Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Follow-up "Neckling_Changing"

After having dealt with the all the response and feedback the "Neckling" had generated I made another little experiment with the same
    model and setup to see about this idea that came to my mind even earlier on. So finally I managed to try it out after the first round of
    Neckling and now, although heavily delayed, here are the results.

ZBCImage.jpg

What times may rise off those revelations. A single base mesh, still just 350 polygons, can be rigged and even animated, yet, it could
    simply be the foundation for a limitless amount of characters, simply changed through the displacement maps on top of it.

•Click on the image below to watch the quicktime movie•

Besides the obvious, what turned out to be quite clever was, that it had an independent map for details, besides the major displacement
    maps, which I could simply keep underneath the exchanging maps. Here's a little look at all of the pieces within ZBrush...

As usual this all was animated and rendered in messiah:Studio, where I could control the "morph" through animatable weight objects
    called "MetaEffectors". Their shader-end-implementation "WeightSpot" allows the use of their weights within the shaderflow. Very
    simple implementation. Within one of such weight systems you can have as many different weight objects as you want to, so in
    this case I just used three to test it out, one over all that resolves through the chin and two for the ears, which have a bit of a
    delayed fading.

Although it may seem a bit odd that I appear to write more about messiah's involvement than about ZBrush, this is because eventhough
    the major part and genuine opportunity to create such a thing comes more through ZBrush than through anything else, I've used
    the very same techniques to create the "Changing" map of the alien as I did for the original "Neckling". Because I was already having
    the "Detail" map done in advance, I didn't have to make too much use of stencils any more as I did for the details. Instead I could
    totally relax and within half an hour make this entire new base displacement by using all the traditional brushes: standart, pinch,
    smooth, nudge. The only other interesting thing is, that I never even went past level 6 of divisions. Yet, the entire render holds up
    for highres renders without any concerns (although I wouldn't go IMax with this one....hehe).

However, it is the intense influence that the use of messiah has on the animation of such high amounts of details through
    the displacement created with ZBrush, which for the first time makes me feel like I shall hold them both up to the same height
    to celebrate the immense power they generate together. With every new experience I make with both packages and how
    their simplicity makes it such a continues flow for the process of creation it more and more appears like there is no handicap
    left to realize the most outrageous characters with every single required detail in order to bring those characters to life.

Still stunned by the ease in which it was possible to create such a formerly impossible type of morph, I am marching forward to
    explore the complete independence from any other modeling tool by spending time with ZBrush's ZSpheres and everything else
    that helps the modeling in ZBrush itself. Looking at those new previews from Pixolator, I'm more and more confident that we're
    dealing here with a one-stop-solution for creating models! Let's see!!!

Welcome to the new generation of 3d animation! (Bold, but trust me, it's true!)

Taron
    Last edited by ZBCModerator; 12-01-04 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added to the top-row highlighted threads.

This is pretty cool! I had envisioned the ease of such a process with Pixolator's sneak previews but find myself beating myself over the head for not thinking or even really considering it before the new goodies arrive.

I myself had considered having 5-10 base meshes with which to great many many versions but had only considered them in terms of creating new meshes....not so simply as creating just the displacements. I saw its possibilities in Pixolator's previews but until then.....dohhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for bopping me in the head and giving me another window to look thru.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Great Work!
    I have a little question for you : what is your way to deal with very fine details ( the bump level I mean not the displace ). Do you subdvide the mesh or more simply use the "bump" material in Zbrush for previewing purpose ( More freedom in the end because you can use all the 2d brushs like blur, glow, sharpen... ), or maybe you simply paint those details in Photoshop ( At least you take some times to see how look those generated ZB maps in photoshop ).

Member Follow User Gallery

Talking Very Impressive...

That look great. It's very impressive for me. I never hope that it was now possible to make a kind of BlendShape animation pose by displacement maps....

I'm sure that Displacement map can be usefull for my personnal project...I doesn't like to work on expensive poly scene , so the perspective of using displacement map on simply 1 000 poly character was good welcome.

Taron ! You have now for a long time a good place in my top Ten CG Artist for your contribution in the CG community.

