ZBrushCentral

Cycle through polygroups

Hi, i wonder if there is a zscript that could cycle thru (hiding all other faces) every polygroup applying a crease command to each of them.

Thanks.

Since it is easy to ctrl-click a group so only it’s visible it’s easy enuf to do without a script.

I am unsure at this point if it’s possible to read the number of groups in a file and then get their numbers or however zbrush defines those to you could then cycle thru them via scripting.

It would be a handy script for tools with large amount of groups tho. But then again if you only wanted 5 out of 30…to crease…would be quicker to do by hand.

An interesting question tho…

someone who actually knows something should be along shortly.:smiley:

As aminuts says, I don’t think it’s possible. But here’s a little script to speed up the process. Load the script and, with your polymesh in Edit mode and groups showing, hold your mouse over a group point (it works best if the little red square snaps to a point) and press the 5 key. A crease will be applied to that group and you can move on to the next.

Thanks very much for your help. I’ll check that crease script out.

The thing is it isnt easy when i have 96 poly groups!

Why do i have 96 polygroups heh ? :), well im having that problem where I need to crease hard edges. Coming from a wings+maya background the most straightforward way is to auto unwrap in wings (takes 2 ticks), then spread each uv shell into its own 0x1 space in maya ( again takes two ticks with a script). This gives me the 96 poly groups.

I know its possible to optimise and use far less groups by manually moving around all the different uv peices by hand, but i have 10 4k poly characters to do and it takes much time to ensure I dont have two adjacent shells in the same poly group.

If you Shift-click the ZB Crease button you’ll crease ALL EDGES of the visible mesh, so if the whole mesh is visible, the whole lot will be creased. This may work for you if you’re importing a low res model and adjust the Crease level slider appropriately. Remember creases are ZB specific. They’ll export but if you export a low res mesh and subdivide in another program they’ll lose their effect.

Thanks that helps and is v quick.

oh cool, I missed this one…cool little script Marcus!!

Another time saver!!! I love you guys!!

It’s a feature that’s actually been in ZBrush for awhile :slight_smile:

Here’s an infographic I made that shows how to do it:
Crease by polygroups low.jpg

Link:
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/zplugins/#zbrush3.php

Attachments

Crease by polygroups low.jpg