ZBrushCentral

Tutorial - EZ Zsphere Hand - Good Topography

I spent the last few days learning how to make hands with ZSpheres. Which have to have decent topography for animation. I couldn’t find a good/easy hand tutorial so I invested the time to learn on my own. This is what I learned…

ZsphereHand_TL74.jpg

:large_orange_diamond: Zspheres have built in snap-to connection point system, based on its XYZRes
:large_orange_diamond: The X, Y & Zres must be set before you create the Zsphere :warning:
:large_orange_diamond: The X, Y & Zres settings are found under [Transfrom] when in Edit mode and using Zspheres.
:large_orange_diamond: press Shift +slide Xres, Yres or Zres to change one Res at a time.
:large_orange_diamond: If you Move a Zsphere into another Zsphere it makes a dimple.
:large_orange_diamond: BUT if the Zsphere is a 1/1/1 Res and you Move it into another Zsphere, it doesn’t dimple and allows for Fingers & Toes be modeled with good topography, :bulb: found by complete accident :bulb:

:warning: except when using the ZScript XYZAdjust2, It allows you to alter the Res after its created. - Props go to TVeyes! for this great tool.

Here are the steps to how I made a hand with Zsphere.

(A) in image #001
Start with a defualt Zsphere
Click Edit [T], rotate your view straight on (rotate +Shift)
Hold Shift and click on the Zsphere 2 or 3 times
This make a Zsphere attached to the original with the same size

(B) in image #001
Next go to [Transform] and change the Xres to 3, notice that the Y&Z update to 3 also. Hold SHIFT and change Zres to 2.

rotate your view straight on (rotate +Shift)
Click Draw[Q] and attach a Zsphere.

© in image #001
Next go to [Transform] and change the Xres to 1, notice that the Y&Z update to 1 also.

Click Draw[Q] and attach a Zsphere.

Move[W] the Zsphere into the parent ZSphere just to the point that it changes appearence as if concave.

(D) in image #001
Next go to [Transform] and change the Xres to 0, notice that the Y&Z update to 1 also.

Click Draw[Q], THEN hold SHIFT and attach a Zsphere (to what appears to be a concave Zsphere). Attach (with SHIFT) 2 more times

REPEAT C & D,D,D onto B for each finger the Thumb can be just C & D,D

Scale[E] Move[W] & Rotate[R] each ZSphere until happy with results.

==========================

I’ll attach a script I made to give you a starting point. You will still need to
tweak the Zspheres to make your perfect hand. Enjoy!

this is beautiful…I love you!

i can’t wait to get home and try this out!:smiley:

thanks a mil’ for sharing mate.

That pretty well rocks.

well done tom,

i was wondering how to do that aswell :+1:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I’m glad to see that people are getting something from my pain :slight_smile: It just might be the encouragment I need to do other tutorials from my pain :smiley:

-TL74

Looks like an excellent setup especially with your clever use of a 1,1,1 res zsphere at the beginning of the finger. Thanks for the info:+1:

how could i miss this thread? great hand setup! thanks for sharing!

greets
froyd

Thanks for this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks from me too, as a newbie (to ZB), its good to know that there are ways to make a well structured SDS cage with ZSpheres, the hand is a good example. Now I will have to try inserting loops for the top of finger joints and pads!

You saved me hours of swearing :smiley: thank you.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

excellent, I’ve just been trying to suss hands for the last few days with no success. Thank you
Sav

I liked it so much I just did a quick printer friendly version for myself in PDF form. if anyone is interested its here:

TLONG_HAND_PDF

Cheers
Sav

Hi.
Do I take it right, that now, using marvelous TXT files of the lessons scripts,
we can presently send very small files to avoid large files of the ready mesh?

Anatom.:idea:

Thank you! Your pain, our gain.

Nice tutorial,thanks!!

Thank you for this. Hands seems to be a common problem for alot of beginners with zspheres including I, this should help me :slight_smile:

Tom,
Thank you, thank you and thank you.:+1:

And to avoid sending video tutorials :wink:

Great tutorial! :+1:

i love you too… thanks !!..