ZBrushCentral

Cardassian Woman WIP

Hi all,

This is my second post (my first posts can be found here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=25203)

I was half asleep on Sunday morning and Deep Space Nine was on. As i watched half asleep a Cardassian came on the screen and i suddenly thought, why not?

So I searched around for a couple of usable images of Cardassian females, once I had what i needed I decided to use a female head from a past project as the base from which to start

So far im just finalising the facial structure before i start on the fine details
Tips, crits and general comment welcome.

Cardassian-Female1.jpg

Attachments

Cardassian-Female-2.jpg

Cardassian-Female-3.jpg

Cardassian-Female-4.jpg

That will be a great base to lay the details down. I think you have the general shape coming in just right Zed :slight_smile:

Tartan

Great work!!!
Garek’s Sister?

Garak’s sister? LOL

Gul dukat’s Bitch more like :smiley:

Been really busy with work and other crap life likes to throw your way, so its been a while since I updated this piece. But now I have and here it is.

Just need to do a few more refinements to the Cardassian bone structure and then add the skin detail.

Cardassian-Female-main-deta.jpg

Please let me know your opinion :cool:

Attachments

Card-Female-main-detail-2.jpg

Card-Female-main-detail-4.jpg

Very good work!!! I’ll want to see final model:sunglasses: :+1:

Looks splendid. You didn’t take the easy option of making her face markings symmetrical, and the result looks very organic and believable. :+1:

i agree about symmetry:sunglasses:
cant wait to see the detailed final:+1:

Firstly thanks for all the kind comments. To recieve words of praise from talented artists really makes the heart (and head) swell, you just gotta love this forum.

Okay, secondly i think i’ve F***ed up the skin on this character. The detail i think is too high frequency but it didnt look like that until i put the materials on and rendered it. Well here they are so let me know what you think.

[attach=10869]cardy-woman1.jpg[/attach]

[attach=10870]cardy-woman-2.jpg[/attach]

This one i rendered with Sokar’s skin material

[attach=10871]cardy-woman-3.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

cardy-woman1.jpg

cardy-woman-2.jpg

cardy-woman-3.jpg

Two more

cardy-woman-4.jpg

Attachments

cardy-woman-5.jpg

hmmmm good question Zed. But it looks fine to me… its getting better and better :slight_smile:

Tartan

I like it! I don’t think Cardassians have pink skin though… more grey I think. As far as the skin detail frequency you can clean it up a bit by moving to a much lower SubD level and smoothing it out…then work your way back up through the SubD levels and continue smoothing it. You could also use Projection Master and use the Blur tool with ZAdd to smooth out some of the detail. Just experiment and see which is best for your needs.

There’s a light set-up that accompanies the skin material. It softens the skin somewhat and provides a much better shadow. It should be in the original zip file.

The other thing to do is apply a skin texture map. Make yourself a tile-able skin texture in your graphics app (make it square and with a pixel size a multiple of 2 … ie 256, 512, 1024 or 2048) then try applying it at different HRepeat and VRepeat settings … see what looks best.

Tartan, glad you like it. I really want to take it out of Zbrush and render it in either Maya or Messiah…Perhaps even Lightwave. :sunglasses:

Mentat the skin material I used is just a test-bed for the detail underneath, the cardassian colour you refer to, was i think used more in Star Trek TNG episodes. But they started using a pale yellow almost light beige colour in Deep space nine this colour sometimes changed to a light fleshy skin tone. Glad you like it so far, I used to marvel at your work in the early days of ZBrush 2, always made me try harder :slight_smile: .

Moochie i’ll check it out :+1:

I wanted to compliment you on your work! It’s lovely. Cardassians are my favorite Star Trek species.

I also wanted to ask, and pardon my ignorance, if this is compatible with Poser and/or DAZ Studio 3D software? Also, if it is, do you have these available for those who love your work?

Is the Cardassian woman complete yet ?

It looks awesome so far.

Greetings- this is shaping up nicely! I would like to contact you to ask you a question in private- your email is disabled. Is there another way or can you email me?
Thanks!

~MReshtarc

Wow! it feels like forever since i was last here and you know what? nothing has changed.

There are still obsenely talented artists producing work for show here to inspire others and there are still extremly good natured people willing to offer encouragement and advice. This place was and still the best!!

@ Isadorabelle, Alley Cat and MReshtarc

Apologies for the ridiculously late reply, but I simply hadn’t seen your email.
I haven’t been on this site proper for around three years or so. without wanting to elaborate too much I lost around 95% of my 3d artwork (including all back-ups) in a deliberate act of malice :mad:. When that kind of thing happens to you the idea of trying to pick up from where you left off can be quite daunting (pretty depressing too) so I guess i kind of turned my back on 3D and concentrated on the “bread winner” my IT management position.

However I got my work place to shell out for the latest version of ZBrush (suckers! ;)) and using it again very nearly brought a tear to my eye (no kidding) so I’m back on the horse and ready (I think, v.nervous) to upload my latest WIP.

So in short I won’t be able to upload finished pictures of the cardassian woman or the other images in my sig. But I will be creating new images, I hope you like this just as much.