ZBrushCentral

Q: Can ZBrush process commands from "outside"?

Does ZBrush have any way to respond to ZScript commands issued from other programs? Being able to control actions from ZBrush in response to external commands could be very useful in some circumstances…

Thanks,
Ken

I think that’s an area where zbrush plug-ins will need to be used. However, right now the documentation for creating zbrush plug-ins…well, it just doesn’t exist. I’m hoping that soon enough the Zbrush SDK will be released and we’ll recieve documentation on how to go about creating plug-ins for zbrush that will do things like this.

Ken,

I was wondering what it was you were trying to do?

I’m thinking there are three ingredients in ZBrush that could permit a batch file of external commands to control ZBrush.

1.) ZScripts can be constructed externally in .txt format then executed inside a launched ZBrush… and ZScripts can call other ZScripts.

2.) ZScript has an “include” command <ZScriptInsert,filename.txt> that could be used to execute those externally edited .txt scripts.

3.) ZBrush has a startup script (DefaultZscript.txt) that it runs each time it’s launched.

(For a long time I have used a <ZscriptInsert> command in my DefaultZscript file to include an AlphaLoad.txt script that can be edited to loadup custom alphas I might be using in a project.)

I’ve done no experiments with this at all, so I don’t really know if this lashup would work. But it seems like all the elements are there.

Sven

Svengali,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve thought of the things you mentioned (and as I learn more about ZScripting, will undoubtedly be doing some of them), but was also thinking about tools that might integrate ZBrush into a larger, multiapplication workflow. For that, it’s better to have central control from a single script or program.

However, it was just an idle thought. I have too much else to learn and do with ZBrush before I start looking seriously at things like that :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ken