Sorry for my poor english....

great work, Taron ! really, Zbrush let me think to new dimensions
    3D content creation can have. easy and powerful tools at the same time
    and all the focus goes to the good work on the model , just as it was a
    clay sculpture, or a foam latex puppet like in traditional sfx art.
    and just like u have said u could do several chars with one mesh.

i think also we will see good advancements both into modelling with z spheres
    and rigging/animating in next release and new ones.
    so... maybe ZB will pass from being a very good companion of other big apps to be
    a more generalist but astonishing as well app? i appreciate the modelling/texturing and posing possibilities so far. they're so good indeed. but can't wait for next
    release!!

Default Insane

The beginning of another seminal thread. Nice work T.

Sven

labuzz, on this specific material I didn't have to go into such a super extremely high level of detail to not have enough within divison level 7. However, what I used to do in order to get even finer, was to actually put the alpha map up as a ZBrush document, which therefore shows the 16bit information by bumping it. Photoshop couldn't display those details in a simply grayscale image. The only problem with such an alpha-document is, when you grab it again it may get offset in the grayscale image...former 50% gray may be offset. If that happens I take it into photoshop to correct it again with some level shifting. I hope that all doesn't sound too complicated...I know it's a bit wicked to explain and I'm a bit tired, right now...

However, working on 16bit grayscale images works best within ZBrush and not within Photoshop. That's the main message!

Wink Outrageous caracter indeed

This poor guy has too more watch the TV

I suppose same technic can works for Bamby or Mickey toon
    Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

OMG DUDE!

The possibilities of this...wow..!

Hi Taron,

This is enormously impressive. Keep up the inspiration.

Regards,
    Zendoftheworld...

Tks for your answer,
    If I understand correctly you continue to paint ( in Zbrush ->16B ) on the displace map generated by ZB then you grab this map. You have a precise way to correct the map ( offset value ) or this is just a trial and error workflow?
    more messiah related :
    About the mountain in the back, it looks like you have a gradient based on height ? Since projection ( texture map node to drive the projection ) are not really obvious in messiah can you describe the process? About the displace modeling you have done it in messiah with procedurals or you have used ZB?
    Another thing how have you start to model the base of the landscape ( procedurals in modeler->textued points, basic rough modeling in ZB,...)?
    Tky

once again very impressive to see.
    gives loads of ideas not just for character work..but also environments..say a tree or something wierd...or some form of weathering on a surface! damn cool.
    i like the transitions on the eye and nasal areas and shoulders works well..not keen on wipe on temple area initially..but at the end of the anim the ears and temple areas come alive again anyways so not that noticable...either way its damn impressive bud and seems picky to crit it...so kick me...heh heh. you could make rusty car weathering or something also..dunno loads of things for this are springing to mind..i love your characters they're just damn impressive and something to strive for.

Hey Taron!

You really deliver some awesome work here! I'd love to know 'bout your workflow - You actually made me pretty curious about messiah.

I don't know a lot about it (the one thing you always hear is that Messiah is great for rigging and stuff like that), so it'd be great to know what you're doing to set things like that up - If Messiah gives me a great and easy workflow to rig and test my character (and use it in Maya later on), I'd think about buying a license.

So a tut (maybe even a video tutorial on all of that stuff?) would be awesome - And I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who'd love you for that!

So, keep it up, great work

Thomas, wow, if that all it takes, I'll fix one up right away! I made a camtasia session about 2 days ago for an artist at Grid vfx in Belgium, which demonstrated how to set up such a displacement. It's the smallest camtasia session I've ever done. Starting from scratch it was set-up AND rendered altogether in 1m54sec. And I even took a bit of time to make sure he sees where the mouse-pointer goes. So yes, I will hook up the tutorials to our site ASAP!

You are perfectly right! Thank you for calling it! No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by flingster
    ..wipe on temple area initially..
    Thank you for pointing that out...
    HAHAHA... Yeah, I noticed that a bit late in all the euphoria. I wasn't kidding when I said this entire thing literally took the better end of a night! The beauty is that these are my faults and I love improving on my attention and care. The best is that with ZBrush and Messiah I feel no obstacles and no excuses keeping me from finally start getting the best out of myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast