I agree Frenchie that a photograph as texturemap looks great, but as a 3D
man (or a 2.5 D man in Zbrush) i refuse to give up on the holy quest for the
perfect material :stuck_out_tongue: And remember real people look better than polymeshes
but all of us are trying to make great models !
Aminuts, thank’s for the compliment :smiley:

Here is a rendering with 2 wood materials !

and here are the woodmaterials, not perfect, but you can alway’s try to
improve on them !woodmateriaal01.jpgwood01.zip (17.2 KB)woodpaintGR.zip (18.9 KB)

Great wood materials jantim, thanks! :smiley:

Thanks Marcus_Civis

The problem with these Zmaterials that use “noise” as a pattern is the fact
that this pattern , or grain in this case, does not always follows the model in
a “true” 3D fashion.
To avoid this 2D look you have to light the scene with a big contrast, also try
to make “grain” ,or color ,variations if you use two wooden objects that are close or intersect.

![woodrab.jpg|731x551](upload://vVtEiLwmcusaE2sa3huwuQ2KZPa.jpeg)

jantim before I go on and thankyou I think you should consider changing your name to jantimshadergenious!

Thankyou very! much for sharing not just the shaders but your ideas with us! This is very valuable information for me!

With Salutations

Kircho

Great wood material research, awesome composition.
very good stuff :+1:

…you have crushed the nature :+1:
Pilou

wow… that last one really looks like its supposed to look! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: I have no problem to definate it as wood at very 1st sight. I think thats important when it comes to natural materials - If you recognize it unconsciously as wood without thinking abt it, then its good wood :smiley: You really did great work here!
Thanks a lot for sharing it!!

greets
froyd

Yeah wood! Yeah bunnies! Rufus is pleased. He likes wood, tastes great and he loves bunnies! :smiley:

Nice work Jantim.

:slight_smile: Thanks for the wood Zmats.

In Bryce I use the Deep Texure Editor to make such things for that application. Very Addictive And Fun.:slight_smile:

Is there an editor in Zbrush where one can make or redesign and store these ZMats (.ZMT) files or some good tuts in zbrushcentral somewhere about doing this?

Also I need to know other names people use for these in zbrush.
For example is a shader and a .ZMT file the same thing? if so what other names are there?

I need to know the names so I can speak the lingo when talking about these things and do searches about the topic.

I suppose yes it’s the same thing:) Zmt = File of material
You can’t create a new material, just modified an existant! And save it :wink:
It’s not so bad when you see the result of this one :roll_eyes:
Pilou

I think Frenchie is right : Zbrush has a number of “shaders” Jellybean, metal,3&4
shaderchannelshaders and with these shaders you can make your .zmt materials
you can copy and paste shaderchannels to make new shaders, in the end its
all abouth “making” and not of "definition "

I made some pictures abouth the woodshader that explains its working:

and this one

and "bunny"update

![woodnoise.jpg|992x503](upload://9qcYLUSoyLgF28p3ZMruO0DmA9O.jpeg)![woodspecular.jpg|686x462](upload://szVYR8G48xPADMNcSKpdIM7ekKM.jpeg)![wooden toys.jpg|814x612](upload://1Xb3yNy6gmcDiM4mIVlAh6cgpyz.jpeg)

Thanks so much

Now I know where to edit these and I can see how to change the attributes of an existing material.

What I don’t understand is how to blend two different materials into one new material that has some attributes from each?

Any Help.

Jantim, These are excellent materials.

Another way of slightly altering the look without changing any material characteristics is to move the object back and forward in the world space. Obviously only any good if relative position is not important. However I suppose that if each object is on its own layer then after positioning in the world space and dropping it, the layer can then be moved. However I’m not sure if it still reacts to the world space after it is dropped…I’ll have to check.

Jantim - THE MATERIAL MASTER
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Very very cool materials you have been making lately. Thanks for sharing:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I did not know there were so many wood-lovers :slight_smile:
Digital Daydreams, you can copy and paste shaderchannels, just look at
the bottem for the buttons: “copy-SH” and “paste-SH” and it would be good to download the “shader pack” just search the forum, there are some great materials in it, to use and analyze !
Dogbone, yes by positioning objects in worldspace, or in this case Zdepht
you can alter the noise/grain pattern, it works not only for free floatingobjects
but also for objects on top or in front of other objects, just position the object
and by draging down,with the left-button pressed, you can see the pattern change…and because dragging down pushes the object forwards in space it
does not change , visualy, its position !
This does not work for objects inbetween other objects for obvious reasons !
Here’s a picture explainig this. ( if my explanation is not correct, i would like
to know from other more learned users! )

![woodfacts.jpg|935x632](upload://heiXfCBlXh2tc6NjURntA9C6AjN.jpeg)