ZBrushCentral

Alien Head WIP

Still learning. 3rd model and I have less hair as a result. Loving much about Z-Brush yet frustrated with my own impatience and ignorance. It’s pay back time having tought for so long. I shall now show my students more empathy…nahh.
Anyhow, I intend on going back and juicing this up a bit with projection master painting. Struggled with it this evening, but figured I would at least share it in the works.
Usually I like to start with an idea when I sculpt but in this case I wanted to see how fluid Z-brush was in developing an idea. In other words, I was attempting to see if I could use it in the same way I sketch with pencil and paper. Learned a great deal. FRONT.jpgSIDE.jpgPERSP.jpgGRY.jpgGRY2.jpgZBrush Document.jpgGRY4.jpg

I like the yellow material, and the way the ear blends into the head. I do prefer the head-on and 3/4 shots. Something bugs me about the profile… perhaps its the amount of detail and visual interest in the face (left) compared to the simpler flatter back of the head (right)… just my 2 cents

I definately need to spend some time on the rear. I have not even addressed it from a textural stand point. Even when I do, it is possible that you may still not like it. I do appreciate your honesty.

Awsome work. Add a little more detail to the back of the head and I would be supprised if it doesn’t make it to the top banner. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Hi Neville,

I agree in that the back of the head needs something, but disagree that it needs more detailing. I think that when ya figure out the PM and texturing angle…you can make it work. I think as is with the yellow material…a bit too shiny in front for me as it is…but assume you have grander plans for texturing so will gladly wait to see where ya take him or her hahahaa. I think you have the perfect base for coloring this guy up…and giving him life…take your time…it will make or break this guy.

keep on zbrushing.

This model is top row¡¡
I love the details sculpting and also the skin color. The material i lve the result you reached here¡¡
Congratulations
Andreseloy

Hi Neville, nice alien ! Are the colored shots rendered in zbrush? If they are -how did you achieve that material? It looks great!

H

but impressive shader

I think your alien looks great Neville. Just as it is. Keep this version and work on a copy. With the right texture and lighting, I think you have something wrothwhile. :wink:

:)awesome alien looks very cool :smiley:

Awesome work! Great design. I don’t see anything wrong, other than working more on painting the texture in PM.

Cheers,

very cool design, especially effective from the front and 3/4 view. Maybe it’s the lump at the base of the back of the head that throws off the balance a little in the side view. Not enough to change it really though, it’s a great design. Nice material and lights too. looking forward to more updates!!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Aminuts
I do have grander plans, but an even grander work schedule. I hate that my life gets in the way of my life. Anyhow, I shall get to finishing him up soon.

Herdmann
The color shots are in Z. The whole thing is Z. As for the material, well, I used the shaders the same way I cook: a dash of this and a pinch of that. Honestly, I really felt like I did not know what the hell I was doing. I have very little experience in computer rendering and I have yet to find a good description of how to use the material shaders. I probably have been too anxious and have not looked far enough. Anyhow, the one thing I know that I did was turn up specular on s2 with regards to the cavity color. I mostly stumbled on this result. Next time it will be a bit more pre-meditated.

All others,
Thanks for your comments and enthusiasm.

Neville,
I like it! can’t wait to see it finished. You mention your students, what do you teach? Thanks for the info on the cnc and rapid prototype stuff. I know what you mean about the material shaders. I haven’t had a lot of luck finding much info about them. I also know what you mean about life getting in the way. Personally I have been kind of obcessed with ZBrush since I got it about two months ago. It kind of pisses me of when real life gets in the way of my ZBrushing. My wife calls ZBrush the other woman
keep up the good work
monstermaker

Neville -

Love the wet specularity look on this one. The model is very cool, as well.

See you later this evening…

Monstermaker,
Looks like we are both dating the same mistress. She, like most mistresses, is seductive,hot, addictive, but can sometimes be a bit of a pill.

You’re welcome on the CNC stuff.

I have been teaching design and drawing at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. Mostly in the Industrial design and entertainment program. My classes vary from the basics to advanced perspective. I also teach Photoshop. Now I am the student. Yikes.

Loving your work.

Its rare to see zbrush renders that look so ‘real’ and tangible! Theres a clarity of ‘atmosphere’ you achieve thats fantastic! Great lighting and great material ‘blending’ come together to create a brilliant quality.

Nice stuff!

H

Thanks Herdmann

I love the material and color ,lighting . Looks like a real thing .
you must be a great cook.

Neville, amazing alien design. He looks very wise. I always have trouble coming up with A) Aliens that look convincing. and B) designs that are also functional. Well, look functional anyway. You did a wonderful job.

Your design reminds me of one of my favorite alien artists, Wayne Barlow. I haven’t looked at his work in a decade or 2, but this reminds me of his designs. His work can be found in Barlow’s guide to Extraterrestrials. I have NO idea if it’s still in print.

Anyway, I like the shader a lot too. I also don’t have any real problems with the rear of his head. Most creatures I know of don’t have a lot going on back there, anyway…:smiley:

I can’t wait to see him painted up…

This bad boy should be top shelved and pronto IMHO…

Dickie