ZBrushCentral

Make a hair planar texture map using the Directional Brush -Quick Tutorial

Another page from my notebook:

The directional brush is great used in circular strokes to create easy hair texture as viewed down the y planar.

In this way (and many others) many of ZBrush’s Tools excell over those found in the likes of photoshop,Painter or BodyPaint.

hair.jpg

Using the direction brush to create a planar hair map from above, this will be 3D copied onto a sphere.( Transform >3D Copy, where a tool in edit mode that has a new texture assigned to it picks up the texture of the underlying canvas when 3D Copy is pressed - an oldy but goody )

Choose directional brush
switch zadd on
choose a large draw size 155-195
change the draw parameters as above - decreasing the width and height etc to suite.

Create the strokes by circular movements with the wacom pen around the centre of the canvas - hey presto, hair from above.

what a day for me( and for the forum hahhehe:D )
Andreseloy

“In this way (and many others) many of ZBrush’s Tools excell over those found in the likes of photoshop,Painter or BodyPaint.”

However the line airbrush in Painter is better than the fibre brush in ZB in the particular example you have given. IMHO

…hairdresser :smiley:
Pilou
Ps You have not try to use the Spray Stroke for a more eccentric haircut style ? :wink:

He didn’t use the fiber brush. Painter? What’s that? Never heard of it… :wink:

Another good one, Boozy! :slight_smile:

Dogbone, it’s the directional brush I’m demonstrating not the fibre brush - and the “line airbrush” of which you speak if it’s the same one I’m thinking of ( sort of like a string art brush and not a default brush) does not work correctly on later versions of Painter in my case on a mac.

However I’d be delighted if you would demonstrate your results and give a link to what resource folder that line airbrush tool is in and I’ll give it a try.

Remember this is not a detailed painting session just a quick demo of a useful function of the direction brush to quickly reach a simple result that can be expanded on.

Thanks bozzie flozzie!!
Thanks Bozzie Flozzie.jpg
Andreseloy

andreseloy thank you - that’s the first time anyone’s ever given me a ball of fluff.

:smiley:

boozie,

I don’t know why I mentioned the fibre brush, slip of the pen. Anyway the line airbrush in Painter is one of the brush dab types. You can get to it quickly as the “furry brush” in the FX category, then adjust the parameters like colour variablility etc. I’m on a mac and I’ve had no problems with the line airbrush.

Attachments

fur.jpg

Dogbone - thanks for that tip confirming the line airbrush as a dab type and the link to the furry brush.
On a very big size brush with small central twists it does give similar results.

fuzz.jpg

The joy of ZBrush is that there are many different ways of doing similar things. (I’m not trying to turn this into a ZB v. Painter thread, simply demonstrating. Painter is an excellent program.)

Here for comparison (and using some of Boozy’s excellent advice) is the fiber brush. The tool modifiers give great variation in straight, tangled, furry, etc. effects.

Fiberbrush.jpg